Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,852 times

Advertisements

Nextdoor - be still my heart...."NOT" Nextdoor is simply a breeding ground for bullies unfortunately. They have a section for crime (why I don't know now) but if you describe a perpetrator like mentioning he is Hispanic, White, Black you are called a racist. I was bullied and the young men doing it to me were able to stay on and my use was scaled back. I could READ but not post anymore. I deactivated my account finally.

Our community is very diverse which I love but facts are facts....When you call in a robbery and you saw the perpetrators what is the first thing Law Enforcement asks you? They want a description.

I went online to find anything out about Nextdoor that I could. The CEO was involved in a hit n run in San Francisco last year. A woman was hurt and he left the scene. Now, anyone can go online and find info about Nextdoor and most all people complain about cyberbullying. Nope, not a good place and they are ALL about how many members to get and $$$$ which I understand for the investors but it isn't as safe as people might think it is.

It left a sour taste in my mouth and I got tired of being called names and being SHAMED. Stay away from it-seriously!!! It's great for finding lost and found pets etc but once you get into anything about crime in the area - people *Some* call you names in private message and on the forum. Bad experience and others are saying the same thing!

You might say "Oh gee, she is just full of sour grapes" but the truth is I had left Nextdoor a few times due to the way a very few (mostly young men) were treating others including myself on Nextdoor. The straw that broke the camels back was when I was describing a perpetrator in a robbery I saw at our neighborhood CVS.

Our Leads were good people but I think their hands were tied. You have to build a case before you go to Nextdoor therefore BULLIES are protected and they seem to want them for reasons I will never understand. Oh wait...I do understand...they do not want members to leave therefore they get rid of the ones who are truthful-honest and I also think it's related to the Real Estate world as well. Just a hunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 02:17 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
I tried it for a little bit but found it pretty much useless.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:26 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
U mad bro?

Old 02-07-2022, 01:38 PM

I tried using Nextdoor again, and the same old junk. I do want to make it clear - every community is different as well as their use of Nextdoor.

Unfortunately, Nextdoor has changed a lot here where we are. I have found that it is not the place for the folks who are in our age group (Boomers). At least not where we live. Our Watch program is great and independent of Nextdoor. We are a small community but they (Nextdoor) have expanded who sees our posts now. We are talking far from where we live if that makes sense. Yes, you can change your settings which I finally did before I signed off in December.

I was attacked in December 2021 by people I did not know - claimed they lived in our small community. Someone had taken my picture and made up a post with the caption including my FULL NAME and that I am a racist - it was put up in a thread on Nextdoor. I went ballistic when I saw it.

I spent a year on ND w/ NO issues until December when I questioned this man. Asked him if he was the same man asking for money (GoFund account) which he was - after I saw him asking if anyone had some Rolex Watches in the same box. Well, we know Rolex watches aren't cheap. This guy went completely nutty on me. I muted him and I did not know that you could now block people from messaging you in private. Well, he continued harassing me in Private Message. He and another young woman are the ones who posted this picture of me. That was it! I was done.

I reached out to Nextdoor and of course they sent me three things that might happen. I saw the writing on the wall - the people who were harassing me would probably NOT be suspended. I sent ND back a note and told them I would NOT be back on. My husband was furious w/ Nextdoor. I have talked to my neighbors on our block and they will not have anything to do with Nextdoor because of the targeting of others - In fact, many who use to be on Nextdoor are no longer on who were in my age group.

Where we live, many are longtime homeowners and the others are renters - there are some Section 8's here. I talked to one of the founders of our Watch program recently who I am friends with - he told me - please do not go back on Nextdoor. In October 2021, we had a total of 25 vehicles stolen. That's a lot of vehicles. Catalytic Converters another HUGE problem. We've had serious issues here. Porch pirates are always stealing from porches here. My husband and I use a security company but many use Ring. Our dog alerts always! I use to tell people get a dog.

My husband and I have owned our home since 2010. After my husband's mother passed - my husband wanted to buy the house from estate as it is a big house -lots of square feet and built in 1970 which is when his parents bought it. We had rented for years in the South Bay/Beach Cities. My husband retires in 4 yrs., and we will sell. Head for a rural area - peace and tranquility. We are now located just a few short miles south of LAX. We love the diversity - have GREAT neighbors but the criminals/homeless people are making their way into our communities and it no longer feels safe. I am a victim/survivor of a crime that took place years ago. I have PTSD due to it. Crime has always been a sore spot for me. I don't hate every day ordinary good people (no matter what color or ethnic background) - it's criminals I take issue with.

Lastly - I love City Data Forums and feel I am posting with people who are not out to hurt others. We may not always agree but there's civility here and it is MODERATED well. Good mix of folks which is why I came back. No one should be mistreated due to their views about certain issues.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:30 PM

26,741 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I tried using Nextdoor again, and the same old junk.
There's another thread on NextDoor here. It doesn't look as if too many people like it.

Nextdoor website - is it helpful?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...e-helpful.html

Old 02-07-2022, 04:44 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
LOl, I'm in California but I can imagine what it's like.

Every now and then I get and "invite" type of letter in my mailbodx to join our Nextdoor app for my community. I promptly tear it up.

Sounds absolutely awful.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:47 PM

1,071 posts, read 793,341 times
Nextdoor is awful. People complaining about very minor things, partisan bickering, and more recently, lots of people scamming for money. I "Mute" anyone that is just trying to start arguments or repeatedly asking for handouts. About the only thing it's good for is finding out what's going on locally with development or roadwork and other such community concerns. I try spend as little time there as possible.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:53 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
Takes foreaver to load, because of that I rarely click it.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:58 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
In our neighborhood Nextdoor, there are often squabbles, insults and stupid rants. This often centers around political viewpoints and even when it doesn't, it veers that direction. The truth is, you see some of this as well here on CityData. However, I'm amazed that you have neighbors bashing each other with insults and acting like children. It surprised me that this occurs even without the cloak of anonymity, like you have here on CD.

One thing I do like is that we get to be moderators on the ND forum. For the most part, at least it keeps the intolerant posts at bay, although many complain that this is censorship.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:08 PM

As I have said here - at least there is some civility here at CD Forums. I think ND has lost control of their platform. I will never go back. Nada! I have never had an issue here. It's moderated well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles