U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:05 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,116,085 times

Advertisements

I'm just cracking jokes. There was no factual information in my last few posts in this thread. I apologize for going off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:54 PM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
It really scares me from reading these posts. I hate to be discouraged from leaving California and moving to LA.

I mean I think LA is a great city on the West Coast, but I don't want to be discouraged.
Discouraged from what? I'm surrounded by Latinos, Mexicans, Hispanics, whatever the current trendy PC term is. I'm the only white guy for tens of blocks, and I get on just fine. What's with this boogyman complex attributed to brown neighbors?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,411,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Discouraged from what? I'm surrounded by Latinos, Mexicans, Hispanics, whatever the current trendy PC term is. I'm the only white guy for tens of blocks, and I get on just fine. What's with this boogyman complex attributed to brown neighbors?
Discouraged from leaving from California or moving to LA.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You are a guy who can get along with the rainbow, and I respect that.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,289 times
Michigan / detriot is probably one of the most segregated areas in this country! Michigan has many cities with crime rates 3 or 4 times higher than l.a .
Detriots murder and crime rate is many times higher . It is not just detroit flint and other areas in michigan are very segergated and have extremely high crime rates . IF you are black and made it out of michigan you should have no trouble in california .

Now just like any place in america watch where you go . Don't go to a neighborhood you know might be bad and act curious and mess around . It is simple be street smart .

If you are just going to visit california you should defiantly not have to worry about things if you stay in nice areas .

Now if you want to live in california

I think the real thing you should look at is can you afford to really live comfortable in california with the same wages you have in michigan . Can you afford the 3 times higher cost of living in california .

If you are comfortably living in a middle class or upper class neighborhood in michigan . More than likely you will end up paying twice the amount for a house half the size in a lower class neighborhood in california .

I think this is the real question you should ask you self . If you can not afford to live in california you will end up struggling more for a place that may actually have a lower class of people . If you have to struggle you may not be able to live as comfortably in cali than that of michigan. Sure california has higher wages . But if housing is more than triple than you will have to make triple the wages to be able to live properly the same way you are living in michigan .

The houses in l.a are about 8 times the amount of that of detroit . The rents are double . It can be a real struggle to live in such an expensive area .

Unless you can get lucky and get a much better job than you already have in california you may have to struggle to live in california .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
Ok, I know the Topic Title is kind of biased or racially motivated so for other people not of African descent please don't find it offensive.

I live over 3,000 miles away from Los Angeles in South West Boring Michigan and when I'm done attending college I was looking forward to move to Los Angeles in a diverse community.

My dad lives in Burbank, which is a fairly diverse community, but what the heck has been going on with this MEXICAN VS BLACK ''GANG WAR'' bs? I'm literately scared to go visit my dad in Burbank, he calls me and tells me he's thinking of moving out of LA to the very outer skirts.

At another forum I asked this same QUESTION and got mixed views some saying ''Oh, if you stay out of gangs you'll be ok.'' or that the ''RACE WAR, GANG WAR targets anybody'', I'm so confused but I really want to LIVE in LA without getting shot at, stabbed at, robbed point blank because of the COLOR OF MY SKIN.

Are the city officials of LA doing anything about this? I think they should have a HUGE CITY MEETING and get the attention of the Judiciary, Legislative, and Executive boards or the city is going to collapse in UTTER chaos.

Sorry for the ranting but I really want to know YOUR opinions, ideas and comments.

Please no sleek and smart comments. =] Ty.

-SWV-

Last edited by TheFineLine; 07-09-2008 at 03:19 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 PM

84 posts, read 275,763 times
LA isn't safe for anyone except the uber-rich or the desperately-poor no matter what your skin color. Just live near LA county (try Ventura, OC, or even SD) and commute to see your Dad.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 AM

5 posts, read 15,249 times
Sakana,
Of course I realize that the Spanish, Portugese, French, Romanian and Provencal and Catalan plus Sardinian languages derived from Latin of course as well as Italian which is the closest to it being it came from their land but what I am against is the fact that within the past few decades Spanish and Portugese speaking peoples of Spain and to a greater extent of the Western Hemisphere have literally taken over the use of that term and designation exclusively for themselves and also changed it into "Latinos". The Latin language and culture is a profound historical legacy from Italy for the past 2000 years and it is the Italians who are the true Latins for centuries way before Central and South America were "discovered". Also, besides Italy Latin became the literary and classical language of Western Europe and the Vatican and the Catholic church and I am against how this term is has incorrectly been made into a racial and ethnic classification for Spanish speaking peoples of the Western Hemisphere when most of them are a mixture of several races( exc. Argentina and Uruguay).

Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 AM

The simple fact is that words sometimes change their meaning over time in order to suit new situations, and the word "Latino" today now refers to many or most Spanish speaking peoples living in North, Central and South America. It may not make perfect historic sense, but there is no requirement that the language must be perfectly logical or consistent.

So get over it. Latino means today what used to be called Hispanic, Mexican, South American and all the other customary terms referring to mostly brown skinned Spanish speaking people.

Actually, I like it, the Latinos seem to like it even calling themselves Latino, and it's a useful word to refer to this group of people.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM

105 posts, read 439,682 times
Wow, look at all this armageddon prediction for L.A. Well if it makes any of ya'll feel any better just think of the millions of people in Africa whose children bathe with crocodiles. We worry about gangs targeting a color when their gangs consist of lion prides and hyena packs who are looking for a meal no matter the color. What about their blood diamond/malitious gangs where they kill anything moving. What would we have if we feared everything negative.......nobody would surf/swim our oceans if we feared sharks, nobody would trek to the top of the empire state if we feared a world trade repeat, the golden gate would not have been built if everyone feared dying at it's expense. California would not have been this international juggernaut had we feared the states first major earthquake, fire, or flood. The U.S. would not have gained it's independance if we feared defeat. My point is how do people that "make it", "make it" in L.A. They had to come from somewhere, they are not all born millionares. Half of them came to California with nothing and still do yet new millionares are springing up all the time. Had they feared L.A. the way these posters do, they would not have become the people we idolize(and loathe at the same time). You pave your own way in this world by the decisions you make. We're so quick to criticize/critique anything but never educate anyone. Ya'll act like there aren't black/mexican gang bangers reading these posts too. So let's just add more fuel to their fire why don't we.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,212 times
that's messed up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or