Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 08:49 AM

234 posts, read 303,402 times

Advertisements

Palmdale/Lancaster have always enjoyed their seclusion and isolation from the rest of LA county. Sure, many people commute down the hill anyway, but back home they don't have to deal with the overcrowding and traffic that dominates the region. It'll take many years to fully develop, but just understand that that area is going to change drastically in the years ahead because of projects like this:

https://scvnews.com/19333-homes-planned-for-quail-lake/

"Centennial is one of three large housing communities planned for the Tejon Ranch in northwestern Los Angeles County and southern Kern County. The Centennial project is planned for up to 19,333 homes at Quail Lake (L.A. County); Tejon Mountain Village is approved for 3,450 homes at Lebec (Kern County); and Grapevine at Tejon Ranch is envisioned as a 12,000-home community (combination of single-family homes and multifamily units) in Kern County."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 01:06 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
Palmdale/Lancaster have always enjoyed their seclusion and isolation from the rest of LA county. Sure, many people commute down the hill anyway, but back home they don't have to deal with the overcrowding and traffic that dominates the region. It'll take many years to fully develop, but just understand that that area is going to change drastically in the years ahead because of projects like this:

https://scvnews.com/19333-homes-planned-for-quail-lake/

"Centennial is one of three large housing communities planned for the Tejon Ranch in northwestern Los Angeles County and southern Kern County. The Centennial project is planned for up to 19,333 homes at Quail Lake (L.A. County); Tejon Mountain Village is approved for 3,450 homes at Lebec (Kern County); and Grapevine at Tejon Ranch is envisioned as a 12,000-home community (combination of single-family homes and multifamily units) in Kern County."
My father gift deeded a residential lot to me 19 years ago located in California City (Silver Saddle). When he purchased the lot during the early 1980s, the Antelope Valley had started to boom with the increase in aerospace and defense industry employment as well as the nascent Space Shuttle program at Edwards AFB. It was thought at the time that the growth would continue northward into California City.

California City is the third largest city in land area in the state with only a population of 15,000. As one could imagine, not much development has taken place over the past 40 years. If the developments along the Grapevine and Fort Tejon take off, I hope that California City could possibly position itself for sustainable master planned development.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:36 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
My father gift deeded a residential lot to me 19 years ago located in California City (Silver Saddle). When he purchased the lot during the early 1980s, the Antelope Valley had started to boom with the increase in aerospace and defense industry employment as well as the nascent Space Shuttle program at Edwards AFB. It was thought at the time that the growth would continue northward into California City.

California City is the third largest city in land area in the state with only a population of 15,000. As one could imagine, not much development has taken place over the past 40 years. If the developments along the Grapevine and Fort Tejon take off, I hope that California City could possibly position itself for sustainable master planned development.
I am surprised there are as many homes there now. The last time I was anywhere in that area, it had far fewer. That was years ago. Interesting to see what happens.

I would pick Palmdale for sure.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
I am surprised there are as many homes there now. The last time I was anywhere in that area, it had far fewer. That was years ago. Interesting to see what happens.

I would pick Palmdale for sure.
The City has been seeking to attract cannabis cultivation and dispensaries as well as solar farms to broaden the tax base. The residential growth they have seen in recent years is from lower-income folks who moved up from Los Angeles seeking a lower cost of living. There are no supermarkets in Cal City. The closest supermarket is located in the town of Mojave (Stater Bros). However, there is a Dollar General that has a grocery section as well as a Family Dollar and Rite Aid. There’s also a McDonald’s.

Last edited by sacreole; 02-14-2021 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 04:13 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
The City has been seeking to attract cannabis cultivation and dispensaries as well as solar farms to broaden the tax base. The residential growth they have seen in recent years is from lower-income folks who moved up from Los Angeles seeking a lower cost of living. There are no supermarkets in Cal City. The closest supermarket is located in the town of Mojave (Stater Bros). However, there is a Dollar General that has a grocery section as well as a Family Dollar and Rite Aid. There’s also a McDonald’s.
Interesting. I was at Mojave once. A small town in the middle of nowhere but still better than California City was. Been to and also through the Palmdale/Lancaster area many times.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:36 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:

I worked in the Valley in mid-80s and I've heard older guys talking about California City but that "boom" was in the 70s. The developer even planned routine bus service from California City to DTLA. By mid-80s, California City was a bust. Knowing the timing with Space Shuttle time frame, that would make sense as the Shuttle planning was in the 70s, initially launched in '81.

By late 80s, we began to hear "cheap homes" being sold in Palmdale. $60K to $85K with one acre lot. We often joked about those home must have the San Andreas fault in its backyard. But by the mid-90s, things changed and you can see it driving along the Hwy 14, that is the development of Antelope Valley Mall, also commonly known as the "Palmdale Mall". From talking to coworkers who's been living in the AV for a long time, if they bought home 15-20 years ago, they'd bought them in Lancaster. But anything more recent, they bought them in the West Side of Palmdale. The desirability between the two has reversed.

When I was looking to moving to AV, I did my research with credit goes to this forum. From reading many threads here, it appears the most desirable neighborhood in AV is West Side of Palmdale, specifically the "Rancho Vista" neighborhood, the 2nd is the West Side of Lancaster. Then it's the East Side of Palmdale (east of 40th street) and the last was East Side of Lancaster. I chose the Rancho Vista neighborhood 'cause truth be told it look the least like a desert town with tree-lined streets and well manicured lawn. We have neighborhood Walmart, Starbucks coffee, Traders Joe's and a wide variety of restaurants to choose from.

There's a big difference between development along I-5 and along Hwy 14, IMO. The old Valencia neighborhood of Santa Clarita is very nice, upscale, with good schools. The area reminds me of Irvine as both are master-planned communities. I am sure the future development in Centennial further north will be just like Valencia as well. But these nice neighborhoods come with a price. First is cost, they'll be practically LA housing price range. Second is traffic congestion. The Santa Clarita area are designed as a suburb extension for those who work in LA and will be forced to commute daily. In the evening commute on I-5, the traffic started to back up before the Hwy 14 split going north to Santa Clarita whereas the split to 14 flow smoothly.

I know many in AV also are making the daily treks commuting to LA but I certainly wouldn't want to do it. The AV has an economy of its own with employment base with aerospace prime contractors in Palmdale Airport, Mojave Airport, and the Edwards AFB. along with its schools, and hospitals. The housing cost is much less in AV compared to the Santa Clarita Valley as well, about 50% less. So we enjoy a lower cost of living yet not sacrificing the quality of life.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:21 AM

85 posts, read 115,192 times
Living in Palmdale and working in Beverly Hills isn't sustainable. Get a new job near where you want to live.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
Living in Palmdale and working in Beverly Hills isn't sustainable. Get a new job near where you want to live.
The OP mentioned that her husband will have a reverse commute due his later work shift. So, it may be doable for him.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:15 AM

85 posts, read 115,192 times
A commute of 61 miles per direction is absurd. If you can't afford to live closer, change jobs or leave the area.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:16 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazenjames View Post
A commute of 61 miles per direction is absurd. If you can't afford to live closer, change jobs or leave the area.
Easy for you to say. Do you live near Beverly Hill? With 3 kids to support?

Last year I drove 60 miles one-way commuting daily to my job. It wasn't fun but it can be done. It's much easier to adjust with a supportive spouse. We do what needs to be done to support a family.

Think before you speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles