U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,670,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever View Post
well, it sure is confusing!!

I thought Anaheim was just a part of L.A. city!

Its reeeeally weird how the cities are so close to eachother.. its nothing like that here in Norway.. I still don't get it, though.. When I look at a map of Cali, i see San Francisco way up north.. then Sacramento.. Santa Barbara.. and finally Los Angeles. And its huge.. All that i thought was Los Angeles is just alot of small-sized cities together + the city of Los Angeles, isnt it?

will someone please hand me a map of L.A. and the surrounding cities!?!?
Go to Google maps and find LA. It'll say "Los Angeles" by the intersection of Interstate 5 and Interstate 10. That's downtown City of Los Angeles. See all the other names on the map? Most of those are incorporated cities and not part of City of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
Quote:

What is really good for visualizing this is a Thomas Guide. The individual cities are colorized.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:34 PM

15,085 posts, read 18,049,276 times
See below. The red area is the City of Los Angeles. The gray areas are surrounding cities. All of them are are in Los Angeles County which is the outlined area. The white areas are unincorporated areas in the County of Los Angeles, i.e. areas of the county that have not incorporated into a city and are therefore subject to county jurisdiction.

If you look closely, some gray areas are completely surrounded, or mostly surrounded, by the the City of LA. These are independent cities such as Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Burbank, Glendale, City of San Fernando (not to be confused with San Fernando Valley), and Culver City.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,450,423 times
The dark yellow is the "official" political boundaries of the city of Los Angeles. White or light yellow are other cities. This does not show Orange County which is even further south. Cities like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Glendale, etc.. may be officially separate cities, but they are still lumped in as being called Los Angeles. The political boundaries only mean something for who picks up your trash, gives you police coverage, cleans your streets, etc... Still, it is all "Greater Los Angeles."

Old 05-10-2008, 06:39 PM

3,875 posts, read 9,141,874 times
I once knew someone who got really mad just because I thought Orange County was part of L.A. The way it appears, especially around Anaheim and Buena Park, made me think that it was a suburb of L.A. being so close (20-30 minutes in good traffic).

Old 05-10-2008, 06:55 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,020,004 times
Quote:

http://ceo.lacounty.gov/forms/08%20Map%20&%20Cities.pdf

http://www.fullerton.edu/cdr/oc_map1.pdf

Old 05-10-2008, 07:00 PM

1,753 posts, read 6,214,674 times
Los Angeles is where the bad schools are. All of the other cities are where the good schools are .

Just kidding folks!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,559,096 times
Oh, it is confusing! When I first got here it used to drive me crazy. I never knew whether people were talking about the city, the county or the general area. You do need a map so you can see how big Los Angeles county is and how many cities it holds Then you'll see all the sections of Los Angeles the city. And then there are cities like Beverly Hills that are separate cities right in the middle of Los Angeles (the city) but are NOT Los Angeles the city BUT are in the Los Angeles AREA and in Los Angeles COUNTY. Trust me, this is something you have to have grown up with to understand easily. It will make your head rotate right off your shoulders...

Old 05-10-2008, 07:54 PM

15,085 posts, read 18,049,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
... I never knew whether people were talking about the city, the county or the general area. You do need a map so you can see how big Los Angeles county is and how many cities it holds Then you'll see all the sections of Los Angeles the city. And then there are cities like Beverly Hills that are separate cities right in the middle of Los Angeles (the city) but are NOT Los Angeles the city BUT are in the Los Angeles AREA and in Los Angeles COUNTY...
And a map of San Bernardino, Riverside, and Orange counties, as well. The LA Metro area is biiiiig.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:50 AM

22,693 posts, read 28,338,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I once knew someone who got really mad just because I thought Orange County was part of L.A. The way it appears, especially around Anaheim and Buena Park, made me think that it was a suburb of L.A. being so close (20-30 minutes in good traffic).
Well, Anaheim and Buena Park are kind of close to the border line of L.A. county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or