U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:35 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,134,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
as for the dumpster divers. i have no problem with them. id rather they do that than sit idly by pan handling, or robbing. besides most of the trash diggers bypass my street because they know that most people on my street recycle.
I suspect that it's not unusual for trash divers to make several hundred dollars per week, not bad considering there are no income taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i would also like to add that i make the kids recycle. my father made me, and now i make them. they get to keep the earnings. it think it instills a good work ethic in the kids. they dont get an allowance by the way. they need to work for what i give them.
Well that's good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,947 times
Default recycle in L.A.

Where in L.A. can I get money for recyclables?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:09 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,134,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpratts View Post
Where in L.A. can I get money for recyclables?
Go to your local supermarket and ask them. If not suitable or not cooperative, try a different market.

I'm getting 10 cents for every wine bottle now. I recycle them 1-2 times a month.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,153 times
Default recycle glass west la

Hey there! I live in West Los Angeles. I wonder if there is a place to recycle glass close to me? I have a ton of old wine bottles! Can you give me the address of the place in Glendale that you take your glass to that will pay in cash? thanks!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,515 times
Maybe the "responsible" woman shouldn't have popped out four anchor babies if she has to steal from the city to support them. Oh wait - WE are the ones paying the taxes, so it's okay. And her children are ages 16-25? They can ALL be working. And a husband - you kidding me? They pay well over 2 grand for rent in Pasadena? She doesn't know what else to do? Awww...how about going back to Mexico and stop leaching off of us? Or at least apply to live here LEGALLY. After returning to Mexico, still. Too bad about her cutting her hand, btw. But it's a good thing we were there to pay for that, too!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 PM

16,250 posts, read 27,797,563 times
Good for those that are taking from the cities in which they live in. I didn't realize that people steal from the recycle containers in front of homes. But that is not what I wanted to talk about. Then again maybe the reason I don't see it happening is that we changed how we consume. I don't drink adult beverages so no beer, wine, or other alcohol bottles to turn in. The only time we have soda in the house is during a birthday party or some other fun event. We used to buy lots of bottled water but the cost was getting to me and I found that it was cheaper to buy a filter. Besides that we would take those back in ourselves. For us the best way to put money on the table was to change how we spent it in the first place.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 AM

63 posts, read 244,320 times
I've got bags and bags full of cans, bottles and glass. 2 of us have been saving all CRV items for the last 15 months!!

I know that CRV is going to pay way better than weight. Although I think doing it by weight is a much faster process. Right?

I'd imagine that it could possibly take HOURS to do it with CRV? How quickly do those machines work? How do they actually work? Do you scan the bar code on each item or something?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP001 View Post
I've got bags and bags full of cans, bottles and glass. 2 of us have been saving all CRV items for the last 15 months!!

I know that CRV is going to pay way better than weight. Although I think doing it by weight is a much faster process. Right?

I'd imagine that it could possibly take HOURS to do it with CRV? How quickly do those machines work? How do they actually work? Do you scan the bar code on each item or something?
Not sure how a machine works. In my area they have a roll off near the Food4Less. The men that work there have you sort your containers if not done so allready, and pay depending on what you have. Also if it isn't a CRV container they kick it out. Has to say California on it, or CA return Value, or CRV, or CA CASH REFUND, or something that shows that it was bought in California. I say that because some people have started enterprising businesses where they load up trucks in other states and bring in the recycling to California. The state doesn't go for it though. Also at the location we used to go to they don't give out money. What they give you is a reciept that you can take into the Food4Less and it is redeamed by them. You can use it to buy more bottles if you choose or just cash it out.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 PM

63 posts, read 244,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not sure how a machine works. In my area they have a roll off near the Food4Less. The men that work there have you sort your containers if not done so allready, and pay depending on what you have. Also if it isn't a CRV container they kick it out. Has to say California on it, or CA return Value, or CRV, or CA CASH REFUND, or something that shows that it was bought in California. I say that because some people have started enterprising businesses where they load up trucks in other states and bring in the recycling to California. The state doesn't go for it though. Also at the location we used to go to they don't give out money. What they give you is a reciept that you can take into the Food4Less and it is redeamed by them. You can use it to buy more bottles if you choose or just cash it out.
Yeah the ones outside my local Ralphs and the Vons locations look to be automated. You slip your bottle into the hole and it credits you.

I have never actually used them. Only checked out the machine after they were closed. I always see huge lines in the day as there is only 1-2 automated machines available.

I mainly wondering how long it takes to recycle a large load (a full pick-up truck bed) with this method. Anyone have an idea?

It seems like it would be a nightmare waiting in line for who knows how long and then all the time it takes to redeem the bottles.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about???

Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 AM

If I had a pickup truck full I would head over to the metal recycler and forget the supermarket drop off places. So much more efficient. They pay the same anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles