U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,411,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
That is correct.
Like when you tried to discourage me from wanting to date interracially from my old topic, using the account "Sarah M". I smell a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,310 times
Default The Company You Keep

I wouldn't get upset about gang warfare and the like in Burbank. Often things sound much worse than they are when your hearing it "Out of State". Everywhere has problems and one should always be on your toes about your personal security. But there is no reason that this should pose a problem for you so long as you do not associate with social groups inclined to be involved with the wrong crowd. As long as you take reasonable and sensible precaution about what areas you frequent and when, who you associate with, and exercise sensible precaution as any rational person would in securing themselves the odds are in your favor. I see no reason you can't enjoy Burbank and all it has to offer safely and happily.
Best of luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:11 PM

140 posts, read 262,568 times
I am a black man from NY who has lived in LA for the past 4 years. I have never had any problems. I live in the San Gabriel Valley (Pasadena). Pasadena, South Pasadena, Alhambra, are all nice towns to live in. The Mexicans who live in mixed areas will not bother you. What I wouldn't suggest is moving to highly concentrated Hispanic areas such as Highland Park, Huntington Park, Hawian Gardens, Lincoln Park, ans so many other barrios. Like many of the other posters said, act normal and no one will bother you.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:50 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,116,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer View Post
I am a black man from NY who has lived in LA for the past 4 years. I have never had any problems. I live in the San Gabriel Valley (Pasadena). Pasadena, South Pasadena, Alhambra, are all nice towns to live in. The Mexicans who live in mixed areas will not bother you. What I wouldn't suggest is moving to highly concentrated Hispanic areas such as Highland Park, Huntington Park, Hawian Gardens, Lincoln Park, ans so many other barrios. Like many of the other posters said, act normal and no one will bother you.
Right on bro'. There is a black-brown problem in LA gang warfare, but most of us (me a white guy) got no problem with any race. It's refreshing to me that racism in LA has sunk primarily to minorities hating one another. Remember that gang warfare is primarily a ghetto phenomenon. We affluent people have put racism behind us. We don't care what you are or what you look like. All we care is what you do and who you are. Skin color makes no difference to us than what color car you drive. Just show us your stuff. Show us you are educated and cultured and we don't care about your cosmetic job. Talk to us.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 PM

42,278 posts, read 41,684,387 times
Default Harbor Gateway and Jameel Shaw

What is the deal with all of the brown on black violence. Several months ago a young black girl was gunned down in Harbor Gateway just for being black. Just recently Jameel Shaw a decent good kid was gunned down in front of his house by an illegal immigrant who just got out of jail. This whole thing has got to stop. The problem is that blacks are going to start targeting mexican people and the violence won't stop. It's not just a gang banger problem that alot of people want to dismiss it as. When innocent peope are getting targeted for no reason other than the color of thier skin, society has got to stop the insanity.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,116,085 times
I don't understand the black-brown brown-black violence thing. Just when you thought it was safe to go home, safe from whitey racism, now the BB/BB thing rears its ugly head.

I wish we knew. I wish it didn't happen. I wish we could stop it. I don't know.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 AM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,230,760 times
One more thing, I do not get why people say BLACK AND BROWN violence.

Why do we label each other as colors?

Last time I checked Blacks aren't black and Whites aren't white.

lol...Besides that point yeah I've been checking out surrounding areas of LA also the inner LA.

Is Culver City good?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:51 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,411,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
One more thing, I do not get why people say BLACK AND BROWN violence.

Why do we label each other as colors?

Last time I checked Blacks aren't black and Whites aren't white.

lol...Besides that point yeah I've been checking out surrounding areas of LA also the inner LA.

Is Culver City good?
I heard Culver City had some struggling parts. There's a gang called the CC Boys, a Chicano gang.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM

49 posts, read 185,109 times
The thing about Los Angeles....it all depends on where you choose to lay your hat. I'm assuming your first choice isn't to move into a warzone, like south los angeles, watts,compton..etc. So you bypass where a good amount of the tension is based.

Mexicans have populated these regions forever, but have recently taken over quickly. The tension, based in the community sense, is out of different cultural aspects and the fact that african americans are less likely to pack up and leave. Where as, Whites tended to flock out of los angeles(White Flight) at an alarming rate when they noticed 4 mexican families lived on their block.

In the street sense, it's all based out of prison and jail politics. Total control of the drug market. The most racist white and mexican dudes i've ever been around have been ones that have served time in jail. You have no choice but to be racist in jail. It's just how it is. The longer you end up there..it starts to ingrain in you..to the point you are a Racist. So all that tension ends up out on the streets eventually. Jail and the street directly correlate with each other.

I'll tell you from my personal experiences of being out on the streets. I never banged'...i was a skateboarder. But I've always been around and/or knew some crazy cholos. In the 90's, depending on where you grew up, most mexicans had no problems with blacks. In the valley for example, mexican gangs didn't even see black hoods' as a threat. But the generation of mexican kids nowadays are severely brainwashed by the jail politics and the way the media escalates and feeds the tension of Black/Brown. Which amounted to this 600+ fight

I don't want to scare you in any way. Because what im stating only applies to the mexican/central american dominated areas, which you probalbly weren't planning on moving to.
Most of los angeles is very liberal and open minded towards anyone, especially if your true color is green. In a nation obsessed with race, your bound to run into racism. In the immediate los angeles proper, you'll seldom run into any problems. Nothin shocks or offends anyone here. When you end up in the barrios or areas with minimal african americans you might get some attitudes.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:34 PM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,230,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana View Post
The thing about Los Angeles....it all depends on where you choose to lay your hat. I'm assuming your first choice isn't to move into a warzone, like south los angeles, watts,compton..etc. So you bypass where a good amount of the tension is based.

Mexicans have populated these regions forever, but have recently taken over quickly. The tension, based in the community sense, is out of different cultural aspects and the fact that african americans are less likely to pack up and leave. Where as, Whites tended to flock out of los angeles(White Flight) at an alarming rate when they noticed 4 mexican families lived on their block.

In the street sense, it's all based out of prison and jail politics. Total control of the drug market. The most racist white and mexican dudes i've ever been around have been ones that have served time in jail. You have no choice but to be racist in jail. It's just how it is. The longer you end up there..it starts to ingrain in you..to the point you are a Racist. So all that tension ends up out on the streets eventually. Jail and the street directly correlate with each other.

I'll tell you from my personal experiences of being out on the streets. I never banged'...i was a skateboarder. But I've always been around and/or knew some crazy cholos. In the 90's, depending on where you grew up, most mexicans had no problems with blacks. In the valley for example, mexican gangs didn't even see black hoods' as a threat. But the generation of mexican kids nowadays are severely brainwashed by the jail politics and the way the media escalates and feeds the tension of Black/Brown. Which amounted to this 600+ fight

I don't want to scare you in any way. Because what im stating only applies to the mexican/central american dominated areas, which you probalbly weren't planning on moving to.
Most of los angeles is very liberal and open minded towards anyone, especially if your true color is green. In a nation obsessed with race, your bound to run into racism. In the immediate los angeles proper, you'll seldom run into any problems. Nothin shocks or offends anyone here. When you end up in the barrios or areas with minimal african americans you might get some attitudes.

Yes I heard about that it was crazy.

But I understand what you're coming from.

I wanted to move to the Watts area because I have family over there as well BUT they are moving over to the Antelope Valley(Sorry If I missed spelled it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or