Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family considering move to California, husband to work in Inglewood, seeking; good neighborhoods, good schools, close to acting studios for auditions

Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 24,417 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have posted previously about this topic but now am switching gears wanting to know what would be a good area if I want to get into the entertainment industry while the hubby works in Inglewood.

First priority is school for my kids 2) Commute to Inglewood for him, and I to auditions/studios/entertainment related stuff.

Money is not an issue. I want to be close to the studios, but yet make it easy for him to get to Inglewood everyday and yet have excellent schools for my kids. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the replies..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,879,691 times
I could be wrong, but I don't think switching gears is going to get you any better answers than your other post. Your priorities remain the same. You can travel for auditions/studios/entertainment related stuff from any of the cities that have been, previously, recommended by the members here.

So, to get different answers, you're going to need to change one of the other variables. If you're willing to extend the commute time for your husband, you bring into play Palos Verdes Peninsula with outstanding schools, upscale living, etc. But he's looking at 45-mins to 1-hr commute in the morning and longer in the evening depending on where you'd be located. You would also be bringing in options in Pasadena. But his commute will be even longer than PV.

So, let's watch out for that old insanity definition

Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 PM

18 posts, read 77,782 times
Default Audtions

I've lived in Inglewood since 1961 & work as a costumer. Something you need to remember when considering audtions or acting jobs. They can be anywhere from Santa Clarita to Manhattan Beach to Culver City. Any warehouse can be turned into a studio. Production offices where you might have to audition might be anywhere in LA. So understand that you may not always be going to a regular studio area. Raleigh Studios are in Manhattan Beach. Lots of things are made in Santa Clarita. Sony is in Culver City. There is a major studio just west of Downtown LA. I had a friend who recently was working at some sort of studio in Victorville.

A lot of people I know who work in the industry, but have spouses who work outside the industry & have children seem to live in Glendale.

Your priority would be need to be good schools for the kids & ease of commute for hubby, because he does it every day. You may not get an audition for several weeks then you could have 3 in one day, in totally different parts of town. People here understand that when you say you'll be there as soon as you can & tell them where you are, how long ASAP is.

So if you had an agent tell you to get to an audition at Warner Bros & you are home in Woodland Hills & it is noon, you probably won't be there in 20 min.

Now is certainly the time to look for foreclosures in the more upscale areas, but even foreclosure prices are not going to be cheap compared with what most of the country might be used to.

Some of your decision would also be based on the time of day that your husband commutes. If, for example he odd, long hours, so that he's making 1 part of the trip in the very early morning or late at night, then you might consider a longer commute for him, if gas prices are no worry. Also if he works 12 hr shifts 3 days a week rather than every day, then longer could be good as well. That's why much of the Inglewood PD used to live in Simi Valley.

But if he's working regular hours, then I would suggest looking at El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach.... El Segundo has remained the most like the old California beach cities with nice neighborhood businesses & off the beaten track... It is within minutes of Inglewood. It's drawback is that it is between LAX to the north & the Chevron Refinery to the South. It is this position that has sort of protected it.... but you'd be looking at typical California housing prices... upwards of $500K.

Manhattan Beach... home prices of $1 million. However, all of those towns have their own school districts.

If you should get further south to Redondo Beach, which is still north of PV, then it will take him about 1 hr to get to Inglewood, simply due to the fact of fighting traffic in the beach towns to get out.

Santa Monica to the north of LAX has its own school district... but depending on location in Santa Monica... for your hubby 45min-1 hour. Santa Monica is also a big enough city that you would need to know where to settle. It has good & bad areas.

When I work at Warner Bros or any of the studios on the north side of the Hollywood Hills I figure on 90 min. In the wee hours you can do it in 30, but not between 6am-1am. If I work at a studio on the south side of the hills in Hollywood, then I'm looking at 60 min & no way that a freeway will be of help. It's just a straight shot up La Brea.

It would be the same if you chose to live in those areas & your husband worked in Inglewood.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 77,782 times
Default Climate?

I should have mentioned that besides considering schools & commute times, when looking at LA, you need to consider the type of climate you want.

Here in Inglewood I never have to use my heat or more than a fan. I am in an older duplex. If it faced west, the inside would never be hot. However, another 5 miles east is getting into warm territory. The Valley... 100+ in the summer. Palmdale? 100+ summer, occasional snow in winter.

LA is a region of very narrow climate zones. PV can often be foggy all day while Long Beach, less than 5 miles away might reach into the 80s. I can be in the 60s in Inglewood, while Hollywood & Downtown LA & Beverly Hills, all about 10 miles away will get into the 80s. The peak temp here will be hit at about 1 pm. Then, unless there is a major high pressure heat bubble sitting over the whole of LA, the sea air will come in about 2pm... by 4 pm the marine climate will be in full force... cool & damp. That will remain with grayness usually at least until mid-morning... but 3 miles east won't have that.

Personally, I've stayed in Inglewood all these years because of the climate. I am not a Valley person. Plus, even if I got a series at Warner Bros or somewhere up there, it could be cancelled & my next job might be down this way at Raleigh in Manhattan Beach. One never knows where the next gig will be, so why bother sacrificing cheaper rent & a good climate?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:32 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholastica8 View Post
I've lived in Inglewood since 1961 & work as a costumer.
These two previous posts were outstanding. Lots of really good practical information.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 AM

Location: Los Angeles, soon to be in Houston or Dallas (undecided on which one)
11 posts, read 40,092 times
I agree. Scholastica8 described everything perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These two previous posts were outstanding. Lots of really good practical information.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 AM

4 posts, read 10,015 times
The city of Inglewood forced my wife and I into bankruptcy. I'm not going into all the details but here are the following:

[LEFT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.wesleyberryflowers.com/flowers_pacific_area_office_CA.html"][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Around 1999 the city of Inglewood cited my wife and I for not blocking access to their garage with a boat. Inglewood law only allows a boat in a private backyard if it is placed in the middle of a two car driveway to intentionally block car access. No the law is not written to expose the intent to block a driveway so parking a car in a garage to comply with law mandates moving boat at night and after car is in garage move boat back to block driveway. And repeat moving boat to get car out next day. [/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.wesleyberryflowers.com/flowers_pacific_area_office_CA.html"][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Charles knew the constitution prohibits the legality of laws to restrict or interfere with using a home like blocking a driveway. But in court didn't know the way to express this with the judge insisting on the public defenders always being the mouthpiece for each accused. Public defenders spent so much time in court they never returned phone calls. So they really represented the court to lie and claim the accused was represented. Dissatisfied with progress with the boat requiring a crane to mount on a cradle they were fined the $3,000 needed to put shingles on the roof. So the roof needed to have a blue tarp on roof for four years so a citation for roof tarp in violation of city code was issued. But without the funds court crooks stole was a legitamate reason to use a tarp and prolong and extend the citation. Charles kept going back to the code department for years explaining lack of funds until the inspector grew tired of extending citation and dropped it like it was corrected. The Caldwells didn't keep a record of how long tarps were up so sometimes when it rained water soaked ceilings and one started to fall. A board was placed to not allow it to fall in the kitchen nook and next year in the dining room. Lighting fixtures held water with water overflowing and dripping so plastic tubes were used to direct water into 5 gallon pails with both kitchen lights. One day part of the living room ceiling dropped when not home.[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.wesleyberryflowers.com/flowers_pacific_area_office_CA.html"][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Water soaked ceilings expanded and cracked the paint so the ceiling in the kitchen, service porch, dining room and living room was destroyed. Two walls in the bathroom developed paint blisters. Paint in the bedrooms had huge blisters.[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]After the fake trial and disgusted with Inglewoods code uglification department I stopped at the Best Buy in Lakewood and noticed the Lakewood city hall across the street. We had talked about moving to a better community so I walked over and asked them about where they want a boat in a private backyard. The woman said they would cite me if the boat is parked on the driveway to block garage access.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Since then I have noticed many cities either don't cite people or they welcome people with different tastes including those that like boats. I cannot forget stopping by a friends home in Rossmore my first year in college. His dad had a boat about 45 feet long parked in the driveway. Is Rossmore more of a live and let live community than Inglewood? Are Inglewood residents more childish and petty than where homes are worth two to four times more? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Or is our neighbor that has complained about everyone on the block just an obnoxious person with nothing better to do with her life than stick her nose in other peoples business? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.wesleyberryflowers.com/flowers_pacific_area_office_CA.html"][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]A few years later the house needed paint required going back to code department to extend correction date for lack of funds until a new inspector grew tired of extensions and dropped the citation. [/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.wesleyberryflowers.com/flowers_pacific_area_office_CA.html"][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The city had a department of kids to help seniors unable to paint property but couldn't find any way to help us resolve citations. [/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]After I was fired the last time for poor memory we decided to try to start our own business since we have no retirement other than social security. About two years ago Pam had breast cancer surgery. We had to wait for her social security disability so she had medical with her long term disability.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]After watching the conduct of Inglewood Mayor Dorn embezzle city funds to pay back campaign contributors and show he is a racist with his conduct towards Judy Dunlap many attending the city council meeting were disgusted.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]My opinion of many political leaders is to many of them are childish adults seeking some way to get legal or illegal bribes. Dorn is being prosecuted for taking a loan he is not entitled to. City council members only meet about 40 times a year but Dorn made sure he is paid as a full time working mayor, about $97,000 a year. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]The main problem with degreed illiterates in political power is they don't care about people they believe is below them. Older Inglewood lots are a little larger than lots in West Los Angeles. Gangs are a problem in many cities and even non gang members get shot in gang warfare fights.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Blacks and Hispanics are asked where they are from and shot and executed on the spot even if not in gangs. Why because illiterate snobs in power don't care or have the balls to stop gangs like New York City did a few years back. Now we get laws to ban plastic bags and not body bags.[/FONT]

I would advise living in a city next to Inglewood to keep drive time short. Los Angeles starts around 1st street near Manchester but check out city limits. Inglewoods uglification department is known for being obnoxious and if one of their employees attends the same church as a neighbor city employees take sides.

You may want to ask people at the Vons on Manchester or Food 4 Less on Century how they like code enforcement. They made the family at 90th and 10th take down a metal shed attached to their garage of the home they just bought. I noticed the shed is still on google maps two days ago. But know it was not there six months ago.

Westchester has nicer homes than Inglewood near Manchester and Sepulveda. Even if they cost a few hundred more a month may be worth it. I believe they are under Los Angeles code enforcement with less a reputation of harassment. Older parts of Playa del Rey are like Westchester lots. Possibly a little smaller.

Good luck. Hope this was helpful.[/LEFT]

Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,073,440 times
Culver City. If you haven't been following the news, Inglewood's a little dangerous right now. A lot of trigger happy cops.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 PM

276 posts, read 1,015,907 times
If you must live in Inglewood I would suggest you find something in North Inglewood, North of Centinela (know as old Ladera to some), West of Labrea.

Some parts of Inglewood is shoot-out city, and there are elements moving into the area that are just not what you would want to live close to, especially for your children. At one time Inglewood was a prime area of Los Angeles.

As others have suggested, one can live all over the city/burbs and get to studios. offices, etc. People in the industry live all over the LA area. Me and my husband both work in the industry. There are studios and production every~where.

If money is no problem try Ladera, Culver City, Fox Hills, Westchester, Santa Monica, the beach cities, and even Beverly Wood, Cheviot Hills, Westwood, or Beverly Hills. If you settle in BH you have decent public schools, and from other areas you can find very good private schools for the children.

As for traffic, during high traffic hours you will be in traffic from almost every location in the LA area. It seems that no matter what the time of day traffice is a fact.

For the folks who say that people are leaving LA that may be true, but just as many are coming to LA every week to try to become a star, just as they have been doing since the late 1800's LOL!

Break a leg!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles