U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:10 AM

2,875 posts, read 10,120,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaselva View Post
do you know if i have to book in advance or can i just show up on the day?
No reservations needed for the Surfliner (SLO - SAN DIEGO) for coach and non-holiday travel. Business class and holidays, yes, get a reservation. Business class, BTW, for the extra few bucks is mostly worth it. Ultra comfortable with a couple of extra niceties thrown in (complimentary juice, coffee and snacks) plus BC service has always been superb in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:49 PM

18,041 posts, read 19,734,957 times
The train is really fun! You will definitely enjoy the Surfliner

Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 PM

81 posts, read 311,721 times
Neither. Buses are horrible. I had a friend who took a Greyhound bus a few years ago and he didn't think he would live to tell about it. Amtrak is not what it is cracked up to be. I took the train from LA to San Diego because someone said it is scenic. Yeah, until you get out of LA county the scenes are pretty horrific. Some stuff close to San Diego was nice, but I would never do it again.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:27 PM

240 posts, read 1,346,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
No reservations needed for the Surfliner (SLO - SAN DIEGO) for coach and non-holiday travel. Business class and holidays, yes, get a reservation. Business class, BTW, for the extra few bucks is mostly worth it. Ultra comfortable with a couple of extra niceties thrown in (complimentary juice, coffee and snacks) plus BC service has always been superb in my experience.
I've taken the train from LA to San Diego several times and I never even even considered asking about business class. This is good to know. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 AM

81 posts, read 263,161 times
Hmm, I might consider taking the train when I get back to LA next month. I've always had a negative impression of Amtrak.

I've been in Europe for the past 8 months and have been thoroughly impressed by the train system. You can get from any city to any other at basically anytime. The trains run frequently and on time, and I haven't heard of any major train derailings/accidents, considering how much the trains are used.

Now, if only the US could develop Amtrak to be smooth and efficient. I know there are plans for a high-speed rail system to link SD, LA, Vegas, the Bay Area, Sactown and everywhere in between. But I must be dreaming that this will get people out of their cars and off the stressways that used to be "free". Some freedom, indeed.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 AM

49 posts, read 231,077 times
Default Where do I catch the train? (new to this area)

Hi,
I'm going to be taking the train from LA to San Diego in a week or so and would love to make reservations for buisness class. Went to the Amtrak site and I just don't recognize enough of the stops to know which ones are close to me. I live in the Brentwood area, so based on comments here would it be Union Station (and where is that).

Or, would it be easier to leave from Woodland Hills or Sherman Oaks because i could park my car there easier (don't know if they even have stops at these places, but just a thought).

Any comments?

Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 AM

2,875 posts, read 10,120,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindasuedallas View Post
Hi,
I'm going to be taking the train from LA to San Diego in a week or so and would love to make reservations for buisness class. Went to the Amtrak site and I just don't recognize enough of the stops to know which ones are close to me. I live in the Brentwood area, so based on comments here would it be Union Station (and where is that).

Or, would it be easier to leave from Woodland Hills or Sherman Oaks because i could park my car there easier (don't know if they even have stops at these places, but just a thought).

Any comments?
Union Station would be your best bet, in my estimation. If for no other reason than that there are far more schedules departing Union Station for San Diego than from points north. From Brentwood there might even be a MetroRapid option for you if you can get to Wilshire Blvd. Check the MTA's web site: metro.net | Trip Planning, Transit Services & Information for Los Angeles County.

Incidentally, in the Valley the Surfliner stops in Chatsworth, Van Nuys and Burbank Airport, not Woodland Hills or Sherman Oaks.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 AM

14,527 posts, read 16,122,955 times
Union Station is downtown. I haven't taken the train yet, but I think you can take Metrolink from Van Nuys to downtown and then switch to Amtrak there. Read up at Metrolink Stations & Maps, and take a look at the map. I don't think there are any stops in WH or SO unless you bring your own train and track.

Myself, if I was taking the train to SD I wouldn't want to spend the first 45-60 minutes stuck in traffic.

(Please note that I did not verify that Amtrack runs out of Union Station, but I've studied Metrolink intending on taking it and Metrolink does go to Union Station.)

EDIT: I simultaneous posted with the post above, but just to add, I think that MetroRapid means it's a bus. I wouldn't want to spend 45 minutes on a bus either before taking the SD train. I think either take Metrolink Van Nuys to Union Station and transfer to Amtrack downtown, or if you can get on Amtrack right in Van Nuys then do that. I suspect the schedules would determine which makes the best sense.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:08 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,377,714 times
Take the Amtrak train. Alot better than Greyhound. I've taken the train many of times to SD. Alot better scenery, more relaxing, better experience.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:09 PM

983 posts, read 4,145,644 times
Definitely train and depending on yr travel dates I would book in advance. Can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles