U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 PM

14,534 posts, read 16,183,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzxyz View Post
Thanks to everyone for the information. I consulted an attorney and discovered that it does effect "habitability" and can void the lease.
Ah good! I had hoped and suspected so.

I hope you will brace the landlord and tell him that he had better set the other tenant straight if he doesn't want to lose your business. And then if he says no, just move. To heck with him and his rude party-hardy tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,216,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzxyz View Post
Thanks to everyone for the information. I consulted an attorney and discovered that it does effect "habitability" and can void the lease.
Good for you.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,107,124 times
Moving may be what the landlord wants the OP to do, so he can re-rent at market rate.

I would call parking enforcement and advise there are cars parked in front of your garage. It is yours because its part of your lease.

Then call the police, get a police report, advise the owner you wil file a comlaint with the City of West Hollywood that you are being denied access to your parking spot.

Also, west hollywood is rent controlled and very pro-tenant rights.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM

2,574 posts, read 7,883,504 times
1. tell the offending neighbor that the next time one of his guests blocks your parking space, you will call a tow-truck.

2. the next time one of your neighbor's guests blocks your parking space, call a tow-truck.

this is easy. i would be more upset by the noise.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:07 PM

422 posts, read 1,653,711 times
There is a legal concept called "right of peaceful enjoyment" that applies to all rented habitations. It sounds like your right of peaceful enjoyment is being infringed bigtime, both by your neighbor and your landlord.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM

81 posts, read 311,958 times
It amazes me how ignorant and rude people can be. The landlord here is just an idiot.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:06 PM

greggd -

Just wanted to let you know, the problem with it is that the parking garages are on private property. Parking Enforcement, not even WeHo Sheriff Department, will do anything because the property is private. Believe me, I already tried that one.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:29 PM

31 posts, read 123,136 times
OP, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Sorry, I don't have much advice -- but one thing about your post did strike me. You mentioned that you thought the tenant in question was high most of the time. Is it possible that perhaps your landlord is showing favoritism because they might have some sort of, um, "arrangement"? I had a friend whose neighbor lived rent-free in exchange for supplying their landlord. Something to think about, if you have to go down a legal path with this. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM

830 posts, read 2,621,347 times
Just think logically about it. If you are blocked in, you can't get anywhere for an emergency. How would that not violate your rights?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherette View Post
OP, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Sorry, I don't have much advice -- but one thing about your post did strike me. You mentioned that you thought the tenant in question was high most of the time. Is it possible that perhaps your landlord is showing favoritism because they might have some sort of, um, "arrangement"? I had a friend whose neighbor lived rent-free in exchange for supplying their landlord. Something to think about, if you have to go down a legal path with this. Good luck!
Thanks heatherette - Believe me, I already suspect as much. The whole bldg. really acts like they either use the stuff, sell it or both. However, those are strong accusations to make unless you know for sure, and I would say I am about 90% certain in this case he and the landlord have an "arrangement".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or