U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 AM

2,652 posts, read 7,915,324 times

Advertisements

Ultra Runner nailed it. Shows what a little research can do. All's renter's see is "abolish rent control" and they run for the hills. They don't research and see it does more good than bad.

Why are you for wage control motoman? If someone does a kick ass job, they should get a decent raise. When someone controls salaries, sounds a little too dictating to me.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:43 PM

830 posts, read 2,618,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Ultra Runner nailed it. Shows what a little research can do. All's renter's see is "abolish rent control" and they run for the hills. They don't research and see it does more good than bad.

Why are you for wage control motoman? If someone does a kick ass job, they should get a decent raise. When someone controls salaries, sounds a little too dictating to me.

I was being sarcastic. I believe in wage control as much as I do rent control, which is nada. Free market my friend. Free market.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM

81 posts, read 311,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Please read Prop 98... it changes nothing about Security Deposits... California Law states Security Deposits as a matter of Public Policy are refundable except in cases of unpaid rent and property damage...

Prop 98 does NOT eliminate rent control on existing units for existing tenants.. so the reality is tenants can choose to live out the rest of their days in their Rent Controlled units... it could easily take 30 or more years for Rent Control to be phased out under Prop 98.

Prop 98 is funded by a very large group of people interested in property rights... which includes Farmers, Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association and Rental Property Owners...

Prop 98 prevents the taking of private property for the benefit of a private party... Developers will no longer be able to use Eminent Domain as a means to acquire land for another Shopping Center.

Prop 98 protects from Eminent Domain abuse... Homes, Small businesses, Family farms and ranches, Rentals and Places of Worship.

Prop 98 also provides for the return of property if a public agency takes property under false pretenses or abandons its plans. The property must be offered for sale to the original owner at the original price and the property tax would be assessed at the value of the property when it was originally condemned

Prop 98 does not prevent cities and counties from continuing to use Eminent Domain to obtain land for roads, schools, public hospitals and parks

Please vote YES on Prop 98... protect property rights in California for all...
I have to say, you are clearly a property owner. This is what landlords have successfully done by incorporating benefits for themselves and screwing tenants all in one nice neat little proposition. They have pitted landowners against tenants and that is unspeakable. First, if rent control is abolished, what most people will automatically see is a 30% - 40% increase in their rent. Think it won't happen, move to most areas in Los Angeles that do not have rent control and see the kind of rents landlords impose, especially if they want to force people out they don't like. Prop 98 will eliminate many tenant rights, there is no question. Read closely about Prop 98. The problem is, apartment dwellers are always considered third class citizens that no one cares about. It truly gives these wealthy landlords carte blanche and we are already paying too much for crappy apartments in this city.

Last edited by xyzxyz; 05-15-2008 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,667,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzxyz View Post
I have to say, you are clearly a property owner. This is what landlords have successfully done by incorporating benefits for themselves and screwing tenants all in one nice neat little proposition. They have pitted landowners against tenants and that is unspeakable. First, if rent control is abolished, what most people will automatically see is a 30% - 40% increase in their rent. Think it won't happen, move to most areas in Los Angeles that do not have rent control and see the kind of rents landlords impose, especially if they want to force people out they don't like. Prop 98 will eliminate many tenant rights, there is no question. Read closely about Prop 98. The problem is, apartment dwellers are always considered third class citizens that no one cares about. It truly gives these wealthy landlords carte blanche and we are already paying too much for crappy apartments in this city.
Leave if its so bad.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 15,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Leave if its so bad.
Why should we have to leave if it's so bad? L.A. is already becoming a city of the very rich and the very poor. Without a middle class, this city will just be limping along.

I'd prefer that landlords be reasonable human beings, and take into consideration that wages have risen very little in the past few years - but they don't. It's all about money and greed. I wouldn't mind that at all if their bottom line didn't affect my ability to live.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Why should we have to leave if it's so bad? L.A. is already becoming a city of the very rich and the very poor. Without a middle class, this city will just be limping along.

I'd prefer that landlords be reasonable human beings, and take into consideration that wages have risen very little in the past few years - but they don't. It's all about money and greed. I wouldn't mind that at all if their bottom line didn't affect my ability to live.
Why should property owners accept less than fair market value? Do you? Do you tell your boss that you'd gladly work there for 20% less? I've already accepted that I don't make enough money to have the life I want here in the city I was born and raised in. So I'm making plans to go somewhere more affordable. Isn't that what this board is all about? If LA wants to be a two class society, let 'em. The writing's been on *that* wall for a long time. Go somewhere else where you can have a comfortable middle class life without depending on the government to make your housing affordable.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,558,543 times
Quote:

If you were living at home with you're parents and paying rent, your parents could take your wages into consideration. Your landlord is not your parent. The landlord is running a business. Your wages are not his affair. When he accepts rent for less then the market would give him he is TAKING A LOSS. It would be justice for you to pay market rent and let your parents and friends lend you the additional money you need for your rent. They are your family. Why put the burden on your landlord? Just because you can? The landlord doesn't know you from Adam. He dosen't owe you anything and never claimed to be in the "charity" business, but he supports you every month by however much he is losing on the apt. The landlord is being "mugged" every month.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 15,774,233 times
My landlord owns 15 buildings in the Valley. I seriously doubt he's hurting for money in any way, shape or form. If he were, he'd sell the buildings that weren't profitable. Remember, this is the same man who illegally converted a roomy single into a stifling, cramped one-bedroom apartment just so he could get a few hundred more per month.

He'd be taking a loss only if he doesn't make any profit at all. If he's making less of a profit... Well, a profit is still a profit in my book.

I don't call it "charity". I call it being able to live decently and independently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
If you were living at home with you're parents and paying rent, your parents could take your wages into consideration. Your landlord is not your parent. The landlord is running a business. Your wages are not his affair. When he accepts rent for less then the market would give him he is TAKING A LOSS. It would be justice for you to pay market rent and let your parents and friends lend you the additional money you need for your rent. They are your family. Why put the burden on your landlord? Just because you can? The landlord doesn't know you from Adam. He dosen't owe you anything and never claimed to be in the "charity" business, but he supports you every month by however much he is losing on the apt. The landlord is being "mugged" every month.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
My landlord owns 15 buildings in the Valley. I seriously doubt he's hurting for money in any way, shape or form. If he were, he'd sell the buildings that weren't profitable. Remember, this is the same man who illegally converted a roomy single into a stifling, cramped one-bedroom apartment just so he could get a few hundred more per month.

He'd be taking a loss only if he doesn't make any profit at all. If he's making less of a profit... Well, a profit is still a profit in my book.

I don't call it "charity". I call it being able to live decently and independently.
Ahh, written like someone who's never run a business and thinks they have the right to tell someone else how much is enough. Maybe there should be some Commission on Wages and Investment Returns that tells everyone how much money is appropriate. What are you going to do when someone tells YOU that you need to earn less money. You'll still make money, just not as much. Its only fair.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,558,543 times
What you "seriously doubt" dosen't have anything to do with anyones financial situation.
If he has 15 buildings then he probably has 15 mortgages! He's making less money then he could because of you. It's his investment and his risk and you are in no position to decide what is an acceptable profit for him or anybody else. You're not living independently. Someone is being FORCED to carry some of your weight every month. You're right, it's not charity. There is no FORCE involved in charity. It is a MUGGING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles