Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 54,580 times

Advertisements

I am a health professional currently looking to do some travelling and working in the US. [All visa and red tape are being handled correctly!]

I would like to know more about Pasadena, CA and Fort Worth, TX. How do they compare in terms of
1) size
2) traffic
3) accommodation pricing (i'll be renting)
4) activities
5) health care facilities (where I'll hopefully be working)?

Fort Worth, TX: I am a bit of a city slicker, but I am looking to live and work in a more farming area, to get a good idea of life in the South. I have always been a fan of cowboys, horses and the West. Texas appeals to this desire, but I can only comment and form an opinion of what I have read on these forums. Is my assumption correct?

Pasadena, CA: I imagine LA is a bit like Cape Town. Large, beautiful cosmopolitan city at the sea. It appears as though Pasadena is smaller (just outside), safer and more suburban than LA?

In terms of salaries and cost of living, I see that Fort Worth is going to be cheaper, and more economical. How are foreigners treated in these places? I am a single white female aged 26, no children and just so keen to travel and take a year off to see the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:23 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
I really, really do not like Texas to live in and I grew up in Kenya (as an Ex-pat kid).

Fort Worth is just outside of Dallas, so I don't think you will lack anything in terms of shopping or city life. But it is hot, muggy, FLAT, very far from the ocean, no mountains in sight, and the list goes on....

Pasadena is part of the great LA area. LA is just one huge sprauling city and Pasadena is a part of that.

Greater Dallas area: 5.8 million
Greater LA area: 15 million

There is always something to do in LA or Pasadena. Mountains are right there, beach is close by, weather is fantastic, and on the list goes.

Rent will be about 2 to 3 times the price in the LA area.

Can you take a trip to the States and look at both?

My pick would be Pasadena (or the LA area) hands down.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeTownGirl View Post
I am a health professional currently looking to do some travelling and working in the US. [All visa and red tape are being handled correctly!]

I would like to know more about Pasadena, CA and Fort Worth, TX. How do they compare in terms of
1) size
2) traffic
3) accommodation pricing (i'll be renting)
4) activities
5) health care facilities (where I'll hopefully be working)?

Fort Worth, TX: I am a bit of a city slicker, but I am looking to live and work in a more farming area, to get a good idea of life in the South. I have always been a fan of cowboys, horses and the West. Texas appeals to this desire, but I can only comment and form an opinion of what I have read on these forums. Is my assumption correct?

Pasadena, CA: I imagine LA is a bit like Cape Town. Large, beautiful cosmopolitan city at the sea. It appears as though Pasadena is smaller (just outside), safer and more suburban than LA?

In terms of salaries and cost of living, I see that Fort Worth is going to be cheaper, and more economical. How are foreigners treated in these places? I am a single white female aged 26, no children and just so keen to travel and take a year off to see the rest of the world.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
I would choose LA.

You can't exactly compare Pasadena to Fort Worth. It has to be LA to Dallas.

LA is several times larger, has better weather, has mountains, has the ocean, has less humidity, and is more of a world-class/cosmopolitan city.

LA has worse traffic for the most part, but Dallas isn't a breeze either. It just depends where you need to drive.

LA is definitely more expensive.

LA definitely has more activities, venues, night life, eating, etc.

LA has the two of the best hospitals in the country- Cedars Sinai and UCLA Medical Hospital. USC is also amazing.

Pasadena itself is smaller than LA, but you would cannot tell when you are in one city and enter another as almost all neighborhoods look similar. Not architecturally, but LA just flows outward and never gets smaller until you reach the Inland Empire which includes Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Pasadena by no means gives off a small town vibe. It has a lively downtown with plenty of nightlife, shopping, and dining.

LA is more accepting of foreigners. I actually know many people from South Africa, most from Johannesburg and a few from Cape Town.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 AM

Thanks for your input!

Nice to know you have friends from South Africa, jessemh431.

I am going to look up some data and stats on Pasadena on this site now.

I think what I have heard about Dallas is that there is quite a bit of political tension, and rife with racism, and I have had ENOUGH of that in South Africa!

Will keep you posted with details.... thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 AM

397 posts, read 1,025,895 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input!

Nice to know you have friends from South Africa, jessemh431.

I am going to look up some data and stats on Pasadena on this site now.

I think what I have heard about Dallas is that there is quite a bit of political tension, and rife with racism, and I have had ENOUGH of that in South Africa!

Will keep you posted with details.... thanks
I am a German expat living in San Diego. I have been to Cape Town several times, and it is a beautiful city! You will NOT enjoy moving to Fort Worth. Going from Cape Town to Fort Worth is like moving from San Francisco to Omaha! You would be moving from a cosmopolitan, vibrant, colorful city to one where conservatism and religious fundamentalism is rife. Many people there have never even travelled out of TX. Choose Pasadena any day.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 AM

Hey Gretchen! Thanks for the tip!

How does San Diego compare with Cape Town?Are you enjoying life there?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
small world.

my ex-bfs family owned a very large winery in Costantia but we lived out at
Clifton Beach-loved my time there.

SoCal is far more similar to S A but Ft Worth is a bit cheaper.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 AM

397 posts, read 1,025,895 times
Quote:

I love it here. It is a beautiful city with many things to offer. You are close to beaches, desert, mountains, Mexico etc. and I like the mild weather. It is also more laid-back and relaxed than LA, but LA is still very accessibly close if I need to go there.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
small world.

my ex-bfs family owned a very large winery in Costantia but we lived out at
Clifton Beach-loved my time there.

SoCal is far more similar to S A but Ft Worth is a bit cheaper.
Is that in California really ?
It looks so tropical...

Old 02-27-2008, 05:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:

LA is more comparable with Cape Town, but SD is really just LA on a lesser scale, so you could say Cape Town is still similar. LA is a world-class, while SD is North American-class. If you like lively and busy places, LA is more for you. But if you like the more laid back lifestyle, SD would be better since if you the cosmopolitan feel, LA is only an hour away. However, I prefer very large cities, crowded areas, ritzy things, and warmer weather. SD is cheaper than LA, but still more expensive than almost anywhere else in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles