U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 28,052 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the above areas in L.A. County sue to my job relocation. I was looking for a house in La Canada but the housing prices were incredibly high. So I started to look around La Crescent, Montrose and Glendale of which housing prices seemed relatively reasonable.

I would appreciate any input on the neighborhood security of those areas.

Unbrand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 PM

7,142 posts, read 19,560,019 times
All are very nice foothill communities. Glendale is the closest to LA, which probably leads to slightly higher crime rates than the others, but overall you can't go wrong with any of those areas.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:52 PM

241 posts, read 847,001 times
I've lived in Shadow Hills, Sunland, Pasadena and La Crescenta.

I really loved La Crescenta. Montrose is great, too, but La Crescenta is bigger and will have more available for housing. Keep in mind that there is a small strip of La Crescenta, From Pennsylvania Avenue to Lowell, which is considered the City of Glendale. The rest of La Crescenta is LA County. Both have their pros and cons. If you want to do any construction on the house you are buying, stay out of Glendale, for example. Glendale tends to have very strict building codes. But, the Glendale police department is really great and reliable. If you have kids, I would recommend La Crescenta because the schools are really quite good.

I would only recommend moving to Glendale if you could get a home closer to the Foothills. Towards the middle of the city it is so crowded. The traffic alone would drive me nuts, not to mention the lack of parking. I rarely went into town because of it. It does have a lot of energy, shopping and restaurants, but it was such a pain for us. We would drive into Burbank or Pasadena for a good dining experience.

Yes, La Canada is beautiful, but rent and housing are going to be outrageous there. Also, you may want to check foreclosure listings for La Crescenta and Montrose, I've heard there have been some defaults lately.

Lastly, for more bang for your buck, you may want to check out Tujunga. Some of the homes on the border of La Crescenta are really nice and have a lot of land.

Again, it all depends on what you are looking for and what your family needs.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:43 PM

571 posts, read 1,753,961 times
Glendale is one of the safest cities in America.. I read somewhere it was rated #22 or #23 .. The police here are very good at what they do. Generally the further north you go into Glendale the nicer it gets. Glenoaks area is very good and the area around the college. If you just keep going up Glendale blvd. then you'll hit La Crescenta, Montrose, etc. but to me it's too rural up in the mountains and I like to be in Glendale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles