Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 11:08 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times

Advertisements

I recall several years ago that the mayor of Lancaster wanted to attract more “gays and Asians” to his city in an effort to curb crime and attract more upscale amenities and businesses.

https://nextshark.com/california-may...ill-save-city/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 02:07 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
To be honest I see nothing wrong with the Lancaster/Palmdale area,it's just like every other city in the country with it's good and bad areas....And one of the things I like about the Lancaster/Palmdale area is it's not crowded and you have a more winter-like feel in this area than you would down in the L.A Area,and also temps are also known to drop into the teens at night/early morning during the winter,and also you get snowfall more frequently there than you would down in L.A.

A friend of mine that lives there says it get's windy there often too,that it took over 7 years for her fruit tree to grow a single fruit,because the constant wind were blowing the seeds off her tree.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:53 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post

A friend of mine that lives there says it get's windy there often too,that it took over 7 years for her fruit tree to grow a single fruit,because the constant wind were blowing the seeds off her tree.
My plum, peach and nectarines all bear fruits the 2nd year. It's kind of amazing to watch them grow from a 2 foot stick (yes I practically had a heart attack when I cut them this short after I planted them). My Asian Pear are beginning to bear fruits on the 3rd year. But my cherry has not, hopefully this year.

On the first year, the nectarine tree did not sprout new leaves until almost June. I thought for sure it did not survive the winter but I resisted from pulling it off. That very year it grew to 10 feet. I had to cut it down by half of its height in order to open up the center, changing from a pyramid shape to open vase shape, but it grew back and continues to grow. It's a beautiful sight to behold.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:08 AM

10 posts, read 15,461 times
Does anyone commute?
If so, how’s your drive?
Do you get used to all the twist and turns of the freeway?

I work from home but my husband works in Beverly Hills he would be commuting to and from work. He works overnight so traffic wise I think he will be fine. The drive on the 14 scares me for him.

Are there a lot of accidents on the freeway?
Do Palmdale streets or the freeway get “black ice”?
Do people drive crazy on the freeway?

Sorry for all the questions and all responses are appreciated.

Last edited by Boymomof3; 02-12-2021 at 12:22 AM..

Old 02-12-2021, 12:25 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boymomof3 View Post
Does anyone commute?
If so, how’s your drive?
Do you get used to all the twist and turns of the freeway?

I work from home but my husband works in Beverly Hills he would be commuting to and from work. He works overnight so traffic wise I think he will be fine. The drive on the 14 scares me for him.

Are there a lot of accidents on the freeway?
Do Palmdale streets or the freeway get “black ice”?
Do people drive crazy on the freeway?

Sorry for all the questions and all responses are appreciated.
I commuted to Jet Propulsion Laboratory, nestled up against the hills just off Highway 2/Angeles Crest Highway. Most of the time, I rode in a vanpool "over the hill". The 'twist and turns' were not enough to keep most of us from taking a nap. I usually listened to music or language tapes on my audio device.

On the rare occasions when the Crest was closed due to fires or snow, we "drove around", (i.e., 14 to 5 to 210). The commute time was almost the same. Longer distance taking the freeway, but faster, especially in the carpool lane.

When I drove myself, I went over the hill, but had beefed up the suspension on my car so it could really handle the curves. That made it a "fun" commute.

As to your questions specifically:
How was the drive? Tolerable. A few times, after a decade or so, I wished on occasion that I didn't have to do it. But, living outside the basin made the commute worthwhile. To be out of the congestion made the drive worthwhile for me.

Did I get used to the twist and turns of the freeway? No real 'twist and turns' on the freeway. It's pretty straight. The real curves are on the Angeles Forest and Angeles Crest highways.

Are there a lot of accidents on the freeway? Not any more so than anywhere else. They happen, but if you know about them beforehand, you can take alternate routes, of which there are many.

Black ice? Sometimes on the mountain. Not so often on the freeway. You watch the temperature and when it is cold enough for ice, you just drive very carefully, and slow down a whole lot. We never had a problem in the 14-passenger van. And we hit some on the north side of Mill Creek Summit.

Crazy drivers? Yup. Some of them. Can't get away from that. Thankfully, you will usually notice them before it becomes an issue, and just stay away from them and let them pass.

Outside commute hours, the 14 is an easy drive. It may have changed, but when I lived there, the carpool lanes were open to all outside rush hour. It's an easy, quick run. Once you hit the San Fernando Valley...that's a different tune. Usually heavy traffic, but outside rush hour, moves along nicely. The Sepulveda Pass and Caheunga Pass are always busy. Don't envy your husband for having to drive those. He's going to end up hating his commute. Getting to the Valley, and across it are easy enough, but from then on, it is hell.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 02-12-2021 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 05:53 PM

Thank you so much for the detailed information.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:06 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boymomof3 View Post
If your husband "reverse commute" then I think he should be fine. He can also look into van pool if there is one. That will take a lot of stress off his commute.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:23 PM

Thank you and he does work reverse commute. Palmdale to work (Los Angeles) at night and coming back in the mornings.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:48 AM

85 posts, read 115,192 times
I'd choose Yucaipa, Calimesa or Beaumont over Palmdale.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:44 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
I'd choose Yucaipa, Calimesa or Beaumont over Palmdale.
Her husband works in Beverly Hills. That commute isn't feasible, at any time of day.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles