Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:46 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
lol. Anyone here get "oohs and aahs" when the state where they live?
People may not outwardly say "oohs or aahs" but I do think there is a certain brand associated with where you live and most of us don't want to live in a place perceived as a "ghetto". I know when I first told people that I had finally located a house in Pasadena (due to my relocation) they would routinely say "nice area". Would I have gotten this if I said Panarama City or Inglewood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The San Fernando Valley is a just that....a valley. There is a large expanse of flat land that lies in between the hills/mountains. When the middle class Whites who inhabited those areas in the 40s - 80s/90s moved into Ventura County and beyond, Latinos (not quite 90%...yet) moved into those areas. The Valley has been a victim of the White flight vacuum scenario. Certain residents in more affluent parts of the SFV simply are in denial that the Valley has become or will become like areas such as Compton, Pacoima, Sunland, etc. SFV residents who don't believe this haven't spent any time driving through Tujunga or Panorama City...these areas already resemble Tijuana.
Hopefully, no one is suggesting that more Latinos means the area automatically goes down hill. The issue is really more about the increase in criminal element, regardless of race, that is making its way to previously nice, safe areas in SFV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 05:52 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
For the record the average income of Northridge residents is $65,161. For comparison, the average for Encino is $69,636 and Beverly Hills, $91,235.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
People may not outwardly say "oohs or aahs" but I do think there is a certain brand associated with where you live and most of us don't want to live in a place perceived as a "ghetto". I know when I first told people that I had finally located a house in Pasadena (due to my relocation) they would routinely say "nice area". Would I have gotten this if I said Panarama City or Inglewood?
uh...no.

I have to admit...I used to live in a certain area of the Valley that was considered middle class when I moved in. As the area declined I started getting a negative reaction when I told people where I lived. One friend was actually afraid to visit me! That was very shocking. I moved to Sherman Oaks.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 PM

64 posts, read 312,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
uh...no.

I have to admit...I used to live in a certain area of the Valley that was considered middle class when I moved in. As the area declined I started getting a negative reaction when I told people where I lived. One friend was actually afraid to visit me! That was very shocking. I moved to Sherman Oaks.
People are afraid to visit you in Sherman Oaks????

Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM

I drove a friend, who lives in Sunland, around my neighborhood and nearby neighborhoods.

He was impressed with the area in general and with the size of some of the houses.

It was obvious to him that the northern part of Northridge and Porter Ranch was a very nice area and a more desirable area than where he lives.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:52 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrala View Post
People are afraid to visit you in Sherman Oaks????
No no. Friends were expressing fear regarding my pre-Sherman Oaks neighborhood, Van Nuys.

LA neighborhoods each have a 'rep'.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
When I think of areas with snob appeal, I don't think of Northridge.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM

108 posts, read 290,687 times
Default Response to your response

Hi again Panks.

To answer your previous questions, Chatsworth, overall, is a very, very nice city.

In regards to Sherman Oaks, if I were you I would completely avoid it. Unless you don't plan on living there for too long, say 10 years or less. Then it'll probably be ok. But again, it will get worse as time goes on. Those homeless guys you saw in Valley Glen when looking at a property are an example of what I was mentioning in my last post about the bad areas spreading outwards into cities that were once very nice, like Sherman Oaks, central Northridge, etc. I know living west of the valley is expensive, like in Calabasas, so perhaps try living east of the valley? Toluca Lake is nice, some parts of Burbank are ok. Unless you can afford to live in Chatsworth or Woodland Hills, or some nice valley city like that.

If you are planning on buying a home or condo in the valley, be careful where you choose, and look 10-15 years forward. Are there bad areas bordering the area you're going to buy in? If so, then forget it. If you are just renting, then not so much of a worry for you, as its not your property that might go downhill in the future!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:18 AM

64 posts, read 312,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayolm View Post
Hi again Panks.

To answer your previous questions, Chatsworth, overall, is a very, very nice city.

In regards to Sherman Oaks, if I were you I would completely avoid it. Unless you don't plan on living there for too long, say 10 years or less. Then it'll probably be ok. But again, it will get worse as time goes on. Those homeless guys you saw in Valley Glen when looking at a property are an example of what I was mentioning in my last post about the bad areas spreading outwards into cities that were once very nice, like Sherman Oaks, central Northridge, etc. I know living west of the valley is expensive, like in Calabasas, so perhaps try living east of the valley? Toluca Lake is nice, some parts of Burbank are ok. Unless you can afford to live in Chatsworth or Woodland Hills, or some nice valley city like that.

If you are planning on buying a home or condo in the valley, be careful where you choose, and look 10-15 years forward. Are there bad areas bordering the area you're going to buy in? If so, then forget it. If you are just renting, then not so much of a worry for you, as its not your property that might go downhill in the future!
Sometimes trying to determine a neighborhood's quality 10 years out is hard to gauge. Example: Valley neighborhoods with easy close access to public transit. 5 years ago, no one would even consider this an issue....but with gas approaching $5 a gallon and 5 years from now...$10/gal, most people will either have to move close to where they work or use mass transit to commute. So, neighborhoods that are affordable, clean, middle class, 1 mile or less to a subway or rail or express busroute, with convenient local shopping and recreation areas will probably be excellent investments, even though, right now they don't have "snob appeal."

Old 06-21-2008, 12:22 AM

It would be accurate to say that Northridge used to have a lot of snob appeal.
Back in the 1930s and 1940s, the "in" thing to do for celebrities was to buy a ranch in Northridge.
During the late-1930s to the 1950s, celebs such as Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck, Marion (Mrs. Zeppo) Marx, Richard Arlen, Robert Taylor, and Jack Oakie all owned homes on ranches in Northridge.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz owned a ranch near the corner of Corbin Ave and Devonshire St, right on the border of Northridge and Chatsworth up until 1955 when they moved to Beverly Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles