Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 04:34 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

For the last few months, I have noticed some changes in the petco stores that signal to me, they are in trouble.
I notice some brands of dog food are out of stock, and it is not because they are selling more of these brands, but their suppliers are not getting paid, so they are not restocking some brands.

Two weeks ago I was in the Pasadena store, and all I could see were four shopping carts, when normally there are dozens.
Matter of fact a customer followed me out to my car so he could have my cart when I was through with it.
Today, I was at the same store, and no carts at all.
This tells me their supplier took them back because petco is not paying for them.
These problems tell me petco is in trouble, and may well go out of business.

I heard a rumor a year ago that petsmart wanted to buy petco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 09:14 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
One of the big issues with big box pet stores during the pandemic is their grooming services were not essential for many months, which really hurt. Amazon and Chewy gained big market share w/ food and toy deliveries. That petco is also in a tough little shopping center w/ bevmo ... tough parking and hard to get in/out of.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
One of the big issues with big box pet stores during the pandemic is their grooming services were not essential for many months, which really hurt. Amazon and Chewy gained big market share w/ food and toy deliveries. That petco is also in a tough little shopping center w/ bevmo ... tough parking and hard to get in/out of.
I noticed the same brand shortages this past weekend in the Glendale petco.
Something is in the works, and I doubt it is good.
Meanwhile, petsmart has raised the prices recently on many brands of dog food.
Just as a source of information, the online company Chewy, is owned by petsmart.

Old 03-23-2021, 10:51 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Not sure why this is relevant specifically to California, but I'd have to concur. I've been shopping almost exclusively at PetSmart lately, but walked into a Petco today because it shared a shopping plaza with the Whole Foods I went to (this was in Illinois, West Chicago suburb of Elmhurst). It was dire. The store looked cramped, poorly organized and stocked, badly lit and overall just in shambles. I've never seen a PetSmart in that kind of condition.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:26 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
Nope. Petco had an IPO a couple of months ago and the stock has done very well. Their results the past year were their best ever in history

Old 03-24-2021, 02:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
You can order everything from Amzn or go to the brand itself, and order direct from their own website.

But eventually porch pirating will become more and more of a problem, and or fuel and vehicle maintenance will become more expensive. Seller and buyer will then be forced into a brick and mortar concept completing the cycle. And then they will begin to specialize and separate into stores like BBB, Petco, Radioshacks all over again.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:50 PM

Many times in business, especially big businesses, with many execs, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
Expenditures are made without all parties being informed.
This could be the case concerning the stadium in San Diego, especially when city government is involved.

I still believe I am seeing broad signs, the company is in trouble.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:54 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Nope. Petco had an IPO a couple of months ago and the stock has done very well. Their results the past year were their best ever in history
Yup, they also just renewed their naming rights with the baseball stadium in San Diego. It will be Petco Park until 2027, why would they squander these funds if they were financially in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
You can order everything from Amzn or go to the brand itself, and order direct from their own website.
They also run kennels, pet clinics/hospitals and pet grooming all of which cannot be done by Amazon.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Yup, they also just renewed their naming rights with the baseball stadium in San Diego. It will be Petco Park until 2027, why would they squander these funds if they were financially in trouble.

They also run kennels, pet clinics/hospitals and pet grooming all of which cannot be done by Amazon.
The kennels, pet clinics/hospitals, and grooming are more individual skill dependent. The employees doing that portion of the business may as well strike out on their own, especially medical, and grooming side.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:26 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Short squeeze time!

Apes like Petco! Hold the line! To the moon!

https://www.marketwatch.com/investin...od=over_search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles