Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 PM

72 posts, read 148,804 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
My husband and I have a condo in Westwood and I'm really sick of HOA and the like. I grew up in apts and I want a house with a pool-- but Hollywood Hills too congested and pricey, and Weho, though having the right vibe--forget space and privacy, not to mention pools. Thus, am considering Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, south of the Boulevard for all.

WE do not have or want kids.
He works in Century City and since I am a photographer, whatever house I pick will be my studio. I may also move some friends/family out from the east coast to live in this house, so I need space.

I know these areas have different demographics and vibes-- much as I loved the movie 'Valley Girl' I suspect it is very different now-- i.e. Encino seems to be heavily Persian, at least the houses I have looked at.

So! Opinions on each area, we don't want to be in close quarters with screaming kids and conservative families.We love artists/musicians/actors/film people/, we are gay friendly, we like Whole Foods/Trader Joes/ little restaurants and need to be somewhere the rest of LA will come to visit, haha.They'll come if I have a pool, I say!

I know all of it is uber expensive, do you all think it will drop more? I'm eyeing the condo market in Westwood with trepidation... but the houses don't seem as affected.

And, I know, the commute for the husband will be evil, right now he is able to ride a bike to work, we can kiss that goodby.

Oh-- and I grew up in NYC-- so as bad as prices are here-- they are NOTHING like Manhattan, so it's more the feel I'm looking for here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
So let's see . . . you don't like Persians, kids or conservative families. You "love artists/musicians/actors/film people/" and are gay friendly so, presumably, Persians, kids an conservatives don't and aren't. But you want a pool so that people will like you and come to visit. And places are too expensive, but not as expensive as a place that you grew up in so you want the "feel."

I'm fairly conservative, don't have any issues with Persians, have two "kids," have no issues with artists/musicians/actors/film people/ and have many gay/lesbian friends and colleagues. I'm so confused. Suburbs of San Francisco? And, what's "gay-friendly?"

Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
So let's see . . . you don't like Persians, kids or conservative families. You "love artists/musicians/actors/film people/" and are gay friendly so, presumably, Persians, kids an conservatives don't and aren't. But you want a pool so that people will like you and come to visit. And places are too expensive, but not as expensive as a place that you grew up in so you want the "feel."

I'm fairly conservative, don't have any issues with Persians, have two "kids," have no issues with artists/musicians/actors/film people/ and have many gay/lesbian friends and colleagues. I'm so confused. Suburbs of San Francisco? And, what's "gay-friendly?"
Sigh, misunderstood at once. I dont care about Persians, but no, do not like Bushies. I have friends with kids, but I don't want to be in an area that revolves around them. The pool was a joke. I simply wanted someone who could give me an idea of the demographics and feel of each area. I guess it was a stupid question. Sorry. BTW gay friendly is simply RE term to save typing.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
not misunderstood at all. you were very clear about who you are.

happy house-hunting.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 PM

anyone else who can answer a direct question about these areas where I simply stated what I am looking for, as many people seem to on this forum. Sorry, Katenik, for expresing what I am looking for, and that you personally took offense.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
not offended, just amused by you "open-minded" liberals who can't even stand to live next door to people with different political beliefs.

i recommend santa monica.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
This is a dangerous board photogirlla . I pounced pretty hard just to give you an idea of how what we write on these boards reflects, rightly or wrongly, on how we're perceived as individuals. I don't think "bushies" are bad people any more than I think that "liberals" are bad people. I tend to disagree with both, depending on the topic.

You'll get some good info from folks here. As I've posted in the past, you caught me in a moment. Maybe it was that Edwards guy endorsing that Obama guy . . . or something like that.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogirlla View Post
... Thus, am considering Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, south of the Boulevard for all.

WE do not have or want kids. He works in Century City and since I am a photographer, whatever house I pick will be my studio. I may also move some friends/family out from the east coast to live in this house, so I need space.

I know these areas have different demographics and vibes-- much as I loved the movie 'Valley Girl' I suspect it is very different now-- i.e. Encino seems to be heavily Persian, at least the houses I have looked at.

So! Opinions on each area, we don't want to be in close quarters with screaming kids and conservative families.We love artists/musicians/actors/film people/, we are gay friendly, we like Whole Foods/Trader Joes/ little restaurants and need to be somewhere the rest of LA will come to visit, haha.They'll come if I have a pool, I say!

I know all of it is uber expensive, do you all think it will drop more? I'm eyeing the condo market in Westwood with trepidation... but the houses don't seem as affected.

And, I know, the commute for the husband will be evil, right now he is able to ride a bike to work, we can kiss that goodby.

Oh-- and I grew up in NYC-- so as bad as prices are here-- they are NOTHING like Manhattan, so it's more the feel I'm looking for here.
Valley Girl is a movie, not reality. It's hype. If you didn't grow up here and got your idea of the area from Valley Girl, you're living in a fantasy.

In the area you defined you got all that, the TJ (in fact the TJ at White Oak and Burbank that I've been patronizing since 1975). You got the trendy restaurants, got all that, no problem.

Got a Persian problem? I think you have issues, it's not a "Persian area." It's an uber-pricy area. Nobody cares who moves in as long as they finance the property costs.

Oh and we don't care about gay people as long as they can pay their rent or mortgage payments too. We are gay neutral. We don't care if it's mommy and daddy, or daddy and daddy, or mommy and mommy. In the area you defined the only requirement is that you have the necessary bucks to ante up.

There are plenty of musicians and actors and film people, although fewer artists. You should go to the Venice area for artists, or maybe a few lofters downtown. Most artists can't really afford the area you've delineated.

Nobody cares how many people you have living there as long as your cars are parked off the public streets.

So okay I hope we've cleared up your misconceptions and questions. You got $500K-$1M, go for it!!! Please invite me for your housewarming.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
not offended, just amused by you "open-minded" liberals who can't even stand to live next door to people with different political beliefs.

i recommend santa monica.

haha ok good shot katenic, you got me there-- I actually don't want to live right next to anyone if I can help it--its the growing up in NY with no space thing...no worries.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
This is a dangerous board photogirlla . I pounced pretty hard just to give you an idea of how what we write on these boards reflects, rightly or wrongly, on how we're perceived as individuals. I don't think "bushies" are bad people any more than I think that "liberals" are bad people. I tend to disagree with both, depending on the topic.

You'll get some good info from folks here. As I've posted in the past, you caught me in a moment. Maybe it was that Edwards guy endorsing that Obama guy . . . or something like that.
ok, duly warned, I'll steer clear of politics and stick to houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles