Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:18 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I vividly remember the weather for both the 1994 Northridge quake and the Feb 9 1971 Sylmar quake. Both days were very warm winter days.
Maybe this is where the "shake and bake" earthquake theory comes from....the weather from the last two big quakes here. From what I've read, it still remains an unproven theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Maybe this is where the "shake and bake" earthquake theory comes from....the weather from the last two big quakes here. From what I've read, it still remains an unproven theory.
It remains an unproven theory because it's an incorrect theory. Earthquakes have nothing to do with weather, or vice versa. Earthquakes are caused by the geologic strain building up from movement of the tectonic plates, and the pressure reaching the breaking point and the quake occurs. Weather doesn't play any part in that process.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times
Dont live in fear. The BIG ONES are far and few between. By the time you realize we're having one, its over. They only last a few seconds. I have lived in So Cal my whole life and there have only been 2 big ones (Im in my 40s).

I do suggest being prepared. Make an earthquake kit (non-perishable food, water, blankets, first aid kit, radio, flashlight, matches) put it in a sturdy plastic box that will be easily accessed if you need to leave quick. I also have small 'kits' in each car, in case we get stranded somewhere. You can go a little further and strap furniture to the wall, strap your water heater securely to the wall, and then just relax and live your life! I dont predict the next one until at least 2014

Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 PM

27 posts, read 86,917 times
Though the weather has been weird across the country (we even had an earthquake in Illinois!), it doesn't have anything to do with quakes. Don't be afraid!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:02 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
[...] Weather doesn't play any part in that process.
True, although many Californians are familiar with the phrase: "Hmm - this feels like earthquake weather." For this CA native, "earthquake weather" is when it's warm and you suddenly are aware that it has become unusually still and eerily quiet.

Lindasuedallas, there's no need to live your life in fear of earthquakes. They do happen daily, but damaging ones are indeed few and far between. The worst part of the vast majority of quakes is that there is no warning. The best part is they are over quickly, seldom cause injury/death/damage, and, at least until "The Big One" actually hits, provide justification for having parties in the streets!

To add to SoCalMomma's great suggestion of having a disaster preparedness kit always at the ready, your planning & kit should also include a contact person OUTSIDE the area who all family members/loved ones are to check in with ASAP after the event. I learned this the hard way after riding out the Loma Prieta quake in '89. I lived in Silicon Valley at the time and had family & loved ones in SJ, Santa Cruz, and the SF area. Because we had not prearranged a "welfare check" contact, nobody knew who was safe and who wasn't. *That* was more frightening than the quake itself.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:02 PM

81 posts, read 339,315 times
I don't know that much about earthquakes, but clearly the weather around the globe is strange. The Midwest has had some of the deadliest tornadoes on record in the last couple of years. Winters are particularly harsh now in the Northeast part of the country. To me, to have scorching heat one day and chilly the next is not only hard on people, but I think hard on the soil as well.

Not to be a doomsayer, but frankly, Los Angeles is long overdue for an earthquake. But, Sylmar and Northridge were 23 years apart, so maybe we have 9 more years to get out

Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 PM

30 posts, read 87,244 times
who the hell can remember that far back? its always super hot and super cold this time of year no?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananagans View Post
who the hell can remember that far back? its always super hot and super cold this time of year no?
I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles