Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from Miami to Los Angeles, seeking; best area to raise family, best areas to rent house/apartment, renting guest house, room, temp agency

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 PM

15 posts, read 312,466 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody and thank you in advance for your responses,

I will be moving to LA in the mid of June and have been researching a lot, until I found this site.
I am moving with my 12 yr old child. I will be working for a news organization (Spanish) sending news packages to them and also working on some tv independent projects with a friend. I am orgininally from Central America and have been linving in Miami for almost twenty years) so, I know about warm weather!
Since I've been working independently as a Journalist/Producer for a long time, I am prepared to support ourselves with those jobs and are not moving to LA attracted by the entertainment industry. My goal is to work also on the area of documentary production for non profit organizations on social issues.

...and having given you that background here are my Questions:

-What would be the best area for my child. Education is important for me and would like to continue what she's accomplished so far:
She has good grades, in spite the pressure of this age...Going to 8th grade.
she has always been in the full time gifted program and right now attends an Arts magnet school after having passed an auditon on ballet (her passion). She is also a member of the National Junior Honor Society, so, keeping up with that is my main goal.

My choices, after my research and questions to some friends over there are
Woodland Hills and Santa Clarita.What do you think? (other recommendations are welcome)

-I won't be looking for apartment just yet because I want to know and confirm about my decision once we are there, so I want to start either renting a guest house or a room in a house (depending on the rent I can find during the time we are moving) Your thoughts???

-and finally, as a bonus Q if any of you know about an agency for temp or freelance works at non profits or documentary production companies...(I read about those in another forum)

Many, many thanks for your input.

temp agencies or contacts for non profits or doc productions co
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossyem View Post
Hello everybody and thank you in advance for your responses,

I will be moving to LA in the mid of June and have been researching a lot, until I found this site.
I am moving with my 12 yr old child. I will be working for a news organization (Spanish) sending news packages to them and also working on some tv independent projects with a friend. I am orgininally from Central America and have been linving in Miami for almost twenty years) so, I know about warm weather!
Since I've been working independently as a Journalist/Producer for a long time, I am prepared to support ourselves with those jobs and are not moving to LA attracted by the entertainment industry. My goal is to work also on the area of documentary production for non profit organizations on social issues.

...and having given you that background here are my Questions:

-What would be the best area for my child. Education is important for me and would like to continue what she's accomplished so far:
She has good grades, in spite the pressure of this age...Going to 8th grade.
she has always been in the full time gifted program and right now attends an Arts magnet school after having passed an auditon on ballet (her passion). She is also a member of the National Junior Honor Society, so, keeping up with that is my main goal.

Woodland Hills and Santa Clarita.What do you think? (other recommendations are welcome)

-I won't be looking for apartment just yet because I want to know and confirm about my decision once we are there, so I want to start either renting a guest house or a room in a house (depending on the rent I can find during the time we are moving) Your thoughts???

-and finally, as a bonus Q if any of you know about an agency for temp or freelance works at non profits or documentary production companies...(I read about those in another forum)

Many, many thanks for your input.

temp agencies or contacts for non profits or doc productions co
Where will you be working? How far from your job do you want to be?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
one thing jumps out at me: you want to rent a room in someone's home with a child in tow? good luck with that. apartment landlords have to take kids; people renting space in the homes which they occupy do not. would you want someone else's child living in your home?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
...I will be moving to LA.....

-What would be the best area for my child......

Woodland Hills and Santa Clarita.
Where in LA are you going to work?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Thank you!
First answer to Laysayfair
Since I'll be covering stories on the Latin community (no necessarly hard news) but profiles...I'll be moving from place to place, depending on assigment...and about the pilots we'll be filming in a place that is close to a military base (sorry forgot the name right now) but all those filmings will also be in different places...that is why my child's school is the focus...and have friends in Santa Clarita...but like Woodland Hills more.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
one thing jumps out at me: you want to rent a room in someone's home with a child in tow? good luck with that. apartment landlords have to take kids; people renting space in the homes which they occupy do not. would you want someone else's child living in your home?
to Kateink:

Yes, because I love kids. I have rented space in my house to University students and once, this girl had her child, and it didn't bother me at all...but again, I know that it depends on the person and for me will be temporary.
Thank you for your input.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,291 times
They have very good public schools in La Crescenta/La Canada. They do not have much rental housing in La Canada (it is very expensive there), but they have some rental homes and apartments in La Crescenta.

Also, I think I remember seeing on the news that students from Woodland Hills won an educational award a few years ago and they have a lot of rental housing in Woodland Hills.

I don't know anything about the public schools in Santa Clarita, but I think your daughter would probably be fine there too, but it is a bit of a commute into LA from there, so that location might be a problem if you plan on working in LA on a regular basis.

Most people locate their housing as close as possible to their employment because the commutes here are so awful.

Best wishes on your move and your new job.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
to Kateink:

Yes, because I love kids. I have rented space in my house to University students and once, this girl had her child, and it didn't bother me at all...but again, I know that it depends on the person and for me will be temporary.
Thank you for your input.
i love kids, too, but it isn't something i would do unless i knew the family, or their situation were VERY desperate. i doubt i'm unusual. i don't understand why you don't want to rent an apartment. if you look around, you can find month-to-month leases, in case you change your mind and decide to return to miami or go wherever. legitimate guest houses are very expensive, and many people will try to rent their illegal garage "apartment" as a guest house, so be careful there.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
They have very good public schools in La Crescenta/La Canada. They do not have much rental housing in La Canada (it is very expensive there), but they have some rental homes and apartments in La Crescenta.

Also, I think I remember seeing on the news that students from Woodland Hills won an educational award a few years ago and they have a lot of rental housing in Woodland Hills.

I don't know anything about the public schools in Santa Clarita, but I think your daughter would probably be fine there too, but it is a bit of a commute into LA from there, so that location might be a problem if you plan on working in LA on a regular basis.

Most people locate their housing as close as possible to their employment because the commutes here are so awful.

Best wishes on your move and your new job.
THANK YOU Christine. I already began to look on those places. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
If you are looking for somethin temporary, you may want to check craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events there is a section for temporary housing. I don't have children so I can't recommend schools, but from what I understand, Woodland Hills has very good schools. As for the non-profit, documentary companies, there are several Spanish channels here (Gala, Telemundo) that may be able to assist you. There is also a Spanish newspaper that may be of assistance, La Opinion. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles