Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 07:38 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
300 covid "related" deaths in roughly 800k full time sworn officers nationally. Probably closer to a million including sworn reserves.
Hey, didn’t you get the memo from these vax nazis?

It’s a public safety issue if these unvax cops take 7-14 days of sick leave.

But it’s no longer a public safety issue of these unvax cops take permanent leave via termination of employment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 10:52 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
So your logic is unvax cop pose a danger to the public through their “absence” if they get sick, therefore, the logical answer is to permanently terminate their employment from the department….even though the Covid death for the unvax the age group 21-50 (that’s the age range for cops) is like what 1%?

It’s a danger to the public if they take 7-14 days of Covid sick leave, but it’s no longer a “danger” to public if they are terminated?

Ok, sure
So, just making assumptions is your hobby, eh? . You’re not very good at this.

No, I didn’t say “unvax cop pose a danger to the public through their “absence”” …. I pointed out, correctly, that large numbers of cops out sick - that is: any cops (vaxxed or not) out sick for any reason (covid or other) - quite obviously reduce execution of public safety.

For example:
JAN. 5, 2022 9 AM PT
More than 1,000 police officers, firefighters and paramedics in the Los Angeles region were ill or at home quarantining on Tuesday after testing positive for the coronavirus, spurring additional concerns about public safety as the Omicron variant continues its rapid spread.
. https://www.latimes.com/california/s...hter-paramedic

The coverage linked above breaks down how many cops and how many firefighters and paramedics from area departments were out due to covid-related sickness or positive testing in just one week last month.

Now, that covered, um, also no, I didn’t say termination from employment was any solution.

You might want to consider that me pointing out flawed logic in posts -yours and those from others - does not necessarily constitute me arguing an opposing viewpoint. Maybe I just enjoy dissecting faulty reasoning? (In fact, I do. )

You were arguing that unvaxxed cops pose no danger to the public … yet you acknowledged, at least, that vaccinations reduce severity even if they don’t stop spread (and actually, we don’t know the degree to which spread is lessened by virtue of large-scale vaccinations across populations).

If vaccinations at least reduce severity and death rate … then quite obviously unvaxxed cops diminish their public safety potential.

My only personal observation would be drawn from my humorously jaded military service where we lined up and took a boatload of shots and vaccinations without option. We weren’t allowed to protest, refuse … or quit alternatively in refusal. Service to the nation was without those options. Right or wrong as the vaccinations might have been. These first-responders are not so constrained. If they don’t want to devote themselves to their public service without qualifications - they can quit and find other careers elsewhere.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
300 covid "related" deaths in roughly 800k full time sworn officers nationally. Probably closer to a million including sworn reserves.
And? So? Fact is: Covid was the number 1 cop-killer in 2021 … however small the percentage was it lends perspective to the perception of danger on-the-job.

That said, pointing out the mortality is the smaller element when considering the issue being discussed. As evidenced and linked by the previous post’s article on the number of first-responders out sick in LA in one week last month, the reduction of public safety service due to illness and severity of illness is quite considerable.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, just making assumptions is your hobby, eh? . You’re not very good at this.

No, I didn’t say “unvax cop pose a danger to the public through their “absence”” …. I pointed out, correctly, that large numbers of cops out sick - that is: any cops (vaxxed or not) out sick for any reason (covid or other) - quite obviously reduce execution of public safety.

For example:
JAN. 5, 2022 9 AM PT
More than 1,000 police officers, firefighters and paramedics in the Los Angeles region were ill or at home quarantining on Tuesday after testing positive for the coronavirus, spurring additional concerns about public safety as the Omicron variant continues its rapid spread.
. https://www.latimes.com/california/s...hter-paramedic

The coverage linked above breaks down how many cops and how many firefighters and paramedics from area departments were out due to covid-related sickness or positive testing in just one week last month.

Now, that covered, um, also no, I didn’t say termination from employment was any solution.

You might want to consider that me pointing out flawed logic in posts -yours and those from others - does not necessarily constitute me arguing an opposing viewpoint. Maybe I just enjoy dissecting faulty reasoning? (In fact, I do. )

You were arguing that unvaxxed cops pose no danger to the public … yet you acknowledged, at least, that vaccinations reduce severity even if they don’t stop spread (and actually, we don’t know the degree to which spread is lessened by virtue of large-scale vaccinations across populations).

If vaccinations at least reduce severity and death rate … then quite obviously unvaxxed cops diminish their public safety potential.

My only personal observation would be drawn from my humorously jaded military service where we lined up and took a boatload of shots and vaccinations without option. We weren’t allowed to protest, refuse … or quit alternatively in refusal. Service to the nation was without those options. Right or wrong as the vaccinations might have been. These first-responders are not so constrained. If they don’t want to devote themselves to their public service without qualifications - they can quit and find other careers elsewhere.
so what's your solution for LAPD cops who refuse to get the jabs since termination isn't an answer?

Old 02-12-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
so what's your solution for LAPD cops who refuse to get the jabs since termination isn't an answer?
I don’t have one … and neither do you … nor does anyone else on this (or other) forum.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I don’t have one … and neither do you … nor does anyone else on this (or other) forum.
Who said i don't have a solution? i do have a solution.

Don't force vax mandate on cop because mandate doesn't work like you pointed out.

You can't physically use force to make them get the jab and you can't terminate their employment either, therefore, there is no point of a mandate.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Who said i don't have a solution? i do have a solution.

Don't force vax mandate on cop because mandate doesn't work like you pointed out.

You can't physically use force to make them get the jab and you can't terminate their employment either, therefore, there is no point of a mandate.
Lol. There is NO solution that will come out of anonymous posters kvetching and yammering on social media. So no, you don’t have a solution … you have an opinion … which no one will pay any attention to except other like-minded anonymous posters who will send you a rep point for your illuminatory revelation.

Old 02-12-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Lol. There is NO solution that will come out of anonymous posters kvetching and yammering on social media. So no, you don’t have a solution … you have an opinion … which no one will pay any attention to except other like-minded anonymous posters who will send you a rep point for your illuminatory revelation.

except i'm a cop in Socal area and i'm not vaccinated.

I'm still gainfully employed

Old 02-12-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Ok. That changes what about anything I wrote?

Old 02-12-2022, 12:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:

It's always people with agendas coming in here to argue with facts they don't like.

What is done about anti-vaccine cops in LA is simple: they get fired if they don't comply or leave voluntarily. City government might have deliberately delayed firings to prevent more of a shortage, but they are happening now and those employees are very unlikely to get back pay no matter how much they scream and cry and use/misuse the legal system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles