U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 PM

421 posts, read 2,895,062 times

Advertisements

I am pretty new to LA, but for some reason I had a slightly negative view of Northridge for no specific reason that I can even pinpoint. Then I looked at some of the house prices in Northridge!!!!! There are some very expensive homes out there.

Just wondering if Northridge has the same snob appeal as Sherman Oaks? or is it considered just OK...deep-suburbia?

Where are the nicest parts?

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 AM

9 posts, read 30,625 times
Default Nope

SNop appeal? Meaning you want to be a snob or are there snobby people ijn NR...There are some very nice places in Northridge...but not of the caliber of Westlake Village or North Ranch. Not sure what you are looking for?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 AM

421 posts, read 2,895,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzipityduda View Post
SNop appeal? Meaning you want to be a snob or are there snobby people ijn NR...There are some very nice places in Northridge...but not of the caliber of Westlake Village or North Ranch. Not sure what you are looking for?
Love your screen name by the way! By snob appeal I meant a place that sounds classy.ie Beverly Hills vs Reseda. If you said you lived in Northridge would people say ooooooh! or Oh! Would they pity you or envy you?

From your answer it sounds like westlake village and North Ranch have a better reputation. Can you tell me why..is it the schools or shops or something else?

Old 05-16-2008, 03:32 AM

22,694 posts, read 28,356,313 times
The northern part of Northridge is the more desired (and more expensive).

I've lived here for 41 of my 46 years and don't really consider it snobbish because many families are middle-class. Porter Ranch, to the north, is an even more expensive area.

Here are a few pics of Northridge, north of Devonshire St.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:32 AM

14,527 posts, read 16,134,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I am pretty new to LA, but for some reason I had a slightly negative view of Northridge for no specific reason that I can even pinpoint. Then I looked at some of the house prices in Northridge!!!!! There are some very expensive homes out there.

Just wondering if Northridge has the same snob appeal as Sherman Oaks? or is it considered just OK...deep-suburbia?

Where are the nicest parts?

Thanks everyone
I've lived in Northridge for 30 years, in a less expensive part (southeast). My area resembles nearby Van Nuys and Reseda with most of the homes built in the early '50s. The homes in my area are perhaps $400K-$500K. My area is sub-appeal relative to the nicer parts of Sherman Oaks, but there are lesser parts of Sherman Oaks that are below my area. The part of Sherman Oaks referred to as SOB (south of the boulevard, that being Ventura Bl.) is the most expensive part, comparable to the northern part of Northridge bordering Porter Ranch. I think it's an opinion call which has more appeal, the two being about equal. Porter Ranch is practically part of Northridge (call it upper NR) which has more appeal because it's in the hills. In Los Angeles, houses on the hills with views over the valley are RB areas (rich biatch) and are generally the most expensive.

When you get right down to it NR and SO are about the same depending on which parts of each you compare. All of the Valley is "deep suburbia" and perhaps all of Los Angeles except downtown. I don't know that you'll like any place in LA if you don't like suburbia, with the possible exception of the pricey hillside view homes, which are uber $$$$$$$$$.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM

18,041 posts, read 19,749,074 times
When someone says that they live in Northridge they are saying that the live in an average(maybe very slightly above average) area. You are not going to get oohs and aahs and envious stares.

If you want to be in an area of the Valley with more snob appeal I would say: the Hollywood Hills on the Valley side, areas South of Ventura Blvd, Calabasas, West Hills, Westlake Village, maybe Studio City.

There are still some nice parts of the Valley but it just ain't what it used to be.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,561,085 times
No, nobody is going to envy you living in Northridge unless they live in Panorama City.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,546,119 times
envy living in the valley? i dont know too many people who will ooh and ahhh over any part of the valley. Beverly hills, a new loft in DT, Mt wash, San Marino maybe, but honestly people kinda lump the valley into one big chunk. Saying northridge to most of us Down here is like saying... hum cant think of another nameplace in the valley. I never knew that Sherm oaks was supposed to be ritzy either.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,536,680 times
I think the only areas of the valley that have any kind of snobby stigma attached to them are probably Studio City, Encino and Calabasas. Anywhere else in the valley is consideried a nice place to live (Woodland Hills, Northridge, Burbank, etc.) or completely undesirable (Van Nuys, Panorama City, San Fernando, etc.).

Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,134,194 times
Bah. All that stuff about the Valley. It depends on where you live in the Valley and what you're looking for in terms of lifestyle. And besides, the Valley isn't all that much different from other parts of LA, say perhaps the San Gabriel Valley. Hey folks, it's suburbia. You can hate suburbia from anywhere, or you can like it. None of these areas are better or worse than any other. There are nice houses and nice neighborhoods in all those areas, and there are seedy neighborhoods too. A nice house in Van Nuys is better than an average house in NR. A nice house in NR is better than an average house in VN. It all depends on which houses and which neighborhoods and what you want and what you like.

All this "my neighborhood is better than your neighborhood" stuff is just hogwash. It's the San Fernando Valley. If you like suburbia you'll like it. If you hate suburbia you'll hate it.

And what's about all this "snob appeal" and "envy?" That's very immature to think that way. What the heck do you care about where other people live and what's the point in envying them? And what's your need to live in an area with "snob appeal?" Why do you give a **** what appeals to the snobs? If you're going to play catching up to the Joneses in Los Angeles you've got one hell of a lot of catching up to do. Do bring along $10M-$20M if you really want to catch up. Otherwise you'll never win the "snob appeal" and "envy" game.

Me? I live in a modest and affordable part of Northridge. The Northridge address does carry with it a slight increase in property valuation, but I've always felt that it was minor (perhaps 5%) and that my neighborhood was only slightly nicer than adjacent Reseda and Van Nuys neighborhoods. And I don't care.

If you really want envy and snob appeal, get a place in Holmby Hills or Malibu. Then even the snobs might envy you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles