Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 12:53 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times

Advertisements

I had no idea that Winchell's still existed. So many 3:00 a.m. donut/hot chocolate runs with my college roommates. The frosted devil's food donut was nirvana.

Regarding Randy's, I haven't had one in years. I thought they were only in Inglewood.

Krispy Kreme is too sweet. I tried Dunkin at my kid's house. No. I will never be that hungry.

I don't like Voodoo, too much weird stuff on them, like fruitloops.

I don't like Top Pot AT ALL, but Seattle's peeps have weird food loyalties, look at Dick's Burgers.

I just realized how old this thread is so my donut thesis is over. Track down a Winchell's when you visit again, you'll thank me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 04:55 PM

12 posts, read 6,177 times
Dunkin’ Donuts is not good at all. If it was between Dunkin’ and nothing, I’d choose nothing.

Old 04-30-2022, 04:57 PM

12 posts, read 6,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I had no idea that Winchell's still existed. So many 3:00 a.m. donut/hot chocolate runs with my college roommates. The frosted devil's food donut was nirvana.

Regarding Randy's, I haven't had one in years. I thought they were only in Inglewood.

Krispy Kreme is too sweet. I tried Dunkin at my kid's house. No. I will never be that hungry.

I don't like Voodoo, too much weird stuff on them, like fruitloops.

I don't like Top Pot AT ALL, but Seattle's peeps have weird food loyalties, look at Dick's Burgers.

I just realized how old this thread is so my donut thesis is over. Track down a Winchell's when you visit again, you'll thank me.
Someone bought Randy’s and is opening a few new shops. I heard there’s one opening here in burbank.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:43 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Winchell's are, hands down, the BEST donuts on the planet!! I don't know what happened to them, they used to be everywhere, now I don't know where there is one near me, near the 605 and 405 freeway intersection.
I know there is one in Garden Grove, but it's a bit of a ways.
60 Minutes did a story back in the 80s about it. There was a Cambodian General refuge who got a Winchell's franchise and that inspired many of his countrymen to go into the donuts shop business when they immigrated to the states. After awhile many of those franchise shops were pushed out of the market in favor of those independent donuts and sandwich shops. Without a giant donut on the roof they were just small eatery stands and none got the reputation that you have to travel to this particular donuts shop. In the years since the children and grandchildren of the refugee shop owners moved on and the big chains started regaining their market share.

In a way it was similar to Vietnamese refugees breaking the nail salons out of the full service beauty shops that also did hair which required a state license which Vietnamese and French speakers had a problem passing.

Old 05-01-2022, 03:06 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
60 Minutes did a story back in the 80s about it. There was a Cambodian General refuge who got a Winchell's franchise and that inspired many of his countrymen to go into the donuts shop business when they immigrated to the states. After awhile many of those franchise shops were pushed out of the market in favor of those independent donuts and sandwich shops. Without a giant donut on the roof they were just small eatery stands and none got the reputation that you have to travel to this particular donuts shop. In the years since the children and grandchildren of the refugee shop owners moved on and the big chains started regaining their market share.

In a way it was similar to Vietnamese refugees breaking the nail salons out of the full service beauty shops that also did hair which required a state license which Vietnamese and French speakers had a problem passing.
PBS did a documentary on him called “the Donut King”. It’s on Hulu.

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/...he-donut-king/

Old 05-01-2022, 03:32 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
PBS did a documentary on him called “the Donut King”. It’s on Hulu.

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/...he-donut-king/
I never knew about the later crash of the General's empire. I'll have to check this out sometime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles