Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 20,558 times

Advertisements

Hey im 20 years old, this would be the first time ever doing somthing like this, i was was thinking about going to la for a few weeks.. any advice on were to stay. were to go or anything at all.. i have about a thousand dollors so i dont know how long that would last me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:05 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,076 times
there is no way you can stay in la for a few weeks with only $1000, that might last you 3 or 4 days, but definantly not 2-3 weeks.

if flying, you're looking at $300 for a ticket. if driving, around $600 for gas.

then you have at least $100 a night for hotel, $200 for food, and depending on what type of things yout want to do out here, another $500.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:38 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
that's correct. on your budget, you can spend a long weekend here if you stay at a cheap motel. memorial day is coming up.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 20,558 times
well i was thinking about just staying in hostels... and just riding the bus around. and just not really spending money. i just wana get a away for a little bit

Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterhero View Post
well i was thinking about just staying in hostels... and just riding the bus around. and just not really spending money. i just wana get a away for a little bit
why not go camping somewhere? LA isn't the kind of place that can be enjoyed without spending money.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:34 PM

162 posts, read 572,559 times
Just curious, did you have some place in particular in mind? Because Los Angeles is a big place, very spread out. If you are going to live cheaply I'm thinking you'd want to be more or less in the area you are interested in.

Even then, I'm not sure $1k would get you through more than a week, at best, and that's assuming that doesn't include air fare. You could perhaps camp in the Santa Monica Mountains, either LA or Ventura County, but not sure that's the experience you're after.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Okay, Here's vacationing on the cheap: If you give yourself at least two weeks in advance, you can find a flight (round trip) for around $200, and staying a hostels is a good way to stretch your dollars (around $ 25 a night) there is one in Hollywood, Westwood (UCLA) and Venice. There maybe others you can look them up online. If you want to use public transportation, you can get an unlimited use pass for $5 per day. Be warned: the busses are notoriously unreliable. Food can be done for $10 per day, if you go the fast food route. This budget will buy you two weeks plus a couple hundred dollars in spending money. Enjoy your stay.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Okay, Here's vacationing on the cheap: If you give yourself at least two weeks in advance, you can find a flight (round trip) for around $200, and staying a hostels is a good way to stretch your dollars (around $ 25 a night) there is one in Hollywood, Westwood (UCLA) and Venice. There maybe others you can look them up online. If you want to use public transportation, you can get an unlimited use pass for $5 per day. Be warned: the busses are notoriously unreliable. Food can be done for $10 per day, if you go the fast food route. This budget will buy you two weeks plus a couple hundred dollars in spending money. Enjoy your stay.
Wow! that's great CESpeed! I would have bet it couldn't be done but obviously it can!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:29 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Thanks for posting this. I was getting mad at these replies from people that think it can't be done.

To the OP, don't even bother renting a car if you plan on staying a few weeks. Just get a room at a hostel or maybe a weekly rate at a Travel Lodge or something. Stay in the heart of the Westside, ie Santa Monica, Hollywood, Venice etc and do things that are walkable or bussable. There is plenty to keep you occupied for a first time LA visitor. Walk down Sunset Strip, go to Venice Beach, hang out in Santa Monica / Santa Monica Blvd, 3rd St. Promenade, Melrose Avenue...Visit Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive for a WOW experience. Go to Hollywood and see the stars on the sidewalk...etc, etc.. Just get a LA guidebook and go for it.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:33 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Oh wait, you say that you are 20 years old. I guess there goes the idea of the rental car anyhow ( a person needs to be at least 25 years old ??? right? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles