Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 12:34 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yeah. You have to remember though, that retail places like Ralphs are PRIVATELY owned and can still require those who visit to abide by their rules. Masks and social distancing rules can and probably will still be enforced at locations like this for a while despite the Governor reopening everything again.

Im sure we'll be seeing some idiots trending on video complaining about their "rights" and "Marxism" and "Communisum" and "government overreach" etc. when they are told: "Mam, masks are still required if you want to enter Trader Joes". They will freak out because of their willful ignorance.
Agreed for the most part but I do have a general question about all this.

First: I am vaxxed, willingly, and I abided by (and still do) all mask requirements. In other words, I was a good citizen these past 15 months.

A few things are starting to get annoying, though.

Yeah, I know they're private businesses. And if they just flat out said "we're continuing these restrictions forever because of our lawyers' advice" or something like that I'd probably understand. But it seems like they're happy to keep them in place and cut back on service with no clear nexus to the things that created the need to do so in the first place.

Some of the restrictions, like closing rest rooms, seems like just crappy cost cutting done under the smokescreen of safety.

Yes, I'll still comply, but I feel like it would be more honest for businesses to state clearly why they're still doing it and what their plan is, if any, for walking the restrictions back.

Because yes, as petty as it sounds, if the restaurants are all going to continue with plastic disposables, QR code menus, useless lexan panels everywhere, cleaning theater, then yeah I'll eat more at home. Yes, I'm aware how petty that sounds, but that is sort of the topic of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 12:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This sounds like an excellent business opportunity for those so inclined. Hang a giant poster at the front door: "Come on in! Masks not required. 6' distance not required! Wear what you like, sit where you like. We're here to serve YOU, and not the golden-calf of the mask false-god".
Wasn't that (without the obvious humorous exaggeration) the point of the shutdowns? So that re-opening could happen without major restrictions, if any? Hey, if a restaurant wants to clean their facility more often more power to them, god knows some joints needed it. But so much of it seems like they're doing it for appearances. Like those distancing markers on the floor, where maybe like 15% of the entire floorplan can realistically accommodate a 6-foot separation. And, frankly, nobody is enforcing except maybe while standing in a specific queue.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:19 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Wasn't that (without the obvious humorous exaggeration) the point of the shutdowns? So that re-opening could happen without major restrictions, if any? Hey, if a restaurant wants to clean their facility more often more power to them, god knows some joints needed it. But so much of it seems like they're doing it for appearances. ...
Everything is for appearances! And no, it's not just about "virtue signaling" or "wokery", though those are appearances too. Some appearances are about placating the powers-that-be, or cover-your-posterior fear of lawsuits. After all, that's why every chemicals lab or construction-site has a culture of the much-vaunted "safety first". Other appearances are to instill a sense of comfort and decorum in the clientele. Obviously such sense would be different in Los Angeles vs. small-town Texas. Any good business is going to craft its message to its specific audience. Still other appearances are for the employees themselves, perhaps to instill a sense of camaraderie, as if the company actually "cares".

This morning, most of the persons whom I saw on the sidewalk, walking alone, were still wearing masks. One fellow had his mask down to his chin. As he stepped into the roadway, to cross the street in front of lanes of parked cars, he adjusted his mask to be fully over his face. And no, this gentleman wasn't of the Rolex-and-Ferrari set... his clothing was disheveled and he was straining in carrying his knapsack.

Old 06-15-2021, 02:32 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
I went to Trader Joe's today at lunch time and everyone was still wearing a mask, employees and customers who all seemed to be under 40. I didn't wear a mask because I listened to the news which said no masks as of today except in some work places, nursing homes, hospitals.

As I was checking out I asked the cashier, "Doesn't anyone listen to the news? Starting today no masks indoors." He said, "I am required to still wear one as an employee, which makes no sense. I have no idea why customers are still wearing them though."

Old 06-17-2021, 11:45 AM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times
I went to McDonald's in Rosemead yesterday and the dining area was totally open. Even the kids play area was open. Google and their own website said otherwise. Hardly any customers were there.

I wonder if some places are reopening but they don't want to emphasize it too much?

Old 06-17-2021, 08:09 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Went to Ralph's today and didn't wear a mask. A few other people were maskless but employees and most customers wore masks.

This video in NYC might give you some insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aME680M1dwg&t=1s

Old 07-02-2021, 06:08 PM

368 posts, read 366,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Sound science there. COVID isn't a threat as long as you're eating and drinking. Second you stop it becomes a threat again so mask up.
Covid stops it's onslaught to allow you to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles