Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 11:30 AM

58 posts, read 95,760 times

Advertisements

Yeah I did. I didn't mention though the job requires 6am -2pm shift which I am trying to see if they will negotiate. And I think they said some unpaid overtime. And the fact that it is not really like OC is kind of holding me back and making considering waiting for a better opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 02:14 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
Yeah I did. I didn't mention though the job requires 6am -2pm shift which I am trying to see if they will negotiate. And I think they said some unpaid overtime. And the fact that it is not really like OC is kind of holding me back and making considering waiting for a better opportunity.
Wow! what kind of union would accept unpaid overtime for their members? Where my son works he gets paid for a fixed number of overtime hours in his paycheck. If he doesn't work OT he keeps it, if he works more than the stated hours he doesn't get extra pay.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:55 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
Anyone here work for LA County and what is that like? Has anyone negotiated a higher starting salary? I have a job offer I am considering here in the Chinatown area. Pay would be almost 30K less than what I currently make in a low cost of living area (my hometown) on the east coast working at a private company. Is it worth taking such a paycut for a stable county job? Is a county job really hard to get? Applied a year ago almost and recently got the offer. I am miserable and bored here and I used to live in Orange County for a couple of years before moving back and now desperately want to move back to So Cal. I'm a single man in early 30's, no kids, marriage, debt, responsibilities and actually prefer working in an office. I don't mind living with roommates in a shared house since I probably can't afford a nice apartment with that salary. I am definitely overqualified for the position based on education/experience but I am at the point where I just want to be able to do what I am told and then go home, and not have to worry about job security.
Don't do it. Trust me on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles