U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 PM

81 posts, read 311,958 times

Advertisements

Well, I don't know about that many skinheads in LA or the surrounding area but I have heard of many instances of white kids being harassed by black and latin students. Last I checked, white was the minority here in LA. I am white and if I posted something like "should I expose my white kids to a particular area that is predominantly black because I fear their safety" I would be called a racist, ignorant cracker. Sorry, but that is true, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:26 PM

236 posts, read 1,061,690 times
I've lived in La Mirada for the last 4 years, and we love it. We're white with two toddler girls. Our neighbors across the street are black and neighbors two doors down are black. I agree there aren't as many black people in our city as in other cities, but I can honestly say I've never heard of "skinheads" around here.

People on our street all seem to get along really well. You mentioned kids not out on the street... you haven't been to our street!! We live on a nice cul-de-sac near Gardenhill park and there are always kids out riding their bikes, playing basketball, etc. My kids are not school aged yet, so I can't tell you about the schools, but as a community, you can't beat it here!

In fact, CNN's Money Magazine ranked La Mirada as the 34th best city to live in the whole country!! I think our city government spends out tax dollars very well, they keep a balanced budget, they keep the streets and landscaping well maintained, etc. Some of our shopping centers could use a little facelift, but it's my understanding that there are efforts in the works to get this done.

My only complaint about our city is that we could use more restaurants... but La Habra, Fullerton, and Brea are only a short drive away, and have anything you're craving.

All in all, I'm happy that we are here. Yes, our homes are mostly track homes built in the late 1950s, but that's just the way it is.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM

32 posts, read 114,719 times
Thanks for all that replied,negative and postive.I am soo sorry for just getting back to say thanks.well we have decided on Irivine.we were able to get a good deal and the schools seems great.wish me luck because I know we will need it(LOL) I guess I will be a stepford wife now because I seem to get that vibe out there.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 PM

419 posts, read 1,318,301 times
Irvine's great. Congrats on your decision. Enjoy it.

ps stay in touch with the Irvine housing community at Irvine Housing Blog. It's an outstanding site.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM

32 posts, read 114,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
Irvine's great. Congrats on your decision. Enjoy it.

ps stay in touch with the Irvine housing community at Irvine Housing Blog. It's an outstanding site.
Thank-you. Yes I just found this site last night. I will let you guys know how we are doing in a couple of months.We have to wait for school to start to really see how it is out there.We hung out there this weekend and the people there seem to be okay very friendly(sometimes too friendly) we visited the new outside shopping mall forgot the name) There were quite a few black there more than I expected(LOL) If people are not nice then I willl be on the board looking for somewhere else to go. I have found this site to be VERY helpful and HONEST.Thank you guys sooo much.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:41 PM

81 posts, read 328,839 times
The names Irvine Spectrum

Old 09-01-2017, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 500 times
To be honest crine rate slowly going up gangs are around not to big of an issue though. Alot of tweekers and thats the main cause for the crime rate to go up. As far as skinheads theres none. Noce little town nothing really to do. Oh and some of the cops have a chip on their shoulder and like to harass the citizens.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:52 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,751,014 times
Gangs in La Mirada were more in the '70s and '80s than today, skins more in the '80s than today.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:59 PM

359 posts, read 425,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Not to be a negative Nelly or anything but if you are an African American family, I would think very long and hard about deciding to move into "some" parts of OC. I have personal knowledge of some very disgusting racist incidents against Blacks by their neighbors in Northern OC...specifically parts of the following areas: Cypress, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Brea, La Habra, Stanton, Buena Park, Westminster, Garden Grove, Fullerton.

I would not expose my children to the type of trauma that they may encounter especially when there are more open-minded areas which are just as nice if not nicer than these parts of OC.
And where are the lies, this so true. Especially in Santa Ana

Old 09-03-2017, 08:04 PM

2,080 posts, read 2,723,485 times
9 year old post. The OP either choose another location or has been living there for a decade and can make up their own mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles