U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:23 PM

72 posts, read 125,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Valley Girl is a movie, not reality. It's hype. If you didn't grow up here and got your idea of the area from Valley Girl, you're living in a fantasy.

In the area you defined you got all that, the TJ (in fact the TJ at White Oak and Burbank that I've been patronizing since 1975). You got the trendy restaurants, got all that, no problem.

Got a Persian problem? I think you have issues, it's not a "Persian area." It's an uber-pricy area. Nobody cares who moves in as long as they finance the property costs.

Oh and we don't care about gay people as long as they can pay their rent or mortgage payments too. We are gay neutral. We don't care if it's mommy and daddy, or daddy and daddy, or mommy and mommy. In the area you defined the only requirement is that you have the necessary bucks to ante up.

There are plenty of musicians and actors and film people, although fewer artists. You should go to the Venice area for artists, or maybe a few lofters downtown. Most artists can't really afford the area you've delineated.

Nobody cares how many people you have living there as long as your cars are parked off the public streets.

So okay I hope we've cleared up your misconceptions and questions. You got $500K-$1M, go for it!!! Please invite me for your housewarming.
I read on this board somewhere that Encino was mainly Persians-- I dont even care, except they do often have large loud families, got that here in Westwood as well. Noise drives me batty.

But yes, loved the 80's version OF LA in the movies--Valley Girl, Less than Zero, Clueless all very exotic to us New Yorkers.

I guess what I wanted to know is-- is, say Sherman Oaks or Studio City got a hipper vibe? Is it better to go for Woodland Hills, which seems cheaper, or are there negatives to that area I am unaware of ( besides the heat!). Tarzana has some nice lots, how does that compare to Encino or Sherman Oaks? That sort of thing.

And I know money is an issue for everyone, but I paid what you quoted for a house for a condo, so it seems like a better deal over the hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:31 AM

14,527 posts, read 16,126,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirlla View Post
I read on this board somewhere that Encino was mainly Persians...

But yes, loved the 80's version OF LA in the movies--Valley Girl, Less than Zero, Clueless all very exotic to us New Yorkers.

I guess what I wanted to know is-- is, say Sherman Oaks or Studio City got a hipper vibe? Is it better to go for Woodland Hills, which seems cheaper, or are there negatives to that area I am unaware of ( besides the heat!). Tarzana has some nice lots, how does that compare to Encino or Sherman Oaks? That sort of thing.

And I know money is an issue for everyone, but I paid what you quoted for a house for a condo, so it seems like a better deal over the hill.
Forget that Persian stuff. Most of us Valley people neither know or care what you are or what they are. The Wikipedia article supports what you said but Wikipedia is written by people just like you or me, so who knows? I've never seen very many Iranians and I doubt you'd end up next to an Iranian family except by chance. Also, your noisy Persian image is a stereotype. I'm friends with a very quiet mannered Persian couple, and btw surprisingly they are Jewish.

That Valley Girl movie is for all intents a cartoon, and exaggeration.

Actually all the towns from Studio City to Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, south of Ventura Blvd. to Mulholland Drive, should be a separate town. We call that area "SOB" South of the Boulevard (Ventura). It's the domain of the RBs (rich biatches) and the more affluent people of the Valley are the typical residents. Homes there start out about $1M and head on up to perhaps in some cases $10M and more. I know the guy who lives just East of Mulholland and Beverly Glen because I used to work for him. Check out that house and I doubt $20M would touch it. Typically the higher in the hills you go the more expensive the houses and the better the view. You'll find what you want here if you have the money to buy it.

Hipper vibe? No, SOB has an affluenter vibe (that's not really a word, but you get it). If you want "hip" try Venice. In fact check out Venice if you aren't familiar with it. Perhaps a house right on a canal is your cup of tea, and Venice has been long known for its beatnik hippie artist atmosphere.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM

Lovehound, Venice is really expensive--why is that, I remember it WAS the hippie enclave and now it is the reign of stunning architecturals, which I love, but prices in the gazillions, which I don't. What happened there? And Santa Monica is crazy too. So is Westwood, where I live now, for bigger houses-- 1000 sq ft houses sell for a million here.
I wonder what makes some areas so much more desireable, and thus expensive, than others? Hills I can understand, because of the views and privacy, but why are some areas like Amestoy Estates in the flats expensive and then 4 blocks away its not? I know, rhetorical question, but interesting to me because unlike NYC, you have land here to choose from.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,989 times
Quote:
Hi everyone
My husband and I have a condo in Westwood and I'm really sick of HOA and the like. I grew up in apts and I want a house with a pool-- but Hollywood Hills too congested and price
Photogirlla, What is your housing budget?

When I read your post, my first thought was you should skip the valley and look for a smaller, possible fixer home off of beverly glenn blvd or in that general area. You most likely will have to buy towards the top of the hills, but your husband's commute to work wont be so bad. He can shoot down beverly glenn through westwood to Century City. He can avoid all the 405 Traffic.

I checked MLS and there are homes well under 1mill and some even in the 550k range.
With regards to the pool, don't make it a requirement. Simply build a pool or hot tub after you get settled. That way you can customize and budget it.

Much better to live on the South Side a dem der hills.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Lovehound, Venice is really expensive--why is that, I remember it WAS the hippie enclave and now it is the reign of stunning architecturals, which I love, but prices in the gazillions, which I don't. What happened there? .
Well it's a unique lifestyle, and there's only so much real estate to sell. Supply and demand, not much supply, high demand, prices go high. It might even be worth it!

Or in another sense, why worth it? Where else in CA can you live on a canal?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Photogirlla, What is your housing budget?

When I read your post, my first thought was you should skip the valley and look for a smaller, possible fixer home off of beverly glenn blvd or in that general area. You most likely will have to buy towards the top of the hills, but your husband's commute to work wont be so bad. He can shoot down beverly glenn through westwood to Century City. He can avoid all the 405 Traffic.

I checked MLS and there are homes well under 1mill and some even in the 550k range.
With regards to the pool, don't make it a requirement. Simply build a pool or hot tub after you get settled. That way you can customize and budget it.

Much better to live on the South Side a dem der hills.
Well I'm just looking at what's out there now--alot of overpriced crap compared to 6 mos agoand waiting to see what's going on with the family--there may be more than just us living in the house so it will have to be a big one (possibly 6 adults, yowza, though hopefully not all at once.). As far as the pool-- the problem seems to be if they don't come with one in the hills, how would one put it in on those cliffhanger houses? There are alot of higher end houses without pools, they don't seem to affect the budget that much--how much is it to put one in, about 50K or something?

There seems to be some stuff in Brentwood--what is the Beverly glen area called on the MLS?
Thanks!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 PM

1,753 posts, read 6,215,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Or in another sense, why worth it? Where else in CA can you live on a canal?
Naples, CA in Long Beach. Though, I have to be honest, I don't know if they have homes along the canal.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:34 AM

Well if you don't know if they have homes along the canal, then maybe you can't live on the canal in Naples. Actually I've never heard of it. You could write a book on things that I don't know. In fact somebody did. They called it an encyclopedia.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,102,989 times
Quote:
There seems to be some stuff in Brentwood--what is the Beverly glen area called on the MLS?
Thanks!

I would suggest you buy a large house/lot in Northridge/chatsworth. 6 adults and a big front yard, room for a pool.

How long have you lived in westwood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or