U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:59 PM

421 posts, read 2,896,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
And what's about all this "snob appeal" and "envy?" That's very immature to think that way. What the heck do you care about where other people live and what's the point in envying them? And what's your need to live in an area with "snob appeal?" Why do you give a **** what appeals to the snobs? If you're going to play catching up to the Joneses in Los Angeles you've got one hell of a lot of catching up to do. Do bring along $10M-$20M if you really want to catch up. Otherwise you'll never win the "snob appeal" and "envy" game.
HEY! HEY! draw those fangs back in! to use your own words.."what the heck do you care" what I want?? What happened to the it takes all types attitude??

It so happens that I don't care what anyone else thinks of where I live since I am the one paying the mortgage but believe it or not I think there is a direct correlation between beautiful homes and homes with snob appeal and if wanting to live in a beautiful home on a street with other beautiful homes is immature, then I am extremely immature.

My reason for the post is that I want to understand why Northridge homes are more expensive than Woodland Hills when WH looks nicer to me when I drive around. S.O costs more than Northridge and WH so I assumed it was a better place because its closer to downtown or has more shops or something.

It took me a few weeks before I went south of the blvd for the first time (since I assumed it was all BS) but its not!! South of the Blvd in Woodland Hills looks really different than north of the blvd! It actually looks a lot more like Northern Cal than the rest of W.H. The streets are narrower and curvy and there are tons more trees..so now I get why the homes cost 50-100k more than 5 miles to the north. I'd definitely pay more to live South of the Blvd if I could!

I've lived in N.Cal for the past 30 years and the house prices got lower as you went farther away from the city, but here its different. Calabasas is more than W.H but its farther away from downtown. I still haven't figured out why.

Thanks everyone for the great answers (including the snappy Lovehound)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:15 PM

14,529 posts, read 16,156,269 times
I'm glad you're going SOB on us Panks. And there's no reason to feel bad about pride of ownership. Do your own thing and do it good, and don't worry what the Joneses are doing.

Snappily yours,
Lovehound/Greg

Old 05-17-2008, 09:45 AM

637 posts, read 2,983,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
No, nobody is going to envy you living in Northridge unless they live in Panorama City.

LOL..........

Old 05-22-2008, 01:58 AM

64 posts, read 283,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
HEY! HEY! draw those fangs back in! to use your own words.."what the heck do you care" what I want?? What happened to the it takes all types attitude??

It so happens that I don't care what anyone else thinks of where I live since I am the one paying the mortgage but believe it or not I think there is a direct correlation between beautiful homes and homes with snob appeal and if wanting to live in a beautiful home on a street with other beautiful homes is immature, then I am extremely immature.

My reason for the post is that I want to understand why Northridge homes are more expensive than Woodland Hills when WH looks nicer to me when I drive around. S.O costs more than Northridge and WH so I assumed it was a better place because its closer to downtown or has more shops or something.

It took me a few weeks before I went south of the blvd for the first time (since I assumed it was all BS) but its not!! South of the Blvd in Woodland Hills looks really different than north of the blvd! It actually looks a lot more like Northern Cal than the rest of W.H. The streets are narrower and curvy and there are tons more trees..so now I get why the homes cost 50-100k more than 5 miles to the north. I'd definitely pay more to live South of the Blvd if I could!

I've lived in N.Cal for the past 30 years and the house prices got lower as you went farther away from the city, but here its different. Calabasas is more than W.H but its farther away from downtown. I still haven't figured out why.

Thanks everyone for the great answers (including the snappy Lovehound)

I tend to think Woodland HIlls has more snob appeal than Northridge.

But again, in the Valley, the city names aren't always the best way to gauge a neighborhood. Unless you're talking Pacoima/Sun Valley gang territories.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:51 PM

105 posts, read 248,814 times
I'm sorry but I disagree with many of the other posters on here who believe cities like Northridge and Granada Hills are nice places to live. There are very few cities left in the san fernando valley that are "nice" anymore. Only Encino, Woodland Hills, Chatsworth, Calabasas, and any communities up against the hills are nice. And of course going farther north up the 101 fwy, everything up there is nice (Simi Valley, Westlake Village, etc.). When deciding on which city to live in here, you must look 10, 15, 20 years into the future, for the bad areas continuously move outward, and more and more cities will become like Reseda. Avoid Sherman Oaks and Northridge completely because of this, as they will be like Van Nuys in 15 years. Go farther east, like to Calabasas or even as far as Oak Park. Those places are too far out to be touched by the spread of the bad areas.

Last edited by jayolm; 06-03-2008 at 12:11 AM..

Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 AM

22,705 posts, read 28,372,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayolm View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree with many of the other posters on here who believe cities like Northridge and Granada Hills are nice places to live. There are very few cities left in the san fernando valley that are "nice" anymore. Only Encino, Woodland Hills, Chatsworth, Calabasas, and any communities up against the hills are nice. And of course going farther north up the 101 fwy, everything up there is nice (Simi Valley, Westlake Village, etc.). When deciding on which city to live in here, you must look 10, 15, 20 years into the future, for the bad areas continuously move outward, and more and more cities will become like Reseda. Avoid Sherman Oaks and Northridge completely because of this, as they will be like Van Nuys in 15 years. Go farther east, like to Calabasas or even as far as Oak Park. Those places are too far out to be touched by the spread of the bad areas.
I disagree; there are many nice neighborhoods and areas in Northridge and Porter Ranch. Most of the homes are expensive which keeps out the "riff-raff."

Old 06-03-2008, 01:51 AM

421 posts, read 2,896,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayolm View Post
Thanks for the pics Fleet

Thanks for the post jayolm...you brought up stuff I hadn't considered. I wish I could live in Calabasas but there is no way I can afford it

Since I am very new to S.Cal, I can't really judge but have you already seen a decline in Sherman Oaks in the past 5+ years? I'm supposed to go look at a house in S.O this week thats tiny and needs work but I kept hearing about how nice S.O is blah blah....

My realtor took me to a house in Valley Glen this weekend then drove me around the neighborhood, then he stopped the car right next to 3 homeless guys sitting next to each other and said "well,what do you think of the neighborhood?" when I pointed out the homeless guys he said they were 3 blocks away from the house for sale ....

BTW, I thought Chatsworth had a bad reputation from reading the posts on this forum...is that true?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:48 AM

22,705 posts, read 28,372,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Thanks for the pics Fleet
My pleasure.

Quote:
BTW, I thought Chatsworth had a bad reputation from reading the posts on this forum...is that true?
Yes and no. North of Devonshire St. is a better area than south of Devonshire. There are some very expensive (and safe) areas of Chatsworth, like Monteria Estates (in the far northern end of Winnetka Ave.) and Indian Hills (west of Topanga Canyon Blvd, off Santa Susana Pass Road.

Some parts of Chatsworth are zoned for horses and I've seen quite a few homes with horses in the back yard.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 AM

6,334 posts, read 15,794,318 times
I live in Sherman Oaks, and while the quality of people in the apartment buildings has deteriorated (mostly due to Section 8) in the past few years, the surrounding houses are still pretty nice. I have seen homeless people hanging out near the Rite-Aid on Riverside and Fulton, but unfortunately, you're probably going to encounter homeless people in many different areas these days.

Stay away from apartments on Moorpark, Dickens, and Willis. These streets were hard hit in the Northridge earthquake in '94. Scientist theorize now that it's because the old L.A. riverbed runs along that route, and the area is more subject to liquefaction.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:09 PM

422 posts, read 1,652,725 times
No snob appeal for Northridge, IMHO ... or Sherman Oaks for that matter. Maybe THOUSAND Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles