Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 07:51 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times

Advertisements

I visited Hollywood many times in the past 10 years to see the ongoing construction projects from all the Netflix buildings, new hotels, new luxury apartment complexes along vine st, Selma, South of sunset, around Santa Monica Blvd.
In the past homeless were evenly spread out, throughout Hollywood. But with all the new construction, you see fewer homeless spread out and more concentrated sections esp near freeways and underpass. They were there before but grew while other sections shrank.
Same with Downtown. 10 years ago, big areas like around library park, angels flight, Pershing Square, city hall lawn, across union station,but today, many are concentrated around 101 and 110, freeway, skid row.
I think the new developments have helped clean up areas but that pushes homeless from one area to another. So there is no telling what area will be next.
There is a rite aid in my area and the side street off main road will have no homeless for 2 weeks, then overnight 5 rvs and vans parked there , many tents, mattresses, bikes, trash in 1 day.
It can grow out of nowhere and takes forever to get moved and cleaned.
Dont know if there are many short term solutions.
I know the city is building shelters and permanent homes and creating affordable housing incentives.
It seems to me , it is helping people who need it before homeless situations get dire. Like lets say you get evicted but still have a job. Or you lost job and place but are looking and didn't turn to drugs or alcohol. I read somewhere where college students live in their cars,, shower in college gyms,, study during the day.. I think of the 70,000 homeless in the county, the majority can be helped easily out of homeless situations. Im often at public main library downtown and many homeless there reading books, shaving beard in bathroom, washing themselves with clothes. These are the types we often dont associate with homeless, loud, crazy, dirty. We should help them.. Others have a tougher time. Drugs and alcohol addiction, mental instability, entitlement issues keep many on the street. It seems like the narrative is to cast away a y every homeless.
There is a lot of cynicism that the city and county aren't helping despite the money thrown at it. Maybe it is helping the right people first. The people who want the help or seek the help. I dont know how it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 05:20 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
If the city and county wanted to really help these people, they would take the money they are spending to pay developers to build apartments that the homeless could never afford, and use that money to retro fit the abandoned lausc medical center in Boyle heights to house the homeless.
That building has thousands of room with bathrooms in each.
People employed by the city and county could look after the homeless, should the city decide to go along with a retro fit.
That building has sat vacant for at least 15 years, perhaps more, and it could be put to good use, to get the homeless off the street.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:35 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Some 3+ years ago, I read of a developer who wanted to build a Manhattan-style complex in Hollywood, a couple of 50 story and a couple of 30 story condo towers. In summation, it was reported that this project would have to first pass thru several neighborhood committee's before approval and construction.

My guess? It was never built and never will be!

If I were a developer, I wouldn't even bother with Hollywood/West L.A. and head for downtown.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:39 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Some 3+ years ago, I read of a developer who wanted to build a Manhattan-style complex in Hollywood, a couple of 50 story and a couple of 30 story condo towers. In summation, it was reported that this project would have to first pass thru several neighborhood committee's before approval and construction.

My guess? It was never built and never will be!

If I were a developer, I wouldn't even bother with Hollywood/West L.A. and head for downtown.
I've noticed some companies on the westside are looking into downtown. Also there's a lot of people who prefer to live near downtown or on the east side, there's more nightlife and the houses are more affordable than on the westside of course. They're tired of commuting to the westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles