Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM

13 posts, read 12,883 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, whats up?

I never knew there was an island outside of Los Angeles (apart from Hawaii, which is like.. WAY outside)!!

There is not much information about this island on Wikipedia. I read there is a city on it, called Avalon. Its not really populated.

Id like to know if this is a nice place to live.. and why there are only like 3000 people living there!! I mean, it seems wonderful!!

Im guessing about every los angelin (or whatever), has visited this island, or.. atleast, alot of you. Maybe someone on here even lives there!!

PLEASE inform me on this sunny island! Id love to know more about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,904,000 times
By island living standards, Catalina is very small and not built up with the exception of the Avalon area. It's mostly a weekend stopover for Angelenos, divers and tourists of some of the cruise lines. Aside from the few hotels, restaurants and shops on the island, there's no job market.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:10 PM

thats what i thought. are there no schools there? no college? I wonder why its so desolated.. it seems like a nice place!!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:06 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times
The schools on Catalina Island are actually a part of the Long Beach Unified School District. There is no college on the island.

Angelenos use the island as a weekend getaway. For people in LA with boats its a fun quick little getaway and doesn't require a long trek.

Catalina used to be owned by the Wrigley family (as in Wrigley Spearmint gum and Wrigley Field in Chicago)

Last edited by calipoppy; 05-20-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: to add info

Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,235,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingIt View Post
thats what i thought. are there no schools there? no college? I wonder why its so desolated.. it seems like a nice place!!
Avalon has school through high school. Saw the graduation one year.

There is very little water on Catalina. Half the Avalon supply comes from a desalinization plant. The rest from the winter rains. Avalon is plumbed with salt water for commodes and such.

The Island was owned by the Wrigley family who placed most of it in the Catalina Island Conservancy. This pretty much guarantees that it will never be developed. Civilization exists only in Avalon and at the Isthmus. There are some campgrounds and such in various coves. The boy scouts have a substantial one in Emerald Cove.

Best way to see the island is by small boat. There are numerous moorings and such. All the tourist activity is in Avalon with a single bar and convenience store in the Isthmus.

Actually a fabulous place. There are other Islands in the chain which are even more remote.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,757,298 times
Been there a few times.

All I remember is submarine rides, an ice cream place, and driving past the Wrigley Mansion.

I have a real hazy memory of that place, but I remember a little touristy strip area.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Been there a few times.

All I remember is submarine rides, an ice cream place, and driving past the Wrigley Mansion.

I have a real hazy memory of that place, but I remember a little touristy strip area.
You were probably only in Avalon, then.

Catalina definitely has more to offer: diving, snorkeling, hiking, horseback riding, buffalos in the interior of the island, etc

Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 AM

awesome, I regret we didnt stop by when we were in L.A!!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,460,993 times
Another reason for small population is that they have a quota of how many cars can be on the island. You can rent golf carts if you're visiting, which we did, and it was a worthy experience. I can't imagine wanting to live there, but visiting is always fun.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingIt View Post
awesome, I regret we didnt stop by when we were in L.A!!
A trip to Catalina is worth it if you have a few extra days while visiting LA - it has a very Mediterranean feel

If you are a boater, most people go to Two Harbors or the Isthmus on the other end of the island...very remote and peacful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles