Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 PM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,337,222 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know the Topic Title is kind of biased or racially motivated so for other people not of African descent please don't find it offensive.

I live over 3,000 miles away from Los Angeles in South West Boring Michigan and when I'm done attending college I was looking forward to move to Los Angeles in a diverse community.

My dad lives in Burbank, which is a fairly diverse community, but what the heck has been going on with this MEXICAN VS BLACK ''GANG WAR'' bs? I'm literately scared to go visit my dad in Burbank, he calls me and tells me he's thinking of moving out of LA to the very outer skirts.

At another forum I asked this same QUESTION and got mixed views some saying ''Oh, if you stay out of gangs you'll be ok.'' or that the ''RACE WAR, GANG WAR targets anybody'', I'm so confused but I really want to LIVE in LA without getting shot at, stabbed at, robbed point blank because of the COLOR OF MY SKIN.

Are the city officials of LA doing anything about this? I think they should have a HUGE CITY MEETING and get the attention of the Judiciary, Legislative, and Executive boards or the city is going to collapse in UTTER chaos.

Sorry for the ranting but I really want to know YOUR opinions, ideas and comments.

Please no sleek and smart comments. =] Ty.

-SWV-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Interesting question, and I certainly don't have an answer.

But I was real surprised to hear of that 600+ fight at a High School between the two ethnicities the other day. Unbelievable.

I'm equally interested in hearing people's comments on this post and the discussion of it as well.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 AM

105 posts, read 482,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting question, and I certainly don't have an answer.

But I was real surprised to hear of that 600+ fight at a High School between the two ethnicities the other day. Unbelievable.

I'm equally interested in hearing people's comments on this post and the discussion of it as well.
Wow! Which HS was this? Do you have a link to this story? That's just insane.

Locke High School in South Los Angeles locked down after huge brawl - Los Angeles Times I was so curious I found the story myself. That is ridiculous, I've never heard of this happening at a school. It's sad really. Can't we all just get along?

Last edited by ChocolateTae; 05-12-2008 at 01:25 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Not in L.A. Latinos take great pleasure in the fact that they are displacing Blacks and treat us very badly because there are more of them than us. As far as being safe, most of the people who are being killed in "race wars" are gang bangers and kids. You will be perfectly safe if you conduct your life like a regular citizen. And try to stay in the Crenshaw district or Westside.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,337,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Not in L.A. Latinos take great pleasure in the fact that they are displacing Blacks and treat us very badly because there are more of them than us. As far as being safe, most of the people who are being killed in "race wars" are gang bangers and kids. You will be perfectly safe if you conduct your life like a regular citizen. And try to stay in the Crenshaw district or Westside.
What about the all star football kid that got sdhot for no reason or the six year old that got shot for no reason? Same for the Latinos why are they getting shot at.. all Blacks and Latinos/Hispanics are NOT gangbangers.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM

137 posts, read 602,720 times
From following the news and the LA Times Homicide Blog, I would estimate that 40% of the victims are innocent civilians that are targeted by gangs for merely the color of their skin. It is sad and disgusting. I would also say that the majority of the incidents do appear isolated in certain areas.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
If you live in an area that has high gang activity and you look and dress like they do then you are probably asking to get shot at or assumed to be a gang banger by other idiot gang bangers and the police as well.

A lot of times people have the weak excuse about being mistaken for a gang member because they are wearing "what is in style" or "whats fashionable" and they say "I cant help it if the gangs like to wear the same thing I like". Bottom line is, if it is considered clothing of choice by gang bangers (i.e., Dickies, cut off Dickies, knee high white socks, white t-shirt, backwards or sideways cap, skullcap, braids, etc) it should be a no brainer to not wear these things.

Same goes for how you "fix up" your car. Its safe to say that they guy driving in a metallic lime green 1966 Caprice with hydrolics and spinner rims at night with the bass you can hear a mile away with loud profanity laced music blareing with windows down and its 45 degrees outside is not going to his job as an Investment Banker at the securities and exchange commission.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:49 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
40% of cases are not race based! even the homi blog says that. maybe 5%. most crime and homicide in Los Angeles is Brown on Brown or Black on Black. rarely does it cross color lines, when it does it is gang related or because of some dum stuff and thats when it makes the news.

the locke issue apparently was related to a couple of taggin crews, which apparently locke has too many of. one crew was black the other crew was brown. they got into it and then a whole bunch of people got into it.

most students that the media spoke to have said that there is no racial tension. and i beleive it. the tension usually comes from these gangs and these crews.
its the jail mentality that pervades some streets and then infiltrates schools.

this is not new tho. its happend for a long time. in different areas. usually its resolved rather quickly. we'll see today.

but life for a normal citizen is fine. there are few black people (that aint spanish) around my house and i know one of them and they have had no problems. the ladys kid is always playin with our neighbors.

it is the areas that have a high concentration of gangs that foster this thug/prison mentality of superiority over one group. this is not the case in burbank, you will be fine.

but the reality is that in a lot of LA you have a greater chance of being a vic if

you live, work or play in the hood
are balck or brown
are a male
and in your 20's down.

of course anyone can get it anywhere.

LA is no different than any other place.

the race issue is too entangled with the thug issue.

just dont look like a thug and you will be fine for the most part.

and honestly you gotta watch out for them cops as much as you gotta watch out for the thugs.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
This is a really interesting question.

LA is in the midst of a very radical population shift. In my opinion, LA is not the place for Blacks to be unless you are very well-to-do and well educated.

The LA job market will not be the best for AfrAmers who are unskilled and/or without higher education levels. Many jobs are requiring bilingual(read as Spanish/English) solely as a means to exclude "others" from the positions.

The "Brown-on-Black" racially targeted attacks are not isolated incidents - the order has gone out from the Mexican Mafia types in the prison system and beyond to "eliminate" Blacks from "Aztlan". Naturally, this has been downplayed in the media but it is very real. The DA in either Riverside or San Bernardino(who is Hispanic) was targeted by Latino gang affiliates because he has been making an effort in the Inland Empire to stop the attacks against Blacks. And Black males, in particular, are the targets, but not exclusively.

Unfortunately, this not only affects Blacks but Latinos are also targeting other races/cultures such as the Armenians in Glendale.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
It's no problem at all around where I live in the San Fernando Valley, nor most of average or affluent parts of Los Angeles. I even have bi-racial couple friends. Nobody even looks twice at black, bi-racial or any other kind of couples. Rainbow is the new black or white or brown or any other color.

However--big however--there is a lot of bi-racial violence in the slummy or poor areas of the city, almost predominantly black-on-brown or brown-on-black, and quite typically gang related, although it's not unusual for non-gang innocent people to be accidentally or carelessly targeted, or even intentionally, and I mean quite literally targeted in terms of being shot and killed.

Do not move anywhere near a gang infested or ghetto area. That's all the advice I have to offer. Don't move near there and you should be okay.

It's funny that most racial prejudice in Los Angeles has nothing at all to do with whites. It's almost exclusively black-brown or brown-black. I mean funny peculiar, not funny haha. Will people ever learn?

(Note that LH is a white man, just to tell you where I'm coming from.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles