U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,062,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So basically what most people are trying to say is that if your Black you shouldn't move into East LA or any Hispanic majority neighborhood.
Gangs have enforced some black-brown segregation in some areas in Los Angeles and in Southern California. Then there's some areas where blacks and browns who coexist with no problems.

I myself would be a little uncomfortable venturing in East LA. My dad tried to get me to enroll in a training school there. No way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 PM

54 posts, read 145,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Hasn't it waned in recent years though?
It has in those areas.

But I would say Long Beach is worse whens it comes to these types of situations cause you got Black, Asian, and Samoan gangs tryna get rid of the Mexican gangs there. Its pretty racial down there

Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 AM

140 posts, read 262,568 times
I posted on this thread three years ago. Is this still going on? I live in the bay area now. Totally different culture. Much more diverse, and no one group dominates any area. Oakland is a nice mix of white, Black, Asian and Latino. We even have an Asian Mayor in Oakland.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:00 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LArenter View Post
From following the news and the LA Times Homicide Blog, I would estimate that 40% of the victims are innocent civilians that are targeted by gangs for merely the color of their skin. It is sad and disgusting. I would also say that the majority of the incidents do appear isolated in certain areas.
. I have to agree. I come from one of the most dangerous cities in the US but it still boggles my mind about this hispanic vs. Black war. I was planning on moving to LA but sTopped short when I heard about Mexican gangs targeting innocent blacks in LA. I get upset when I hear other blacks who were born and raised in LA say things like, "Well if you mind your business or don't dress like your in a gang, nothing will happen to you", when the majority of homicide victims are those with NO gang or drug ties whatsoover. Also, don't most hispanics have African lineage? SMH....I also heard of affluent blacks also being attacked in upscale neighborhoods (beverly hills, west hollywood,etc) I'm nervous :/

Old 11-28-2011, 03:18 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
Immediately cancels reservations and throws away plane tickets....j/k
LMAO (*stops laughing and request refund for plane ticket on orbitz.com*)

Old 12-02-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer View Post
I posted on this thread three years ago. Is this still going on? I live in the bay area now. Totally different culture. Much more diverse, and no one group dominates any area. Oakland is a nice mix of white, Black, Asian and Latino. We even have an Asian Mayor in Oakland.
I haven't heard any recent news about black and Latino tension in LA.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 PM

4,719 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The LA job market will not be the best for AfrAmers who are unskilled and/or without higher education levels. Many jobs are requiring bilingual(read as Spanish/English) solely as a means to exclude "others" from the positions.
Are there sources which describe use of "bilingual" requirements where such traits are not needed as methods of discrimination? As anybody filed legal action?

Quote:
The "Brown-on-Black" racially targeted attacks are not isolated incidents - the order has gone out from the Mexican Mafia types in the prison system and beyond to "eliminate" Blacks from "Aztlan". Naturally, this has been downplayed in the media but it is very real. The DA in either Riverside or San Bernardino(who is Hispanic) was targeted by Latino gang affiliates because he has been making an effort in the Inland Empire to stop the attacks against Blacks. And Black males, in particular, are the targets, but not exclusively.

Unfortunately, this not only affects Blacks but Latinos are also targeting other races/cultures such as the Armenians in Glendale.
Do they have documents to prove that there is a systematic campaign?

Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Are there sources which describe use of "bilingual" requirements where such traits are not needed as methods of discrimination? As anybody filed legal action?

Do they have documents to prove that there is a systematic campaign?
Check up the job ads on the LA section on Craigslist. Most require you to be bilingual (mostly Spanish or Chinese) nowadays.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:23 AM

121 posts, read 485,199 times
So if you wear a white t-shirt you could get killed,but, not in san diego?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM

4,719 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Well, I understand many do. The question is, are there cases where bilingualism is asked for, but it doesn't fit.

On LA Craigslist I see some listings that are bilingual, like:
* Bilingual Administrative Associate (English + Chinese) (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ofc/2733090335.html - broken link)
** For English and Chinese
If the business works with Chinese cliente and requires people to input things like Chinese names, then I can see why bilingualism is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Check up the job ads on the LA section on Craigslist. Most require you to be bilingual (mostly Spanish or Chinese) nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or