U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 PM
 
74 posts, read 216,042 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

I grew up in Miami and left there in 1998, I visted because my family is there. However, I've been to Los Angeles and other cities in California a few times. In my opinion both have nice beaches, food & entertainment. The people on the hand are not friendly at in Miami. A lot of them have attitude and for what ??? I don't know. Many misjudge me because of my complexion (light skin) with long hair. You would think people would grow the hell up and get over things like that but they don't.

Now someone told me along time ago I would fit in better in L.A. or New York. and they based this on my style of dress and the way I carry myself. No I'm not stuck-up,instead I'm more friendly and more on the shy quiet side than anything.

When I visited Los Angeles, I found it to be nice, I like the mountains, hills, and Lombard St. (the crooked street). But in Beverly Hills we did experience some racial prejudice maybe because we didn't have the $$$$$...LOL. The people I can't say too much about, but I mostly enjoyed Santa Monica, and just the tourism aspect of it.

Miami has changed it lacks its lustre of the old days. Right now South Beach is the hottest thing...to me it's not. But I love the water (beaches) and the weather. I can same the about L.A. too. Both cities have traffic.., and both have great shopping malls.

Crime is just that "crime" it's all over the world some places more than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Macao
16,002 posts, read 37,326,206 times
Reputation: 9629
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyred View Post
The people on the hand are not friendly at in Miami. A lot of them have attitude and for what ??? I don't know. Many misjudge me because of my complexion (light skin) with long hair.
Just curious, in what way do they misjudge you? Just trying to get a better sense of this. You can send me a private message if you don't want to post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2008, 10:18 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,158 posts, read 3,270,137 times
Reputation: 1085
Miami and LA are very different. Miami is basically in the tropics and definitely has that tropical feeling. LA's not really tropical, it's really more of a Mediterranean feel. I love both climates, as they both are beautiful in their own ways (although, I wish the water at our beaches was as clear and warm as South Florida!).

From my experiences living in LA and visiting Miami, the impression I get is that Miami has a much stronger Latino influence than LA. When I was in Miami, I seriously felt like I was in South America or the West Indies. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because it was kind of neat being able to visit a "different country" without a passport. I will say however, you truly are a minority if you don't speak Spanish. Even in the wealthiest areas like South Beach, it still seemed like Spanish was the primary language.

In LA, when you go to places like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Burbank, Pasadena, the South Bay, etc., the Latino influence decreases significantly. You don't feel like a minority speaking English in LA the way you do in Miami. LA definitely is more diverse as we have large populations of other non-Latino groups. Miami is mostly Latino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2008, 10:48 PM
 
Location: btw Bmore and DC but in the Bmore Metro Stat Area
663 posts, read 1,875,279 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Miami and LA are very different. Miami is basically in the tropics and definitely has that tropical feeling. LA's not really tropical, it's really more of a Mediterranean feel. I love both climates, as they both are beautiful in their own ways (although, I wish the water at our beaches was as clear and warm as South Florida!).

From my experiences living in LA and visiting Miami, the impression I get is that Miami has a much stronger Latino influence than LA. When I was in Miami, I seriously felt like I was in South America or the West Indies. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because it was kind of neat being able to visit a "different country" without a passport. I will say however, you truly are a minority if you don't speak Spanish. Even in the wealthiest areas like South Beach, it still seemed like Spanish was the primary language.

In LA, when you go to places like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Burbank, Pasadena, the South Bay, etc., the Latino influence decreases significantly. You don't feel like a minority speaking English in LA the way you do in Miami. LA definitely is more diverse as we have large populations of other non-Latino groups. Miami is mostly Latino.
my guess is the latinos are more diverse in Miami. ie cuban, colombian etcc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Windermere, FL
269 posts, read 818,797 times
Reputation: 172
After reading and commenting on this post I decided to take my wife to Miami next year...I haven't been there in about 4 years. Oh, btw...if you're in Miami take drive to Coral Gables...talk about a beautiful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 PM
 
