U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 06:48 AM

27 posts, read 110,370 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I would like everyone's opinions on which of these cities are the best and why you feel they are, whether you have lived, worked or have family or friends there please let me know all comments and opinions are appreciated.

Thank you,
TR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 AM

199 posts, read 653,641 times
Lived in Lancaster, which runs right into Palmdale. The east side and central part of Palmdale is bad. Actually, the whole Antelope Valley is getting bad except for certain areas, like the white fence area which is west of 10th street west. Quartz Hill still has some nice areas, but I left there 5 years ago after living there for 8 years, because of a lot of Section 8 housing. Welfare dollars go further in the AV and so you get a lot of gangs, people with time to get into trouble. Pomona is yuck, lots of gangs. Big meth problems there too. It used to be a nice, quiet area, the commute "down below" (which means heading south toward the SFV and LA) is a ***** unless you take the metro. Plan on spending at least 3-5 hours a day commuting and figure the gas. I liked it when I first moved up there, but now, you could not pay me to live there. Got tired of all the issues in SoCal and moved to western rural PA. Love it here.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 AM

14,531 posts, read 16,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tianarose View Post
I would like everyone's opinions on which of these cities are the best and why you feel they are, whether you have lived, worked or have family or friends there please let me know all comments and opinions are appreciated.
Pomona!!!

Practically anything in LA is better than Palmdale or Lancaster, our "out in the sticks" cheapo desert communities. They are at least an hour commute (one way) from most jobs, but do feature affordable housing. Some say the schools and gangs are a problem.

Pomona is in one of our inland valleys, our suburbia, and most of these areas are more or less the same, houses ranging from affordable to pricey depending on location, location, location. You have a better chance in Pomona of living near your work or working near your home. Commuting in LA is a biatch and I urge you to consider the traffic when selecting a place to live.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 AM

18,041 posts, read 19,764,750 times
Palmdale is the "Ghetto/Barrio" in the desert.

Kids run wild in the streets because their parents don't get home until 7 or 8pm due to the rough/long/congested commute.

Palmdale is no bargain. If you see the words "affordable housing" to advertise any community in SoCal....run! It means that you will be living with many undesirables in your neighborhood.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:22 PM

27 posts, read 110,370 times
Default Awesome

Thank you Calipoppy, lovehound, and mcorrales! Ok on to the next cities on my list I really appreciate it.

Thank you kindly

TR

Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,551,491 times
both are kinda far from the city center but if i had to choose i would say pomona.

i was there recently visiting an old friend who bought a house out there in 200o i think. they love it. they totally changed my perspective of the area.

dont know if i would live there because i like being close to the city, but if i had to choose i would opt for pomona.

it apparently has an older district, and arts district, a main street. amongst other +'s my friend went on and on about.

one down side, both are very hot!!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 PM

162 posts, read 526,051 times
Well Pomona is hardly a great place but I'd pick it over Palmdale without question. As posted in your thread about Pomona, there are a couple of decent areas in Pomona. Palmdale is everything others have said here, and truly I would stay away if I were you.

tianarose, you seem to be checking out places all over So Cal -- good luck!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:13 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,813,520 times
If you are trying the Pomona area, please allowme to suggest a nicer very nearby community that is somewhat closer to LA: West Covina. I lived there while going to Cal Poly and had no issues. (female alone) It is a very family oriented community designed for the middle class and is developing constantly to provide more jobs and entertainment in the area.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:03 AM

637 posts, read 2,983,444 times
[quote=tianarose;3781132]Hello everyone,

Thank you,
TR[/quote]

The bottom line here is that both of these places are H-holes where no civilized person would want to live. I think that after reading these post's above you can probably come to the same conclusion. You should also realize that most of the areas in CA that are "affordable" should be looked at with caution as they will likely be similar to these..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles