U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:11 PM

110 posts, read 286,872 times

Advertisements

Here's the scoop:

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I currently work in the public sector and got my MBA recently. I was offered a software sales position but the location is in Boston. The company is global, publicly traded and very well known and established.

I am married with two kids and we own our home. Our kids are not in school yet but will be later this year.

Deal or no deal?

I know that this is a "moving to LA" forum but wanted to get some insight.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM

72 posts, read 178,569 times
Boston is the same to the East Coast as San Francisco is here - great educational and creative atmospheres. Both are very liberal and most important, they both have great baseball teams. I'd love to live there, but only in the summer. Hope I've been of help.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:32 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejinro View Post
Here's the scoop:

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I currently work in the public sector and got my MBA recently. I was offered a software sales position but the location is in Boston. The company is global, publicly traded and very well known and established.

I am married with two kids and we own our home. Our kids are not in school yet but will be later this year.

Deal or no deal?

Thanks.
You haven't provided enough information for anyone to even remotely provide you with useful information.

What do you expect people to write?

"Yes, go for it, there is so much history in Boston."
"No, the weather is great in LA."
"Yes, Boston has four seasons."
"No, LA has the diversity Boston lacks."
"Yes, Boston doesn't have LA traffic."
"No, Boston has LA traffic."

Are you willing to answer questions such as "How much money do you make now and how much money would you make in Boston?"?

Not trying to be an obstacle here but I would expect you will get very subjective responses spray painted all over the place.

Last edited by Charles; 05-08-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 05:34 PM

198 posts, read 279,222 times
Quote:
Here's the scoop:

Deal or no deal?

Thanks.
The Boston area is an incredible area. It has everything a young family could ever want. The winters can get a little dicey, but there are more than enough positives for you to give it a try. If nothing else the food is worth the move...the best Chinese, Italian, and seafood on the East coast...New York City is an equal, I will admit. Great sports..you could become a Patriots, Red Sox, and Celtics fan...or even a Bruins fan.

It will be a cultural adjustment, but one you might very much appreciate. I spent 55 years in Maine before moving to Orange County, but Boston is still my all time favorite city. If you sell your home here in LA, you could probably live in one of the better suburbs...Chestnut Hill and the Newton area pops into my mind.

Maybe you should visit Boston as quickly as possible. Take a look around and sample what the Hub has to offer. This time of year is beautiful, and if you go down to the Fanueil Hall area, rub Red Auerbach's nose for me.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:51 PM

110 posts, read 286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You haven't provided enough information for anyone to even remotely provide you with useful information.

What do you expect people to write?

"Yes, go for it, there is so much history in Boston."
"No, the weather is great in LA."
"Yes, Boston has four seasons."
"No, LA has the diversity Boston lacks."
"Yes, Boston doesn't have LA traffic."
"No, Boston has LA traffic."

Are you willing to answer questions such as "How much money do you make now and how much money would you make in Boston?"?

You'll get very subjective responses spray painted all over the place.
You bring up some good points. I guess I am just nervous and stressed out as I would take this opportunity if it was in Los Angeles.

The position is in sales (an area I want to be in as my goal is to become an account manager/exec) and the money is potentially given that I do/sell well. There is a rigorous 3 week training class before you are talking with customers. In terms of money, I am at 80-85 now in the public sector with great benefits, retirement, etc but the pace is too slow here and just feel like it's a dead end. The potential at this new job is 90-120K.

We currently live in a suburb of Los Angeles and we bought a home in 1999 for a good price. Our plan is to rent it out and rent in Boston.

We know not one soul in Boston.

Anything else that would help?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 PM

198 posts, read 279,222 times
Quote:
You bring up some good points. I guess I am just nervous and stressed out as I would take this opportunity if it was in Los Angeles.

The position is in sales (an area I want to be in as my goal is to become an account manager/exec) and the money is potentially given that I do/sell well. There is a rigorous 3 week training class before you are talking with customers. In terms of money, I am at 80-85 now in the public sector with great benefits, retirement, etc but the pace is too slow here and just feel like it's a dead end. The potential at this new job is 90-120K.

We currently live in a suburb of Los Angeles and we bought a home in 1999 for a good price. Our plan is to rent it out and rent in Boston.

In town Boston is probably as expensive as LA is, but most people don't live in in-town Boston.

With your background and credentials, there are many opportunities in that area. It is a very "young" area...rarely do you see anybody but young folks
in and around the lunch areas of the city...primarily around the government center.

If you can command that kind of money and supplement it with rent from your home in LA, you should have no problems.

Go to the Boston board on this forum and ask some of those folks questions....Boston people can be a little hard to get close to at first, but they won't steer you wrong.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:02 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,701,631 times
Quote:

I would expect you have performed the nuts and bolts research already: housing price differentials (which isn't too much between LA and BOS), school test scores, climate, traffic, future employment opportunities, crime maps, demographics, land use and planning, tax implications, etc.

What is your time frame? Do you have time?

What about your folks (Your kid's grandparents)?

What happens if you don't like the weather? It won't affect you nearly as much as it will your wife as she has to take the kid(s) to the park, sports, etc and find activities for them six months in winter when it is too cold for them to go outside unlike LA.

I did what you did, bought in Thousand Oaks in 1997 (low), sold in 2006 (peak). Lucky me. However I moved to a lower cost area and I got a promotion. We did it.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 PM

1,753 posts, read 6,213,430 times
As I'm in the high tech sector, myself, I'd have to say NOT UNLESS THEY KICK UP THE $$. If I was you, I would seek opportunities in the Silicon Valley before I'd uproot my family to move cross country to a cold, wintery climate. But that's just me. Unless you'll be specifically assigned to a Financial Services sales team I just don't see the upside for the small bump in salary. It would be a no-brainer NO! unless they were offering me relocation $$, relocation services and a guaranteed sale amount on my current home. No deal, but that's just me.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:52 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,800,305 times
I don't know why you've picked Boston but the current political and economic climate is not going to get better anytime soon. If you will have a better cost of living and/or quality of life in Boston, go for it. I think it's a great idea to not cut all ties with L.A. by renting out your house here so that if something goes wrong, you can always come back. If you don't really have a concrete reason for Boston itself and you are not married to Boston, try Pick Your Spot.com to find a locale that will be great for you, but I would not recommend anyone stay in L.A. I'm on the count down: 12 months and I'm free, unless I win the lottery and then I'm outta here.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,002 times
Quote:
Here's the scoop:

Deal or no deal?

Thanks.
From the information you have provided, I would suggest you go for it. You only live once, the kids are young and not attached... go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or