Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:42 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,705 times

Advertisements

Whenever I talk about LA to people who once lived in LA, I get the same opinion that LA is getting trashed. I honestly think so too being an ex-LA resident... born and raised... but now living in San Diego. That place has changed so much. Of course for the better in some ways, and it is still a fun place, but it seems more and more polluted, very brown, lots more dangerous neighborhoods and more graffiti. What do you guys think? Is this just my biased opinion after living in clean San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
......more polluted, very brown, lots more dangerous neighborhoods and more graffiti...my biased opinion after living in clean San Diego?
Are you comparing apples to apples? That is, nice clean areas in both cities; Dirty, unkempt areas in both cities?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
I think your assessment is veru accurate. I'm counting the days until I leave LA. For those who say what's keeping you? The same thing that keeps most people from moving quickly: you have to pay your current bills while saving money to move. As expensive as LA is that's a very daunting task. And like any cross country move, one needs a nest egg of at least $5,000.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
LA is not getting trashed. Of course areas are changing due to the great desire of many people from other parts of the country and world moving here. But I think that is what makes LA great.

Most noticible changes are occuring in the following areas:

Burbank - Most of Burbank east (downtown and media center area) is becoming more like Glendale. There are lots of Hispanics and Armenians moving into this area. You dont see too many of the older moustached cop like former plain white gentlemen that were so common in the late 80s and 90s. I think the diversity, affordability and shopping is what makes Burbank so great.

Sherman Oaks - Im not sure why but the past 10 years S.O. has become a very popular destination for those who want to move to LA from other parts of the country. Works great for me since I have a list of people waiting to lease my S.O. condo if/when it becomes available. Still, the majority of people moving here are Persian, Russian and Jewish (from Israel). The young actor/actress wannabes like to hang out here but they all tend to live in NoHo or Van Nuys due to the affordability.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
LA is not getting trashed. its always been this smoggy. some days are better than others. when i moved back, i had to readjust to the smog, the grey dreariness of it all. but its ok, the rain is here today. that will take care of some trash.

i actually think LA is getting better. in my area when the housing boom came a lot of people fixed up the older charming homes. even all the new SCHOOLS being built have prompted people to make their own house look nicer. justa quick paint job and voila. i owuld say my piece of LA is gettin better. but im sure some parts some where are getting worse.

i would think that people that leave due to disliking LA, will dislike it more once they are gone. the comparison would be non stop, but someone who leaves LA out of necesity, will probably miss it dearly. i know i did. this is not the rule of course, but it does not suprise me that people bash LA... coming and going.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM

I was born in LA and will raise my kids in LA and probably die here too. That is, unless I hit that $200Million mega lotto whereas I'll probably end up on Bora Bora. But even with that $200 mil I'll still have a Los Angeles address.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:59 PM

485 posts, read 1,704,193 times
Yes, I definitely think so. I have seen changes in just 3 years in the Valley. Recently I have started seeing gang grafitti in places I never thought I would- Woodland Hills and Malibu. Except for in a few places, I think L.A. is very dirty and gritty.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:33 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I think your assessment is veru accurate. I'm counting the days until I leave LA. For those who say what's keeping you? The same thing that keeps most people from moving quickly: you have to pay your current bills while saving money to move. As expensive as LA is that's a very daunting task. And like any cross country move, one needs a nest egg of at least $5,000.
I live in San Diego right now as well. Not by choice necessarily, but because Im going to lawschool here. Im very eager to move back to LA soon though.
And as much as I hear aboug people leaving because they cant afford it, that kind of excites me to move back. not intending to be rude btw.
But, the way I see it, people that cant make it in LA are generally starting to move out. Understandable. But as those people move out, its the people that can make it that are moving in, such as I. And these people are usually the professionals, the big money seekers, the entrepenours. People that'll be investing millions of dollars into the economy. Look at the changes downtown is making.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
L.A is Huge and has over 18 Million People living in the region,so eventually their will be problems,but in my opinion L.A is improving and it's much better compared to the past.

L.A is also very important Nationally and Globally,so these 2 factors will also help keep L.A from truly going downhill...The same goes for the whole state of California.

Many people have a variety of reasons of why they left L.A or California,but from reading through these forums i've noticed that many Over-Exaggerate or Generalize to the point where those who have never been to L.A or California would think we live in a Third World War Zone,which is far from Reality.

L.A(California) has the Good and the Bad Points,but most of it in my opinion is Good

Old 05-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
But, the way I see it, people that cant make it in LA are generally starting to move out. Understandable. But as those people move out, its the people that can make it that are moving in, such as I. And these people are usually the professionals, the big money seekers, the entrepenours. People that'll be investing millions of dollars into the economy. Look at the changes downtown is making.
You are totally right on this. I think that is why you hear about so many people who "lived in LA" but moved out who bad mouth us. These are the folks that couldnt cut it living here so they moved back to wherever they were from and now they are upset.

I always get a chuckle out of the posts here that say "Im moving to Los Angeles but can only afford about $500 per month rent, and I want to live in West Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica or Studio City". Its these types of people who end up hating it here really because they'r dreams didnt come to fruition now they moved back "home" and are bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles