Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 13,902 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We will be moving to Los Angeles from Toronto in summers. My wife's work gave us the opportunity and we decided to give it a shot. We have 2 kids (10yr and 6yrs old).

Currently, work location is not that important as it will be WFH. Once things open up, we can choose the office location either between Santa Monica or in Orange County (close to Irvine). We both work in IT.

Our single most priority is very good schools, safe neighborhood with young families.

Santa Monica and the surrounding areas are too expensive to start with.

We are looking to rent for around $3500 but can go to $5000 if required.

I was looking a little east at Burbank, Glendale, South Pasadena and La Canada.
Was leaning more towards La Canada, seems the schools are pretty good there.

As for Irvine, its a good area and the schools are good but with very less diversity. Please correct me if thats not the case.

Here are few of my thoughts, any help to better understand the area and decide will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone can suggest any good school rating site? Although its relative, but its a start to look for schools. I've also started reading about charter schools, although I'm not sure whats the general perceptions are about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 09:25 PM

203 posts, read 165,248 times
Go for Irvine. Or look at other parts of Orange County. Much cleaner, safer, greener. Schools are better.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 PM

Thats what I thought Irvine as well. The only thing I not sure of is diversity, its seems heavily Asians there. Not against anyone but here in Toronto its quite multi-cultural and wanted to go in the similar environment. I could be totally wrong though.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:55 PM

203 posts, read 165,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pank24 View Post
Thats what I thought Irvine as well. The only thing I not sure of is diversity, its seems heavily Asians there. Not against anyone but here in Toronto its quite multi-cultural and wanted to go in the similar environment. I could be totally wrong though.
Yes, Irvine is heavily Asian. But, first of all I don’t see it as a problem, and second, it’s not like you would be in some sort of enclosed monocultural community. There are Caucasians, Indians, Persians, Hispanics, etc. The entire South Orange County is very nice and pretty diverse. Some nationalities are more prevalent in certain areas. But it’s not like enclosed ethnic enclaves, and it’s pretty easy to get around. With young children, I’d especially pick South Orange County over LA. Much more family friendly atmosphere, more green spaces, parks, etc. Fewer big city problems, like homelessness, addiction, etc.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:48 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,209 times
Try niche. com . It does yearly rankings ratings of best school districts and schools.
I've looked over the LA and OC school districts. There are many good school districts to choose from. The more affluent, higher or more expensive an area often equates to good school districts. Though it is not always the case for different reasons. I think Pasadena city is a good example I hear. It is a nice mix of middle and upper class residents and also working class. But the school district is mediocre because the population of middle and up dont have many kids or none and likely to send them to private schools than the public school district. So the students in public are often more the working class backgrounds thus why it is more mediocre. This affects future families who desire better schools to seek elsewhere like South Pasadena, LA Canada, Arcadia or San marino cities attracts more families than childless or retirees. But these are residential suburbs cities than Pasadena which has major offices, industries along.
Burbank and Glendale cities are similar to Pasadena with tier income, but many send their kids to public than private thus their districts tend to be better rated.
Santa Monica Malibu school district has been quite popular and expensive for decades, thus working class family people have been pushed out. And thus families that can afford to live there find other students with families who share similar educational interests. Many coastal areas like Manhattan Beach city to Palos Verdes are similar. Affluent, educated family types.
Los angeles city being the big dense city lost these middle class and up families to these smaller independent cities. So the student population tends to be immigrant children or low income and education families. Richer families send kids to private school like kids from bel air. Or some are charter schools in nicer areas. Currently things are changing in LA with citywide gentrification as immisnd low income are slowly pushed out while young educated mostly childless people move in. Schools won't change overnight.
Niche com is one good site that and greatschool site, too. I think one site does breakdown things more like demographics, but not sure

Old 02-24-2021, 07:53 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
Yes, Irvine is heavily Asian. But, first of all I don’t see it as a problem, and second, it’s not like you would be in some sort of enclosed monocultural community. There are Caucasians, Indians, Persians, Hispanics, etc. The entire South Orange County is very nice and pretty diverse. Some nationalities are more prevalent in certain areas. But it’s not like enclosed ethnic enclaves, and it’s pretty easy to get around. With young children, I’d especially pick South Orange County over LA. Much more family friendly atmosphere, more green spaces, parks, etc. Fewer big city problems, like homelessness, addiction, etc.
I agree with all of this (I live in South OC, but grew up closer to LA, so I'm very familiar with both).

OP, am I correct in assuming that you are also an immigrant? You will find people from all over in the Irvine area, and it is a very family-friendly area. Some people feel the Irvine schools are almost too competitive and achievement-focused, but they do turn out very good results.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:16 PM

Correct I am an immigrant as well. Sure I'll explore Irvine. Wanted to know how is LA Canada for families? Is it similar to Irvine?

Old 02-24-2021, 05:25 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pank24 View Post
Correct I am an immigrant as well. Sure I'll explore Irvine. Wanted to know how is LA Canada for families? Is it similar to Irvine?
La Canada is great, but if you had to commute (eventually) to Santa Monica regularly you're going to REALLY hate life.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
La Canada is great, but if you had to commute (eventually) to Santa Monica regularly you're going to REALLY hate life.
Commuting from Irvine would be extremely bad to.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:01 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Commuting from Irvine would be extremely bad too.
Oh, absolutely, but OP said there is an office in or near Irvine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles