Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2133 View Post
Is there any easy way to figure out at what prices homes are actually selling as opposed to their list price?
Yes, this site www.city-data.com. Enter a zip code to get started then scroll down and enter an address and click on recent sales. Very useful, you can pull most recent or most close by.

Also try trulia and zillow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
10 worst real-estate markets for 2009 - Los Angeles (1) - FORTUNE

Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That would be the 10 worst for the Seller.

Since the declaration last week that the Feds are going to do a near zero interest rate, some properties in L.A. county that I've been keeping watch on have actually raised their home prices.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I've probably mentioned this before but ... is anybody actually getting or going to get these low prices? I'm wondering if you guys are seeing in LA what I'm seeing on the central coast.

Sure, prices are dropping but there's also multiple bidding wars so good luck actually getting any of these properties. At least the decent ones. Lower prices also breed more bidding wars making it more difficult to actually get anything.

Unless you have a ton of cash (which is what the banks want) to make a cash offer ... it's very difficult.
That is so true! When I find out there are multiple offers on a property (and the Realtor is willing to put me on a waiting list) I just walk away.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2133 View Post
Is there any easy way to figure out at what prices homes are actually selling as opposed to their list price?
You can also check your local Sunday Paper too. I find that to be more accurate than Zillow or Trulia since it's within two weeks time of data.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
there were a lot of socal cities on that list, eek!!! good for me though. a 25% drop in prices would really open up a lot doors for the wife and i.

anyways, did anyone else notice that the picture for sacramento is actually century city here in LA, oops!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:20 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
You can also check your local Sunday Paper too. I find that to be more accurate than Zillow or Trulia since it's within two weeks time of data.
I've notices the real estate properties advertised in the LA Times seem to be the problem listings. A real estate agent has access to the area sale prices.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,149 times
A few things about housing prices/the housing market:

- Don't necessarily trust Realtors to give you accurate portrayals of comp prices in your neighborhood, and especially don't trust them to give you investment advice or any kind of macroeconomic prediction on the market. They can be very selective with what properties/sales/data they give you. They are sales people who are interested in creating transactions, that is how they make a living. Do not forget that.

- Look at key metrics in your neighborhood such as price to own vs. price to rent and median house price to median income. IMO the house prices in LA county are 15-30% overvalued but that can depend on zip code.

- If you're curious, do a Google search on the last real estate recession to hit the LA area. Good neighborhoods fell just as much as bad neighborhoods, but they significantly lagged the market. If this pattern continues in this recession, which would be consistent with past recessions, this means good neighborhoods will bottom after bad neighborhoods.

- The market has not bottomed until there is a confirmed uptick over a significant sample of home SALES (not asking prices). Just because people are trying to fetch more money for their house due to lower interest rates or one home sold more than the last one doesn't mean much. Just because inventory drops for a month doesn't mean the housing market has bottomed. A bottom means prices have already gone up. Historically real estate recessions do not follow a V shape like the stock market, they generally stay pretty flat for a while after they bottom, which means you aren't really leaving much money on the table by waiting.

- My opinion is all of you need to consider the risk:reward of purchasing a home right now. If the best case scenario is that housing prices don't decline much/at all more and the worst case scenario is they drop another 30-35%, does it really make sense to purchase a home? Your "upside" is virtually nil and your "downside" is you lose all your equity and basically have to foreclose to get out of a terrible investment decision. Housing markets, historically, do not recover quickly at all after they bottom. Equity markets will recover 15-20% in a matter of days after a bottom; housing prices not so much.

This housing market has not shown a bottom in LA in even the worst zip codes, which means the better zip codes are no where close to hitting bottom. There is a possibility this recession behaves differently than every other recession before it, but I don't know about you, I am not going to gamble tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a trend not following history, especially when you consider unemployment will continue to increase and there are no signs of a general economic recovery anytime in the near term.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
when you feed a bear (bad behavior) he will come back.
the houses prices will fall again.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM

219 posts, read 608,879 times
Quote:
Yes, this site www.city-data.com. Enter a zip code to get started then scroll down and enter an address and click on recent sales. Very useful, you can pull most recent or most close by.

Also try trulia and zillow.
Thanks.

I was looking at zillow and it occurred to me that the crisis is kind of self-perpetuating... as housing prices fall, more and more (potential) buyers will find themselves underwater on their current mortgage and thus unable to leave their current home and move to a new one. With a dearth of buyers, housing prices fall further, meaning more potential buyers are underwater in the homes they're in. Do I have that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles