U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 AM

49 posts, read 231,084 times

Advertisements

I work in Northridge and more and more people are saying that the type of weather extremes we're having this spring/summer are similar to the weather patterns the year of the 1994 earthquake, e.g., hot one day; cold the next. With all the recent earthquake activity and obviously China happening, is there any correlation between temperature extremes and earthquakes. '

And, does earthquake activity in one part of the globe "release" any tension that would minimize the odds of an earthquake here?

I just moved here and didn't realize how in fear I would be every day of being in an earthquake. I avoid bridges, elevators...don't think I can live like this for very long. Is this just "new to the area" fears and will they diminish over time? (can't say all the Reno earthquake and China ones are helping to diminish my fear at all).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 12:25 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,787,619 times
earthquakes that you can truely feel are very rare and very rarely are they deadly. not to be too blunt, but if you cant cope with that you'll never be happy here

Old 05-18-2008, 12:55 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,875,683 times
this is normal LA spring weather: scorching, warm, chilly, chilly, warm, scorching, rinse, repeat. by july, it will be scorching, scorching, scorching. it has nothing to do with earthquakes.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 PM

162 posts, read 525,803 times
It is hot now, and yes it was hot before the Northridge quake. But if a quake like that hit every time it was this hot, pretty much So Cal would be flattened by now I figure.

Does hot have anything to do with triggering a quake? They say not, but who knows, perhaps it plays some tiny part in a highly complex and only partially understood process. Not enough of a part though apparently to use it as a gauge to an impending serious earthquake.

katenik is right, this is normal for this time of year. Next month we'll have some cooler weather especially coastal with the "June gloom." After that hot hot hot July through September and often sporadic heat after that in the fall, with the Santa Ana winds kicking up.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 PM

236 posts, read 1,060,939 times
You can check out the recent california earthquakes here:

Maps of Recent Earthquake Activity in California-Nevada

As you will see, there are tiny earthquakes happening throughout the state every hour. The big one(s) will come when it comes. Don't live your life in fear of it though.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:31 PM

14,527 posts, read 16,126,240 times
Earthquakes have nothing to do with the weather.

The Northridge earthquake happened on Jan. 17th, 1994. I couldn't get any statistics for the weather on that day (nobody has it as far as I can find) but it was winter then and we're having a hot spell now so I doubt it was the same weather at all.

Even if weather did affect earthquakes.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:34 PM

162 posts, read 525,803 times
I can't say it was as hot as it is recently, but it was warm even if winter -- I remember that because we had plans to go to a water park that day. So I would say it was perhaps "unseasonably warm" which I guess maybe people think this current weather is also (even though it isn't since we get plenty of hot weather in May, and often earlier than that).

But, I agree with you lovehound, weather has nothing to do with earthquakes, and even if it did, it would be so complex we'd never have a clue what role it played in one.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:42 PM

Hey, I just looked in my garbage can, and THE GARBAGE TODAY IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE GARBAGE WAS ON THE DAY OF THE NORTHRIDGE QUAKE!!!!!

Run for your lives!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:58 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,723,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The Northridge earthquake happened on Jan. 17th, 1994. I couldn't get any statistics for the weather on that day (nobody has it as far as I can find) but it was winter then and we're having a hot spell now so I doubt it was the same weather at all.
I vividly remember the weather for both the 1994 Northridge quake and the Feb 9 1971 Sylmar quake. Both days were very warm winter days in the 80s.

I distinctly remember shooting hoops in my front yard because my school, Our Lady of Malibu was closed. I lived in Canoga Park in 1971; I was 9.

In 1994 I remember sitting in my backyard reading in the hot sun working on my burn. I remember an aftershock and watched the ground move. The power went on around 3PM that day in 1994.

Some things you never forget.

Last edited by Charles; 05-18-2008 at 08:26 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In 1994 I remember sitting in my backyard reading in the hot sun working on my burn. I remember an aftershock and watched the ground move. The power went on around 3PM that day in 1994.

Some things you never forget.
Well yeah but both quakes were either predawn or nearly dawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or