74 posts, read 216,042 times
Reputation: 49
Default Los Angeles vs Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just curious, in what way do they misjudge you? Just trying to get a better sense of this. You can send me a private message if you don't want to post it.
From my experience of living in Florida is that the women are catty. They sum you up before getting to know you. They feel " I act better than them" in which I don't. But I admit I have an aire about myself that comes from somewhere I can't explain. I'm not phony, but I am genuine. I mostly keep to my self because I don't like to be around people that have attitude most of the time.
I am comfortable in my own skin and with my looks. I have not ever felt I was better than anyone. But that seems to be the way 'women feel' I have no problems with the men. I do have one good friend girl in Atlanta, and another in Dallas. I keep in touch with them both...I have four sisters whom on my last visit we have fallen out so I'm off again to move somewhere I feel I may blend and that's California. I'm basically just a down home southern lady with a southern personality. However I grew up in Miami. Some people think I'm latin, and once I get my spanish down pat I probably could pass for a latina...(just gidding)

My daughter says I'm predujice against our black people. I say no I just don't care for them because they ( not all) have not been nice to me over the years. So as I said before I'll give California a try...and after that if it doesn't work I'll move over seas. At the age (40+) I am now I just want peace in my life.
I want to work in a friendly environement without the snickering and gossip behind my back. These people don't now me, so instead of trying, they create lies to tell lies.

That's about it in a nutshell...I know other women are experiencing the same thing. So it's just the way of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Home of King Willie the not so great
4,189 posts, read 3,216,824 times
Reputation: 809
I have been to Miami several times and just visited LA for the first time. In Miami I truly felt like I was in a foreign land- I do not speak fluent Spanish and could not communicate with some people. However, in LA I did not have this problem. I saw a mixture of people and although there was a Latino influence I did not feel like an outsider. Both have nice climates and beaches-I was shocked to find it somewhat chilly in LA in the evening-however it was refreshing to escape this 90+ muggy climate here in Memphis. Miami is flatter than LA. There is a different breed of people in both places. IMO people in LA were friendlier. I met so many people and even networked on my visit-people spoke to me freely and were very kind. It was very nice. However, in LA I saw small pockets of arrogancy which did not bother me. Miami traffic is not as bad as LA but the drivers in LA seemed to be more laid back. I-95 and I-405 are comparable although I-405 was a bit more intimidating. Both regions have various choices of cuisine. The LA night life is by far more upbeat. LA has more of a big city feel. LA is more green, pedestrian friendly and in my opinion more health conscious-I have never seen so many people jogging, running, and biking in my life. Well thats my take. Me and mother absolutely loved LA and are waiting to visit again. And I still love Miami as well but I'm sorry Santa Monica is my fav beach now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Split,Croatia
312 posts, read 1,409,119 times
Reputation: 107
I love LA and hate Miami!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Windermere, FL
269 posts, read 818,797 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
I have been to Miami several times and just visited LA for the first time. In Miami I truly felt like I was in a foreign land- I do not speak fluent Spanish and could not communicate with some people. However, in LA I did not have this problem. I saw a mixture of people and although there was a Latino influence I did not feel like an outsider. Both have nice climates and beaches-I was shocked to find it somewhat chilly in LA in the evening-however it was refreshing to escape this 90+ muggy climate here in Memphis. Miami is flatter than LA. There is a different breed of people in both places. IMO people in LA were friendlier. I met so many people and even networked on my visit-people spoke to me freely and were very kind. It was very nice. However, in LA I saw small pockets of arrogancy which did not bother me. Miami traffic is not as bad as LA but the drivers in LA seemed to be more laid back. I-95 and I-405 are comparable although I-405 was a bit more intimidating. Both regions have various choices of cuisine. The LA night life is by far more upbeat. LA has more of a big city feel. LA is more green, pedestrian friendly and in my opinion more health conscious-I have never seen so many people jogging, running, and biking in my life. Well thats my take. Me and mother absolutely loved LA and are waiting to visit again. And I still love Miami as well but I'm sorry Santa Monica is my fav beach now
Santa Monica Beach isn't even safe to swim in. The City has been dumping poop in it for the last 12 years. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
 
Location: NYC
1,158 posts, read 3,270,137 times
Reputation: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
Santa Monica Beach isn't even safe to swim in. The City has been dumping poop in it for the last 12 years. LOL
I love visiting Santa Monica for the pier, the downtown area, and main street. It's absolutely one of my favorite places to go to. But I have to be honest - whenever I want to go for a swim in the ocean, I always find myself heading down to the South Bay or Orange County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top