U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 16,973 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I currently rent in Marina del Rey but am looking to buy and found a community on the corner of Belford Avenue and Airport (close to Manchester) that is affordable to buy and is brand new. They haven't sold worth a darn and have been on the market for a while. It has a security gate and garages but is this a dangerous area? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 PM

1,753 posts, read 6,219,353 times
Wow, brings back memories. I met my wife when we both lived at the Belford apartments off of Manchester and Airport 24-yrs ago. I think it's still a reasonable area with good access to the 405 and the west side. It's a pretty heavily traveled area but should be reasonably safe. Westchester is a very nice community, but nicer the further west you go. There will be a lot of diversity in the area with families and individuals looking to take a step up into a better area. If you do end up there, become a regular at The Buggywhip at La Tijera and the 405. Good old fashioned, wiseguy, steakhouse with 100-yr old waitresses. "When the moon hits your eyes like a big pizza pie . . . "

Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 AM

76 posts, read 323,366 times
I pass by the area every day the townhomes look nice,but they are across the street from a lot of apartments.Overall,I think the street/area is safe just very crowded.It never seems like their is any street parking.It you don't mind that I think you should be fine

Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,415,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieC View Post
I pass by the area every day the townhomes look nice,but they are across the street from a lot of apartments.Overall,I think the street/area is safe just very crowded.It never seems like their is any street parking.It you don't mind that I think you should be fine
Did you say that Westchester is becoming peaceful without the noise coming from the airport?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 16,973 times
Thanks to all you guys for your thoughts. There is considerable guest parking inside of the complex and they have garages so parking will not be an issue. My biggest concern is whether there is a lot of crime/dangerous to walk around in that area (Airport/Belford). Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 PM

81 posts, read 311,843 times
Well, I think anything around LAX isn't that grand. I believe I know where you are referring when you say Westchester. I use to live in Playa Del Rey. I thought it was just a sleepy little beach community, but it is being heavily influenced now by communities to the east that aren't so pleasant such as Inglewood to name a few. In Playa, there were a lot of gangbangers loitering in the parks, I didn't care for it. My friend bought a rather expensive condo in Playa Vista, which is a brand new area that has been developed south of Marina Del Rey. She said Playa Vista is not at all what she expected it to be and hardly worth the money.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzxyz View Post
Well, I think anything around LAX isn't that grand. I believe I know where you are referring when you say Westchester. I use to live in Playa Del Rey. I thought it was just a sleepy little beach community, but it is being heavily influenced now by communities to the east that aren't so pleasant such as Inglewood to name a few. In Playa, there were a lot of gangbangers loitering in the parks, I didn't care for it. My friend bought a rather expensive condo in Playa Vista, which is a brand new area that has been developed south of Marina Del Rey. She said Playa Vista is not at all what she expected it to be and hardly worth the money.
So you're saying gangbangers have expanded their territory in the Westchester/PDR area?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 PM

81 posts, read 311,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
So you're saying gangbangers have expanded their territory in the Westchester/PDR area?
Eventually, the gangbangers will own all of Los Angeles, but for now, yes. All around LAX (Westchester/PDR) even Marina Del Rey doesn't look that great anymore.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM

1,753 posts, read 6,219,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzxyz View Post
Eventually, the gangbangers will own all of Los Angeles, but for now, yes. All around LAX (Westchester/PDR) even Marina Del Rey doesn't look that great anymore.

Based on these and many of your prior posts, it sounds like you're a short timer, looking to get out as soon as you can. We can't build a 20-foot wall on the east side of the 405. In the 35-years I've lived in LA, my wife and I have had only ONE unfortunate incident with a gang member. Do they happen? Yes. Everyday in a neighborhood like Westchester or MdR? No.

Westchester is a lovely area.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Based on these and many of your prior posts, it sounds like you're a short timer, looking to get out as soon as you can. We can't build a 20-foot wall on the east side of the 405. In the 35-years I've lived in LA, my wife and I have had only ONE unfortunate incident with a gang member. Do they happen? Yes. Everyday in a neighborhood like Westchester or MdR? No.

Westchester is a lovely area.
It would be rediculous if gangs owned LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles