Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 03:13 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

I mean, It's pretty shocking how dumpy, dirty, run-down most places in LA look. Even the "nice" areas of LA.... have a certain "seen better days" vibe to them...places like Santa Monica, Bev Hills, Bel Air, etc... Granted, those areas are still "nice" but they look....... old...or past their prime.

Not trying to hate on LA at all. Naturally, it has some breath-taking views and nature trails/. Naturally, LA is quite pretty, but the city itself is actually a horrible place. Depressing, trashy, homeless everywhere. Rotted and depleted... I live in Irvine and when I got home yesterday was all the more thankful I don't live anywhere in LA county. Even Pasadena.... Diamond Bar, etc... just look tired. The roads, the parks, the buildings... run down. Venice is another awful area to visit. Used to be a cool/funky/kinda fun/hippy-esque type place....alternative lifestyle type of place. Now, it's a literal toilet.

Sad sad sad. I remember when I was younger 5 to 10 years ago, I though LA was the place to be.... Now, I am so thankful I don't live there. Infrastructure is not maintained. Trash everywhere. Literally driving in the freeways and they're all covered in trash. Homeless encampments everywhere. Oddball nut jobs roaming around like night of the living dead. Truly disgusting. Even the street signs and signs on the freeways are covered in soot and graffiti..... the roads are all super bumpy and worn out. Place just looks so tired and gross....very ugly

Again, sorry, I was just so shocked when I went up to LA yesterday. I was in Pasadena. Griffith/Hollywood are and downtown LA. Also, swung through santa Monica. All of it was underwhelming and has deteriorated so much from the days when I used to go and be enamored by it all. If I had out of town guests visiting me in orange county and I would take them everywhere EXCEPT LA. I would literally be embarrassed... the sheer degradation.... the squalor, the soul-sucking nature of the trash and homeless.. of the run-down nature of it. Like, everyone just gave up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 03:15 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Disagree. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2020, 03:24 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Disagree. Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too!
I'm glad somebody likes LA. Honestly.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:57 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
I agree. I lived in Santa Monica when I was a kid and LA looks like a different world now. My friends in OC refuse to go there unless they have to. Unfortunately I think LA is past the point of ever returning to a nice dynamic city.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:09 PM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
I generally agree, though much of LA south of the hills and in the SF Valley is exceptionally flat with six lane boulevards, which adds to the dreariness of its design. I've always liked the part of Silver Lake by the reservoir for this reason, defies the standard LA look.

Re: trash and degradation, been wondering a lot lately how much of this is bad government vs. other factors. Trying to do good and having bad turn out unintentionally has become standard with California pols, especially the Dems.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:31 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
All types of development eventually look dated and dumpy. It's probably just the time now that the postwar sprawl that composes much of LA has run its course and needs to be replaced. Especially since LA is a relatively young city, it can be jarring when things look old in a city accustomed to things looking new.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I mean, It's pretty shocking how dumpy, dirty, run-down most places in LA look. Even the "nice" areas of LA.... have a certain "seen better days" vibe to them...places like Santa Monica, Bev Hills, Bel Air, etc... Granted, those areas are still "nice" but they look....... old...or past their prime.

Not trying to hate on LA at all. Naturally, it has some breath-taking views and nature trails/. Naturally, LA is quite pretty, but the city itself is actually a horrible place. Depressing, trashy, homeless everywhere. Rotted and depleted... I live in Irvine and when I got home yesterday was all the more thankful I don't live anywhere in LA county. Even Pasadena.... Diamond Bar, etc... just look tired. The roads, the parks, the buildings... run down. Venice is another awful area to visit. Used to be a cool/funky/kinda fun/hippy-esque type place....alternative lifestyle type of place. Now, it's a literal toilet.

Sad sad sad. I remember when I was younger 5 to 10 years ago, I though LA was the place to be.... Now, I am so thankful I don't live there. Infrastructure is not maintained. Trash everywhere. Literally driving in the freeways and they're all covered in trash. Homeless encampments everywhere. Oddball nut jobs roaming around like night of the living dead. Truly disgusting. Even the street signs and signs on the freeways are covered in soot and graffiti..... the roads are all super bumpy and worn out. Place just looks so tired and gross....very ugly

Again, sorry, I was just so shocked when I went up to LA yesterday. I was in Pasadena. Griffith/Hollywood are and downtown LA. Also, swung through santa Monica. All of it was underwhelming and has deteriorated so much from the days when I used to go and be enamored by it all. If I had out of town guests visiting me in orange county and I would take them everywhere EXCEPT LA. I would literally be embarrassed... the sheer degradation.... the squalor, the soul-sucking nature of the trash and homeless.. of the run-down nature of it. Like, everyone just gave up....
If you are talking about the down town City of LA as the general area, probably true, but the city actually covers a lot of area that most people see as other cities and they are not. So overall it has good and bad areas. Just like other cities.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

You never been to NYC then, or Philly for that matter

I take the worst nabe in LA over ok areas of NYC or Philly. At least the weather is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGjaIfB36Ws

Old 12-25-2020, 08:18 PM

151 posts, read 113,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
All types of development eventually look dated and dumpy. It's probably just the time now that the postwar sprawl that composes much of LA has run its course and needs to be replaced. Especially since LA is a relatively young city, it can be jarring when things look old in a city accustomed to things looking new.
Hahaha, I am afraid not. Just one example: Savanah. Oh and Europe.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:46 PM

151 posts, read 113,643 times
LA is a victim of its own success. It has managed to draw in millions. More recently and most strikingly, during the last decades, it drew in millions of poor and unskilled people. It has been slowly (sometimes not so slowly) deteriorating since the 70s when these waves overwhelmed much of the city. Its demographics are completely changed. It's atmosphere in terms of taste, quality and cleanliness, has drastically changed in poor areas. Nonetheless, immensely attractive pockets remain which is what foreigners imagine. (What they find is a far cry from what TV shows them.)Pity those areas are a sliver of Los Angeles' land. And pity too that those poor areas seem to be the majority of areas.

In addition to demographic change, there are fiscal disasters that LA has wrought. LA allowed its roads to rot while putting all of its resources into mass transit. LA now has a moderate system for mostly poor people to get around. However, even with those investments, Los Angeles is still too spread out. Investments into mass transit seem to have been misplaced. Now the city finds itself in a disastrous state, with failing schools and much else.

As for Downtown, it has been fairly successfully rejuvenated. However, it lacks the feel of an eastern city in some parts. For example, Five star residential buildings see relatively few residents walking around, often its just the same DTLA crowd walking around. It therefore lacks the feeling of an organic city, at least for me since the residences seem to only drive. Other parts of DTLA really have achieved a real city feel. I like those areas.

When I was a kid in the LAUSD, LA bragged about how good its schools were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles