Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 02:36 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

People can be careless with the equipment, and it gets damaged. They're charging for maintenance of the equipment. Some people deliberately vandalize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 02:37 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times
I was in Parker, Arizona, not so long ago I was surprised at how rude Running man gas station owner was when I asked about water. Apparently They only had a paid air pump, no water not even if willing to pay, in fact the only water at the station except for bottled water is a locked faucet. When asked for where the water dispenser is at the counter they will not be shy nor apologetic to answer the water they do have is not for “customer use.” But they do have a air pump for $2.Wow I thought people on that side of the border are more friendly and go the extra mile for paying patrons especially those who fill up with gas, after all the drove all the way across the desert to give them business. I guess not always the case. I would be curious California requires gas stations to provide free and water to those who fill up with gas? I never encounter a situation where I needed it in California thus never got to confront a gas station owner to remind him of the requirement. I be curious anyone who experienced needing air and water in a CA gas station and had experience getting the owner to waive the fee since you got gas per CA legislation? Were they friendly or frustrated or reluctant when asked?

Old 07-27-2021, 03:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I heard that cars sold without spare tire have air compressor stored in the trunk.
Yes, some have a little compressor and a can of goo to fix the leak, others just a can of air, much like spray paint.

We are happy that both our 2017 F150 and 2020 Outback have full-size spares, as all 4WD or all WD vehicles should. The space saving spares and little compressors are just to save weight and help meet MPG goals. Knocking on wood, but the last 3 vehicles we had before these two never had their spare on the ground.
When we did have a flat, it was always at home when leaving. I'd fill it with my compressor and drive to the nearby Les Schwab to get it fixed free.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:40 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
The only places I know of that don't charge for air, other than old style gas stations with a service bay(s), are a couple convenience stores on steroids, Sheetz and WaWa. The traditional gas station/convenience stores have a charge for air machine.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:56 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The only places I know of that don't charge for air, other than old style gas stations with a service bay(s), are a couple convenience stores on steroids, Sheetz and WaWa. The traditional gas station/convenience stores have a charge for air machine.
Never heard of Sheetz and WaWa. Where are they located in Los Angeles?

Old 07-27-2021, 07:27 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Never heard of Sheetz and WaWa. Where are they located in Los Angeles?
Sorry, I posted thinking this was in Automotive. They're a couple PA based gas stations/convenience type stores but with custom made sandwiches and stuff. As I said, convenience stores on steroids. No matter where they are, even in the middle of the middle of nowhere, they're always busy.

It's been so long since I've been in CA I don't know a comparable.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:48 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
I'm pretty sure there is a law against that in California and the OP mentioned CA towns.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:08 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The Chevron and Shell stations in Monterey Park and Montebello charge you 1.50 to use the air or water thing. In Alhambra or Pasadena, it's free.

Are more and more stations doing this? What areas do this?

There's some law that says stations have to give you free air and water, but it might be old.

I guess they hate the idea of giving things away for free.
Many places do this now. So many places that, years ago, I got a $30 air compressor from Target and just do my air at home.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:10 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
I can't remember the last time that I saw air pumps in the island with the fuel pumps. Stirke that there is a Chevron with a carwash attached in Culver City that had one maybe 10 years ago, I don't know if it is still free. However it seems like vendors put machines up at the corner of gas station lots that are coin or credit card operated. There being a 25 year old law is news to me. Los Angeles County doesn't seem to be enforcing that law on stations when the check the pumps to make sure that they are calibrated. Or that $1.50 times x amount of drivers is more than any fine.

As for water, with modern coolant systems do you really want to just poor water in them? You might as well just pull into a quick oil change location to top that off

Old 07-28-2021, 08:07 AM

316 posts, read 130,978 times
Quote:
It's nothing new here in Texas. Most stations charge for that, for years. Some stations have removed their air pumps entirely.

But laws in California are different:
Since 1999, California law has required “every service station in this state to provide, during operating hours, water, compressed air and a gauge for measuring air pressure to the public for use in servicing any passenger or commercial vehicle.”
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...924-story.html

Any Chevron, Mobil, or Shell will activate the air, if you go to the counter and ask.

Here you can find gas stations that offer free air/water:
https://www.freeairpump.com/
This is right, any station where I've needed air I just go ask at the counter and they turn it on. Legally they cannot charge for it, the coin slots are there more to prevent people abusing them. It would be like people leaving their trash cans out so people don't park in front of their house.

Quote:
I heard that cars sold without spare tire have air compressor stored in the trunk.
Didn't know they had air compressors. The vehicles I've seen without a spare have run-flat tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles