Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 10:59 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm not sure how you figure that Best Buy's selection of TVs is better then Amazon's. Best Buy's website lists 450 TV models. Amazon lists over 1,000 models.
Gross numbers are meaningless in this case. Amazon's inventory of anything lists an insane amount of varieties. Yet once you get beyond the first 100 results, you are getting things you couldn't begin to care less about. There are quite a few 2020 model TVs that are available at BB and unavailable on Amazon.
Quote:
Best Buy's prices are better on TVs. Some of the prices are just crazy. But I'm not sure that is a good thing for Best Buy. They are selling a lot of those at a loss.
How do you know that? The only way to claim this definitively is to know their costs on those units. I am going to guess you aren't privy to this information. As a matter of fact, Best Buy and other retailers have cut-off points beyond which they will not match prices in order to limit or prevent these losses. Just because $300 for a 55-inch TV might look crazy to you, it doesn't mean it's being sold at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This story came out a couple days after Frys announced they were closing:

Best Buy Laid Off 5,000 Employees in February, Expects to Close More Stores This Year
I'm not saying Best Buy is optimally run. The very existence of some of their physical locations is still a relic of the old times when Amazon and other online merchants were not as prevalent as they are today. So it's inevitable these types of changes are going to take place to enable a leaner operation. All I'm saying is that Best Buy, the company, will not close anytime soon.
Quote:
Also, I've noticed Amazon matches Best Buy's TV prices or goes even lower.
Chicken and egg situation. I've seen it both ways.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:06 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Quite the contrary, actually. I’m going to miss Fry’s a lot (see my posts from 2/24 & 2/26 on this thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I'm really not sure why this is giving you such joy...

Old 03-08-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Quite the contrary, actually. I’m going to miss Fry’s a lot (see my posts from 2/24 & 2/26 on this thread.)
I might have been confused by the giant smiley face...

Old 03-08-2021, 02:38 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm not sure how you figure that Best Buy's selection of TVs is better then Amazon's. Best Buy's website lists 450 TV models. Amazon lists over 1,000 models.

Best Buy's prices are better on TVs. Some of the prices are just crazy. But I'm not sure that is a good thing for Best Buy. They are selling a lot of those at a loss. Which is not a good sign for their future.
Good luck with that Amazon television after the delivery person throws it over your gate and onto your concrete walk-up.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Good luck with that Amazon television after the delivery person throws it over your gate and onto your concrete walk-up.
Something that's happened...never?

Old 03-08-2021, 05:45 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,297,310 times
My friend bought a TV from Amazon. The remote didn't work.
Amazon sent a generic remote. It didn't work either.
Amazon sent a repairman. That's when the friend asked me to come while he was at work. The repairman did something, but he couldn't make it work.

That's why it's better to buy something heavy offline.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
My friend bought a TV from Amazon. The remote didn't work.
Amazon sent a generic remote. It didn't work either.
Amazon sent a repairman. That's when the friend asked me to come while he was at work. The repairman did something, but he couldn't make it work.
Something bad happened once, so you should never again do that thing that you did. Once. Quality logic.

I bought a heavy piece of equipment for the garage from Amazon once. It didn't have a friggin' power cord. I ordered said power cord. Amazon paid for it AND discounted the original item, even though it was not SUPPOSED to have a power cord (it just wasn't obvious from the product page). Are there any long-reaching conclusions we can draw fom this solitary experience?
Quote:
That's why it's better to buy something heavy offline.
The hell does anything have to do with weight? Your friend bought a bad TV. If he had bought it from Best Buy, he would have had to load it back into his car and schlep it over to the store himself. Amazon, on the other hand, would have paid UPS to pick it up from his house. For free.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Something that's happened...never?
Oh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM3SRG7D21Y

Old 03-08-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I didn't see a TV being chucked over the fence in that video, did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles