U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,837,682 times

Advertisements

Might be a good idea to ask this on the Boston forum. Since you are already living in LA, you know plenty about it. Whereas, what you might learn in the Boston forum could make or break the deal.

You said that you are looking there because that's where you got the offer. How hard is it to get a job offer? If you will get another sometime soon and it might be somewhere else, then maybe you should wait. However, if a job is hard to come by, it might be best to take it.

I know with my type of job it would be one of the stupidest things a person could do to turn it down. There is only about 1 opening in the country for every 200 or so applicants. Most never get on the job.(firefighter) So if your job is like that, then maybe it would be smart to take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 AM

110 posts, read 286,872 times
Job is with IBM sales. I have this perception that to work in IBM sales is one of those rare opportunities that doesn't come dime a dozen. Further, an alumni from business school reached out to me for this opportunity. The reason why it's in Boston is because the headquarters for this division of IBM is in Boston and so all training, etc takes place there. I told them that I have no intentions of staying for the long-term as I want to come back to Los Angeles...response was that IBM is everywhere and once you prove yourself then the choice would be yours.

My mom is retired and my dad is retiring in a couple of years. They are supportive and would visit as frequently as possible.

I posted in the Boston forum as well, and of course, the response is to come there.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:10 AM

17,454 posts, read 16,313,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejinro View Post
I told them that I have no intentions of staying for the long-term as I want to come back to Los Angeles...response was that IBM is everywhere and once you prove yourself then the choice would be yours.
Sounds like a good job opportunity and one which would be more difficult to take if your kids were older. If your family is supportive, you should give it a shot. I'm assuming that your wife is all for it. I have a cousin outside of Boston and she and her family love it there (however, she's originally from Chicago and he's from N.H.) Make sure you're well aware of the difference in weather; maybe it'll be a nice change for a few years. And when you come back, housing prices certainly won't have dropped to pre-1999 levels, so you won't lose anything.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 PM

81 posts, read 311,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejinro View Post
Here's the scoop:

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I currently work in the public sector and got my MBA recently. I was offered a software sales position but the location is in Boston. The company is global, publicly traded and very well known and established.

I am married with two kids and we own our home. Our kids are not in school yet but will be later this year.

Deal or no deal?

I know that this is a "moving to LA" forum but wanted to get some insight.
Thanks.
Well, Los Angeles schools stink. You have a chance to move to a nicer, cleaner and safer city. I say take the job, get out and never look back. I have several friends who have left this city in recent years and they are all so happy they did. Go, and don't look back.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:16 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzxyz View Post
Well, Los Angeles schools stink. You have a chance to move to a nicer, cleaner and safer city. I say take the job, get out and never look back. I have several friends who have left this city in recent years and they are all so happy they did. Go, and don't look back.
The thing is, a person moving from LA to BOS isn't gaining too much as far as getting more house per dollar (it that is important); BOS is expensive too, plus the weather stinks and traffic isn't too much better.

But if he does go, I hope he wears Laker garb everyday there.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 PM

241 posts, read 845,768 times
Default CA native who moved to the East Coast recently...

I too, was born and raised in the Los Angeles area (Pasadena/Glendale) and I'm in my early 30's. We moved to Raleigh, North Carolina about a month ago.

I'm having trouble acclimating. I'm really homesick. My husband, on the other hand, loves it here and is thrilled we moved.

You've already gotten a lot of good advice for a move to MA, but I'll give you my opinion

The pros vs. cons for me:

Pros:
1. Cheaper housing and we're still seeing steady appreciation here (we're renting a 2600 square foot house for the price of a 1 bedroom apt. in Hollywood)
2. Less people
3. GREAT for raising a family (Schools are much better etc)
4. People over here, on average, have more education under their belts. It might even be even more apparent in Boston.
5. Average age here is 32-ish, which is cool
6. Clean Air
7. Less traffic
8. Less crime
9. On average, cost of living is cheaper
10. Slower paced lifestyle, less stress.
11. We've easily made new friends and everyone is super friendly
12. "four seasons" including a mild winter in NC
13. I enjoy "exploring" and have had fun finding new restaurants and hot spots in the area.
14. No more earthquakes!

Cons:
1. I miss the "energy" of Los Angeles. The city has a pulse and vibe that I'm so used to.
2. Nearest beach is 3-4 hours away. Even farther for you in MA!
3. slightly severe weather here (tornado watches, hurricanes... I suspect you'll be shoveling snow is Boston!)
4. I miss my friends and family
5. I miss really good Mexican food
6. Health insurance is more expensive here for some reason
7. The humidity makes everything smell musty. Yuck.
8. Disneyland isn't close by!

I know I'm forgetting something...

Old 06-01-2008, 02:46 PM

571 posts, read 1,751,450 times
L.A. to Boston will be quite a difference.. you should take your family on a vacation there and check it out

Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 PM

8,337 posts, read 26,827,230 times
Pros:
- Your housing dollar should go farther in Boston and in general you will have access to better schools
- Boston is a charming city in a charming region with endless things to see and do. NYC, DC, Newport, the cape, the whole eastern seaboard is there
- Better transportation, commute options available
- people are better educated and generally more 'connected' with the rest of the world
- Boston is a much smaller city than LA (may be a con)

Cons:
- New Englanders and northeasterners are often cold, racist, and grumpy
- New England winters are no joke and summers are surprisingly nasty too.
- You will pay more taxes, upkeep, heating and cooling costs.
- You may feel isolated because you're "not from here"

120k isn't exactly the big bucks but you should be able to do well in Boston, personally I would say that unless relocation is paid for, they'd have to make a really sweet deal to get me to drop my life and move halfway across the country.

Last edited by Sassberto; 06-01-2008 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,541,807 times
I agree with sassberto above, on all points. Personally, I wouldn't do it. The difference in money isn't good enough for the trade-offs.

How do YOU like Boston? How does your wife like it? It's its own flavor and if you don't care for it, even a doubling in salary wouldn't be enough, because you still have the winters, the clannishness, etc., to deal with. If you actively like it, though, that would help.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 AM

110 posts, read 286,872 times
Thanks for all the comments. I ended up not accepting the job offer. I feel like a big burden has been taken away, what a relief. Besides, where one can one surf in the morning then ski in the afternoon all in the same day. The biggest thing for me though (that held me back) was my family/friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or