U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2008, 10:28 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,663,884 times
Reputation: 7522

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
And for anyone who is wondering why I don't just move out of state, I really love my job and the people I work with.
You think that makes you special? Welcome to the tough decision millions of people around the world have had to make in the face of economic realities. Do you think I want to leave SoCal where my entire life is? But reality is reality. Maybe we need housing price control so I can get a 4 bedroom house in a great neighborhood for, oh, $200k. That's the price I've decided is fair not I'm not going to let reality get in the way.

 
Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Wow. You're getting a $500/mo+ city-imposed gift from your landlord. Rent control is no different from section 8, except the burden is 100% on the property owner instead of spread out among all tax payers, the property owner is forced to take it, and the benefit it given out without regard to the recipient's income level.
In this building, two-bedrooms go for about $1,350. It only has a car port with one space per unit, no central air or heat, and no elevator. Also, the water is turned off intermittently every so often without warning, I can hear my neighbors arguing loudly all day long (and they're the managers!), the "maintenance" mail box is always full when I call the office, etc. I know I'm paying well below market rates, but I still bregrudge my landlord every penny he collects from me.
 
Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 AM
 
3,413 posts, read 6,558,044 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
In this building, two-bedrooms go for about $1,350. It only has a car port with one space per unit, no central air or heat, and no elevator. Also, the water is turned off intermittently every so often without warning, I can hear my neighbors arguing loudly all day long (and they're the managers!), the "maintenance" mail box is always full when I call the office, etc. I know I'm paying well below market rates, but I still bregrudge my landlord every penny he collects from me.
Would you still be for rent control if you didn't qualify because it only applied to low-income people?
 
Old 05-17-2008, 11:17 AM
 
Location: CA
2,464 posts, read 5,926,398 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by perek View Post
Guess why? Cali, DC, MD, NJ, and NY have the highest cost some of living prices in the nation (DC, LA, NYC are the most expensive cities in the nation/world)! The market in LA certainly does NOT support the crazy high rent here, people are just forced to pay it. If you live in a place you shouldn't be forced out of it by crazy increases in rent every year, the rent increases are purely profit driven, much like oil prices. The landlords mortgage certainly wont go up, property taxes may increase, but not at some of the rates of rent increase seen in LA.
Rent control is not keeping the market prices down. You said it yourself that LA rents are crazy high. Why? L.A. has an extremely low vacancy rate... thanks to rent control (check out the vacancy rates in L.A., you'll find that it's often below 5%. There's no incentive to make a person move if they are getting below market rates... so they stay and often for a VERY long time. SandyCo is an example. I can offer more examples...

I have a SIL who has been in the same 1+1 rent controlled apt in Hollywood for 8 years (she pays 800/month - the landlord could get $1400-$1500 easy). In her building, she and her BF have been there the LEAST amount of time. So imagine that... an ENTIRE apartment building hasn't seen market prices in at least 8 years. Now, how does that NOT effect current market rates when so many units are being tied up? What about the landlord in my SIL place who has sat back and watched the rental market blow by him as inflation eats up the 3% a year he gets when the rental market has gone up by more than 5% average/yr in L.A. County? His "profit" easily turns into a operating loss with one major repair. Why do you think so many rent controlled units look like sh*t? The guy is lucky to break even.
 
Old 05-17-2008, 11:47 AM
 
27,075 posts, read 54,279,688 times
Reputation: 21277
Default Most Expensive... the survey says?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perek View Post
Guess why? Cali, DC, MD, NJ, and NY have the highest cost some of living prices in the nation (DC, LA, NYC are the most expensive cities in the nation/world)!
I did a quick check of the top 10 cities with the highest rent and MD and NJ didn't make the cut... note, only half have Rent Control

New York City $2,400
San Francisco $1,573
Los Angeles $1,421
Orange County $1,384
San Jose $1,330
Boston $1,216
San Diego $1,213
Oakland $1,210
Washington, DC $1,160
Fort Lauderdale $1,104


Only one US city makes the top 10 for most expensive in the world and that is New York coming in at number 5. Los Angeles comes in at number 21...

Fascinating that Western Europe has the largest concentrations of expensive cities... enjoy!

Here's the link... City Mayors: World's most expensive cities in 2008 - Ranking

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-17-2008 at 12:08 PM..
 
Old 05-17-2008, 02:00 PM
 
2,573 posts, read 7,873,802 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Rent control is not keeping the market prices down. You said it yourself that LA rents are crazy high. Why? L.A. has an extremely low vacancy rate... thanks to rent control (check out the vacancy rates in L.A., you'll find that it's often below 5%. There's no incentive to make a person move if they are getting below market rates... so they stay and often for a VERY long time. SandyCo is an example. I can offer more examples...

I have a SIL who has been in the same 1+1 rent controlled apt in Hollywood for 8 years (she pays 800/month - the landlord could get $1400-$1500 easy). In her building, she and her BF have been there the LEAST amount of time. So imagine that... an ENTIRE apartment building hasn't seen market prices in at least 8 years. Now, how does that NOT effect current market rates when so many units are being tied up? What about the landlord in my SIL place who has sat back and watched the rental market blow by him as inflation eats up the 3% a year he gets when the rental market has gone up by more than 5% average/yr in L.A. County? His "profit" easily turns into a operating loss with one major repair. Why do you think so many rent controlled units look like sh*t? The guy is lucky to break even.
i know someone who has been in the same rent-controlled apartment for 22 years, currently paying under $800 for a 2/1. he has to fight tooth-and-nail for basic maintenance, and ends up doing a lot of it himself, but he refuses to move because of the cheap rent. the sad part is that he really can't afford to move now, because over the past 22 years he has made employment choices based upon what it cost him to live there, and his income has only kept pace with his artificially low rent, not the true cost of living in LA. now approaching retirement age, he'll probably stay there until he dies, because his social security payments won't afford him anything else unless he leaves the state. he did it to himself.
 
Old 05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
106 posts, read 354,933 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I did a quick check of the top 10 cities with the highest rent and MD and NJ didn't make the cut... note, only half have Rent Control

New York City $2,400
San Francisco $1,573
Los Angeles $1,421
Orange County $1,384
San Jose $1,330
Boston $1,216
San Diego $1,213
Oakland $1,210
Washington, DC $1,160
Fort Lauderdale $1,104


Only one US city makes the top 10 for most expensive in the world and that is New York coming in at number 5. Los Angeles comes in at number 21...

Fascinating that Western Europe has the largest concentrations of expensive cities... enjoy!

Here's the link... City Mayors: World's most expensive cities in 2008 - Ranking
MD has some areas outside the DC metro which rival Los Angles for cost.

Also, isn't all cali, ny under rent control? I count 8/10 cities with rent control.
 
Old 05-17-2008, 02:56 PM
 
27,075 posts, read 54,279,688 times
Reputation: 21277
Default CA Cities with Rent Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by perek View Post
MD has some areas outside the DC metro which rival Los Angles for cost.

Also, isn't all cali, ny under rent control? I count 8/10 cities with rent control.
The State of California list the following cities as having Rent Control on their website:

Landlord/Tenant Book - California Department of Consumer Affairs

LIST OF CA CITIES WITH RENT CONTROL
Berkeley
Beverly Hills
Campbell
East Palo Alto
Fremont
Hayward
Los Angeles
Los Gatos
Oakland
Palm Springs
San Francisco
San Jose
Santa Monica
Thousand Oaks
West Hollywood
 
Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
6,294 posts, read 15,771,894 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Would you still be for rent control if you didn't qualify because it only applied to low-income people?
Yes, but there's already a program in place for low income people. It's called Section 8. We have a few Section 8 tenants in this building, in fact.

There is a moderate amount of turnover in this building, probably because the landlord is so difficult to deal with, we don't have a decent manager, and the maintenance people are a joke.

I do wonder now if any rent-controlled building I would try to move to might have the same issues. Most tenants under rent control don't move out unless they absolutely have to, for whatever the reason, so I'd simply be trading one bad situation for another, except that I'd be paying more for it.
 
Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 PM
 
81 posts, read 311,676 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Yes, but there's already a program in place for low income people. It's called Section 8. We have a few Section 8 tenants in this building, in fact.

There is a moderate amount of turnover in this building, probably because the landlord is so difficult to deal with, we don't have a decent manager, and the maintenance people are a joke.

I do wonder now if any rent-controlled building I would try to move to might have the same issues. Most tenants under rent control don't move out unless they absolutely have to, for whatever the reason, so I'd simply be trading one bad situation for another, except that I'd be paying more for it.
WOW! I started this thread and it is amazing all of the wonderful conversation. I am learning I am not the only one who feels the way I do.

I have lived in 7 places in this city in 15 years. I have desperately tried to find what I feel are adequate living conditions for the price of rent and you can't find it. You just can't find it. You can spend thousands of dollars trying to find just the right place, and you never will. You will either have a ruthless landlord, rude tenants, an apartment that is horrible or all the above.

In my work with trying to get people to Vote "NO" on Prop 98, I am learning more and more that many people don't find rent-controlled buildings pleasant places to live. For the most part, landlords don't care because they are angry they have restrictions placed on them in how much they can raise the rent.

However, they falsely blame rent-control on that. Landlords don't care one way or another really. True, they may use rent-control as an excuse, but do you honestly think landlords are going to care more if rent-control is abolished and they start jacking up rents 30% every year? Absolutely not. No matter what the case, once they get you to sign that lease, they run for the hills. They don't want to see you or hear from you unless it is a grave emergency. They want you to just send them their rent check on time every month and you can get screwed after that.

I am paying $2500 a month to live in a 75-year-old building that at first, looked quite charming and appealing. I am under rent-control. There is virtually no water pressure in the place at all, two apartments in the complex are constantly leaking, there has been extensive water damage everywhere and the place has the worst musty smell I have ever smelled. There is no air conditioning and the floors are so hot you can't even walk on them when the temps go about 85. We had to furnish most of our own appliances and the fridge that the landlord provided is on the verge of going out, and the landlord refuses to furnish a new one. Some tenants believe they are at liberty to make their own parking rules and trash the grounds by tossing furniture and trash wherever it is convenient.

I say all of this because would I want to put up with all this from a landlord who is under strict guidelines to raise my rent no more than 5% or from a landlord who will raise it to whatever they want so they can live comfortably in their Beverly Hills home and travel around the world four times a year?

You be the judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top