U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 24,360 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the offer, but she won't talk to anyone in LA she doesn't know. She pretty business minded, and I am sure she will check out all the places she sees. I am gonna continue to do all the research I am learning to do with City Data and LAPD. I am sure between the two of us with the Lord's help we will find that right spot. It just takes lots of work and research. I am learning alot about a lot of areas. I think we need to continue to look around for other options. Again, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:05 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,873,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmpajr View Post
Nope, acting. Has done a little acting in low budget movies, wanted to be close to Los Angeles. Someone showed her this area and this is in her budget. Are you familar with Manhattan Place and 3rd Street?
koreatown is crowded and gritty/dirty, but not a slum. as the name implies, there are lots of koreans there, as well as many hispanics. USC students and other young people also find it desirable for the same reason that your daughter is looking there: it's cheap by LA standards.

i know the intersection of 3rd and manhattan. it's west of western avenue, so that means it's on the better side of koreatown, but things can change block-by-block in that part of the city. it would take someone with more intimate knowledge of the area than i to say whether that's a good block or a bad one.

another good source of safety information is the local police division station. the desk officer can usually say, with great specificity, if a street or even a particular building is safe.

call here to ask about the address you have in mind:
LAPD, Wilshire Division
4861 West Venice
Los Angeles, CA 90019
213-473-0476 Voice
213-485-2112 TDD/TTY

Old 05-15-2008, 02:12 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,541,667 times
its not too bad at all, its in the northern part of K town, but on the edge with the nicer areas to the west. a quick check on mapquests' aerial view will show you that it is mostly apts, which is typical of the area, but further west along 6th and 3rd are very nice homes. old homes that are really a sight to see all the way over to highland.
but this area is relatively safe. if she were to go further south and further east deeper into K-town she would be bordering Mac park which is the PITTS!!!!
do an aerial view of this area thru Mapquest and get down to the 2 level zoom. you will see the layout of the land. but this by no means does it justice.
when i have to go into HllyWd from Ktown or DTown i drive along 6th because of the nice houses. its no too bad moms.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:21 PM

What do you mean further east deeper into K-town? Do you mean from 3rd street on Manhattan Place farther away from Wilshire street. I am a little confused. So is 3rd street and Manhattan the pitts? Or is it fairly safe?

Old 05-15-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmpajr View Post
What do you mean further east deeper into K-town? Do you mean from 3rd street on Manhattan Place farther away from Wilshire street. I am a little confused. So is 3rd street and Manhattan the pitts? Or is it fairly safe?
the farther east one goes, the less safe/clean/comfortable the neighborhood becomes. beyond koreatown, to the east, you get into REALLY icky territory. that's what he means. the address in question is on the western edge.

wilshire blvd. is an east-west thoroughfare. third street (also E-W) is .75-1 mile north of wilshire. what, in your mind, is the relevance of wilshire?

Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 PM

I think Wilshire and 3rd street run paralle and Manhattan run the opposite way and connects the two. I was asking if the farther you get from Wilshire going toward 3rd street does the area get worse. Am I making sense or do I have to be there to understand, this is the way it looks on the map. Sorry to sound so confused. Bottom line is the safety of S. Manhattan and 3rd Street. I have been trying to contact LAPD, but that is hard. They don't answer the phone in that district. Maybe I have been looking at this area to long and beginning to bore everyone, sorry. Maybe it's time to move along.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:48 PM

no, koreatown doesn't get worse north of wilshire. if i had to live there, i would rather be north of wilshire than south of it. however, that doesn't mean that any block north of wilshire will be a good one.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,541,667 times
yes thanks Katenik, the further east and south of 3RD and MANHATTAN the worse it gets, paricularly over by the PARK. that is tha PITTS.

ok i just re read my post and i was pretty clear. all i could say now is go to mapquest.com and check out an aerial view of the area. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or