U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM

19 posts, read 98,460 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm likely getting a job offer in Norwalk and I'm not that familiar with the different areas around it. I am hoping to find an area of LA (or OC?) that is not more than a 45 minute commute. Also, I prefer places that are urban or like a village, where there is a lot of art, live music (not country), movie theatres (including indie flicks), liberal residents, diversity - but also safe and not depressing in terms of the way it looks and the overall vibe. I'm used to east coast cities as I've lived in NYC, Boston and DC. I would prefer to move to SF (I'm in Sacramento now) but work will likely bring me down to south LA. It seems that there are no true urban areas in LA except downtown which is unappealing all in all. What parts of LA or OC (that aren't too far from Norwalk) have a village feel to them? (ie, perhaps like berkeley or santa cruz or davis). Im afraid to live in OC b/c I hear it's republican country and full of yahoos and religious fundamentalists. I would like Santa Monica or Venice but I figure it's way too long of a commute during regular rush hours. I visited Long Beach when I interviewed and was hoping it would be like Sacramento but better and on the water but instead it seemed very dangerous inland at night and boring and ugly near the coast - just looked like any other dull suburb of LA to me. I heard Newport Beach is pretty but very lame in terms of people being overly image-conscious and it is full of conservatives. NOt sure about Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Hungtington Beach or any areas east of Norwalk. Would downtown be alright and, if so, where exactly? I was in Chinatown a few years back and it seemed very sketchy in terms of crime and poverty but others have written that it's changing and up and coming - but I heard that Long Beach is up and coming too but when I visited it seemed dull and was a let down - diverse yes, but doesnt feel like a city or village in and of itself to me. I visited Irvine too but it seemed pretty yuppyish to me - maybe i was wrong? any parts of OC that are liberal-friendly and have a nice sense of community? Thanks a lot for any info.

Last edited by radioheadCA; 05-09-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: forgot some things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,734,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheadCA View Post
an area of LA (or OC?) that is not more than a 45 minute commute.

[an area with music](not country), not depressing

It seems that there are no true urban areas in LA except downtown which is unappealing all in all.

Im afraid to live in OC b/c I hear it's republican country and full of yahoos and religious fundamentalists.

I would like Santa Monica or Venice but I figure it's way too long of a commute during regular rush hours.

I visited Long Beach ...seemed very dangerous inland at night and boring and ugly near the coast - just looked like any other dull suburb of LA to me.

I heard Newport Beach is pretty but very lame in terms of people being overly image-conscious and it is full of conservatives.

I was in Chinatown a few years back and it seemed very sketchy in terms of crime and poverty

Long Beach ... seemed dull and was a let down - diverse yes, but doesnt feel like a city or village in and of itself to me.

Irvine ... seemed pretty yuppyish to me .
Well we know what you don't like.

I looked at a map and based on what you wrote I'd look at Seal Beach, Long Beach, Belmont Shores, Huntington Beach, they just look like they meet your 40 minute commute requirement. I know there are really nice parts of these towns. You are correct, commuting from Santa Monica and the beach cities south of it would be nasty. Newport Beach looks like it would be too far. There are others on this forum who are a lot more knowledgeable than I on that part of SoCal.

One thing you might do is check out Sigalert.com - Personalized Traffic Reports during the times you expect to commute.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,546,119 times
try LBC, but stay closer to the coast. downtown is nice, and it is more pedestrian than most other places. it sometimes reminds me of frisco with all the lil shops and cafes around the corners.

but you have to find the right area. some of it can feel too sub-urban and other parts feel TOO urban. in LB your commute wont be long.

but to be quite honest norwalk and the surrounding areas have a more of a sub-urban feel. they are far from DT and mostly planned as tract communities from the 50's onward.

that santa cruz vibe or berkely vibe is more common in Pasadena, LB, Santa Monica and most beach communitie$$$$.

good luck. i would seriously consider the LBC tho...just find the right place

Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 PM

19 posts, read 98,460 times
hey thanks a lot Charles and The One. I probly seemed like a picky hippy from hell. I think I'll need to take a closer look at the areas near the coast in LBC. I probably checked it out too quickly after my job interview.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:16 AM

42,281 posts, read 41,721,298 times
Default Pine ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioheadCA View Post
hey thanks a lot Charles and The One. I probly seemed like a picky hippy from hell. I think I'll need to take a closer look at the areas near the coast in LBC. I probably checked it out too quickly after my job interview.
You should check out downtown areas of LB. Pine ave, shoreline, belmont area has 2nd street. These areas are kind of "trendy" for lack of a better word. I guess you don't like conservatives. What is it about them you don't like. Is it their work ethic,they values, and their self reliance, limited goverment??

Old 05-10-2008, 11:33 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,677,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You should check out downtown areas of LB. Pine ave, shoreline, belmont area has 2nd street. These areas are kind of "trendy" for lack of a better word. I guess you don't like conservatives. What is it about them you don't like. Is it their work ethic,they values, and their self reliance, limited goverment??
And anyone who thinks OC is republican country and full of yahoos and religious fundamentalists is working off a 30+ year out-of-date stereotype that probably wasn't even all that true back then. Of course OC was a much nicer place 30 years ago but we can't discuss such things in this forum.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:23 PM

81 posts, read 311,773 times
Places like Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach, etc. are not what they use to be. They have a spill over from Torrance and other places....mainly gangs. Last time I went to the beach, it was down by Newport Beach, and I honestly would say that 80% of the people there that day were Black and Latin gangbangers. Not many of areas of Los Angeles are scum-free these days. Just be warned....

Old 05-10-2008, 03:47 PM

80% gangbangers at the beach!!!! wow the paranoia and speculation astounds me!

the best hing you can do RH is check out these areas and walk about town. all day. sit on a side walk by your prospective home, watch the people go by, check for cops, old ladies, thugs, kids, see what kind of people live around. check the stores. (24 hr bail bonds are usually a redflag). check the area and see if it fits.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:15 PM

81 posts, read 311,773 times
Go to the beach some time and tell me what you see. Same way with shopping malls...even the Beverly Center now at high noon looks like the inside of a maximum security prison. The whole city is going to be a ghetto....

Old 05-11-2008, 05:37 PM

AJAJAJA. the beverly center looks like a max security? you obviously never been... you are
huhhhh-
larry-
uSSSSSSS!!!!!!

thanks for the laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles