U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 06:32 PM

27 posts, read 110,283 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if the Hidden Valley Road area of Phillips Ranch in Pomona is a good area? I heard more bad than good about Pomona but if anyone has any information on this area i'd appreciate it. I welcome all comments and opinions.

Thank you,
TR
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:30 PM

162 posts, read 525,685 times
Phillips Ranch is a "different" area of Pomona than the area that is generally known as Pomona. It is up in the hills and much more yuppy-fied. I worked for a realtor who sold real estate -- and lived -- there for years and it was nice enough. I can't speak to Hidden Valley Road specifically, my memory isn't that good, and I don't know what changes if any have come to Phillips Ranch in the years since I moved from the area, but it might be worth checking out.

If you like cooler weather though and lower crime stats, I'll still say you might check out Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park (which is an area of Thousand Oaks), Westlake (two places, one an area of Thousand Oaks in Ventura County, the other an incorporated city of its own in LA County), Oak Park, Agoura and Simi Valley.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:42 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,800,305 times
Phillips Ranch is a very nice area just up the road from Cal Poly Pomona. It's the only area of Pomona I would consider "nice".

Old 05-18-2008, 08:16 PM

I agree about Phillips Ranch being mainly the only area that would be "nice" in Pomona -- maybe also Ganesha Hills which if I remember correctly is also part of the city of Pomona. An older area of nice ranch style homes around the back side of that hill with Pomona Valley Mining Company restaurant. Sorry it's been so long I can't remember the names of streets -- the offramp used to be Ganesha but I think they changed it to something to do with the Fair.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 PM

27 posts, read 110,283 times
Thank you! You'be been very helpful! I really love the home we found there it is more than enough square footage than we thought we'd get and it has quite a bit of land so that we are not right on top of our neighbor. We are still checking out other areas but we put a refundable deposit on this house to hold it for another 2 weeks until we decide.

You all are great!

TR

Old 05-18-2008, 09:21 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,800,305 times
The Phillips Ranch area is very family oriented and close to West Covina and Claremont. Both are great for shooping and entertainment. It really is a very nice area. I don't know how old your children are, but you may want to consider if they are old enough or when they get old enough sending them to Ipoly High. It's the feeder high school for Cal Poly located on the campus. Obviously, those students get first consideration.

Good Luck with your move. Your excitement is well placed.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM

15,085 posts, read 18,044,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
I agree about Phillips Ranch being mainly the only area that would be "nice" in Pomona -- maybe also Ganesha Hills which if I remember correctly is also part of the city of Pomona. An older area of nice ranch style homes around the back side of that hill with Pomona Valley Mining Company restaurant. Sorry it's been so long I can't remember the names of streets -- the offramp used to be Ganesha but I think they changed it to something to do with the Fair.
Fairplex Drive.

I agree about Ganesha Hills and Phillips Ranch being nicer than most of Pomona. The last time I checked, Ganesha Hills was a gated community. The OP may also want to try Lincoln Park located, generally, west of Towne Avenue, east of Garey Avenue, north of Holt Avenue, and south of I-10. Lots of nice, early 20th century homes with lots of character. I grew up in Pomona. If I were to move back, I'd move there.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Fairplex Drive.

I agree about Ganesha Hills and Phillips Ranch being nicer than most of Pomona. The last time I checked, Ganesha Hills was a gated community. The OP may also want to try Lincoln Park located, generally, west of Towne Avenue, east of Garey Avenue, north of Holt Avenue, and south of I-10. Lots of nice, early 20th century homes with lots of character. I grew up in Pomona. If I were to move back, I'd move there.
There is a part of Ganesha Hills that I think is gated -- Mountain Meadows? The agent I worked for sold and resold homes in there for years, he was like "the" Mountain Meadows agent. That neighborhood is right off Ganesha (sorry, Fairplex) on the right as you go up the hill and over. Then when you get down the hill and deadend I think into the fair grounds, you turn right and go down a bit and then right again up into the hill. There are homes there around the back side that is just a regular neighborhood -- unless they changed it -- of older homes on windy somewhat hilly streets, no gates.

Sounds like the OP is settling on Phillips Ranch, hope everything works out! I find it odd always to think of Phillips Ranch as Pomona, it feels really more like Walnut.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM

6,211 posts, read 8,687,525 times
I'm not familiar w/ the Hidden Valley Road area, but my mom has a friend who lives in Phillips Ranch, so I've been a couple times. I personally don't really like the area myself. It's just one of those things where you can't put your finger on it, but something's off.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,282 times
That sounds ignorant. There is nothing "off" about Phillips Ranch. It's a great place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles