U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:41 PM

18,041 posts, read 19,749,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Bah. All that stuff about the Valley. It depends on where you live in the Valley and what you're looking for in terms of lifestyle. And besides, the Valley isn't all that much different from other parts of LA, say perhaps the San Gabriel Valley. Hey folks, it's suburbia. You can hate suburbia from anywhere, or you can like it. None of these areas are better or worse than any other. There are nice houses and nice neighborhoods in all those areas, and there are seedy neighborhoods too. A nice house in Van Nuys is better than an average house in NR. A nice house in NR is better than an average house in VN. It all depends on which houses and which neighborhoods and what you want and what you like.

All this "my neighborhood is better than your neighborhood" stuff is just hogwash. It's the San Fernando Valley. If you like suburbia you'll like it. If you hate suburbia you'll hate it.

And what's about all this "snob appeal" and "envy?" That's very immature to think that way. What the heck do you care about where other people live and what's the point in envying them? And what's your need to live in an area with "snob appeal?" Why do you give a **** what appeals to the snobs? If you're going to play catching up to the Joneses in Los Angeles you've got one hell of a lot of catching up to do. Do bring along $10M-$20M if you really want to catch up. Otherwise you'll never win the "snob appeal" and "envy" game.

Me? I live in a modest and affordable part of Northridge. The Northridge address does carry with it a slight increase in property valuation, but I've always felt that it was minor (perhaps 5%) and that my neighborhood was only slightly nicer than adjacent Reseda and Van Nuys neighborhoods. And I don't care.

If you really want envy and snob appeal, get a place in Holmby Hills or Malibu. Then even the snobs might envy you.

I think that point is that it "matters" to the OP so we are just providing our opinion. The OPs question is no better or worse or immature than someone asking is Compton an ok area or is Culver City a "posh" area to live in. Some people come to LA specifically to live the "90210 Life" and they want a little help with which areas are characterized in what ever way they are.

Its the same as someone wanting to move to NYC to live the Manhattan "glamourous" lifestyle and ending up in Staten Island - they simply want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 01:45 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,134,194 times
Then perhaps you can tell me which is the best area of Compton to live in? I want to be the envy of all those snobs in Northridge.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,546,119 times
exactly LH! its gotta be reallllllllll nice or reputable, maybe even historic like Carroll ave. otherwise its just another part of the valley. another part of the city. and honestly most people dont know and dont care. people who do are pretty shallow.

I Love my slice of heaven but others might turn their nose up at it. when they come visit they are pleasantly suprised.

if your happy, then frak what others gotta say about where you live. live where you feel happy.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 PM

5,013 posts, read 8,033,810 times
Quote:
Bah. All that stuff about the Valley. It depends on where you live in the Valley and what you're looking for in terms of lifestyle. And besides, the Valley isn't all that much different from other parts of LA, say perhaps the San Gabriel Valley. Hey folks, it's suburbia. You can hate suburbia from anywhere, or you can like it. None of these areas are better or worse than any other. There are nice houses and nice neighborhoods in all those areas, and there are seedy neighborhoods too. A nice house in Van Nuys is better than an average house in NR. A nice house in NR is better than an average house in VN. It all depends on which houses and which neighborhoods and what you want and what you like.

All this "my neighborhood is better than your neighborhood" stuff is just hogwash. It's the San Fernando Valley. If you like suburbia you'll like it. If you hate suburbia you'll hate it.

And what's about all this "snob appeal" and "envy?" That's very immature to think that way. What the heck do you care about where other people live and what's the point in envying them? And what's your need to live in an area with "snob appeal?" Why do you give a **** what appeals to the snobs? If you're going to play catching up to the Joneses in Los Angeles you've got one hell of a lot of catching up to do. Do bring along $10M-$20M if you really want to catch up. Otherwise you'll never win the "snob appeal" and "envy" game.

Me? I live in a modest and affordable part of Northridge. The Northridge address does carry with it a slight increase in property valuation, but I've always felt that it was minor (perhaps 5%) and that my neighborhood was only slightly nicer than adjacent Reseda and Van Nuys neighborhoods. And I don't care.

If you really want envy and snob appeal, get a place in Holmby Hills or Malibu. Then even the snobs might envy you.
I can't give you any more rep right now, Lovehound, but I wanted to say - this is an excellent post. Right on.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:02 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,876,583 times
Quote:
Then perhaps you can tell me which is the best area of Compton to live in? I want to be the envy of all those snobs in Northridge.
that depends. do you want horse property?

Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,546,119 times
thats right there is horse property in the CPT. but i think i would rather a lot with its own hangar. as close to the airport as possible

Old 05-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
exactly LH! its gotta be reallllllllll nice or reputable, maybe even historic like Carroll ave. otherwise its just another part of the valley. another part of the city.
Exactly. Otherwise, suburbia is suburbia is suburbia. I defy any non-resident to drive around the Valley and spot the borders between the different "cities." They aren't cities at all. They're zipcodes. I just noticed a sign today, "Lake Balboa." (Vicinity of Vanowen and White Oak.) The signs have probably been there a few or several years. Who is BSing who? That's Van freakin' Nuys! "Oh no, we're not in Van Nuys. We're in the upscale community of Lake Balboa. We even have our own lake!!!" Yeah, right, a lake filled with reclaimed water too filthy to drink or swim in. I'm amazed that people fish there and eat the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I can't give you any more rep right now, Lovehound, but I wanted to say - this is an excellent post. Right on.
Thanks Cricket and I appreciate that. There's plenty of people I can't rep anymore too. It's very nice to know I'm on your favorites list. Really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
that depends. do you want horse property?
Actually for my Compton house I have beachfront property in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thats right there is horse property in the CPT. but i think i would rather a lot with its own hangar. as close to the airport as possible
We should discuss a trade. I live so close to VNY I can walk to the airshows. Heck, I can sit on my roof and use binoculars. Lucky thing I'm a pilot (not presently active) or I'd really hate all the aircraft flying overhead.

You're in Malibu, right? I always wanted to live in Malibu. You know, be the envy of all those snobs?

Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 PM

18,041 posts, read 19,749,074 times
To answer the OP's original question...there is simply nothing special about Northridge.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,734,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
To answer the OP's original question...there is simply nothing special about Northridge.
Northridge has quite a history of ranches owned by big time Hollywood stars. Porter Ranch and Devonshire Downs are well know places to natives of the San Fernando Valley.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:31 PM

Wow! THAT was a long time ago. Almost all the farms are gone, all the open space gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles