U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 36,506 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm a prospective student at CSUN. I want to major in television production and wanted to know what kind of reputation CSUN has in Los Angeles.. I'd just like to hear general thoughts or comments about Northridge..

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 PM

12 posts, read 254,224 times
CSUn is a great school for accounting and teacher education. It's a large commuter school, but there are lots of nice apartments close to the campus. By and large, it's a pretty good school. I've met a few film students and they all said it was an excellent rigorous program. It doesn't have the cache' of Ucla/Usc but I believe you will believe you will receive a very good education there. The CSU's are a bargain for what you get. Also, they are constructing a huge performing arts center that will house the film program.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:49 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,803,241 times
CSUN has an excellent reputation in L.A. The campus itself considered a favorite location for TV and Film porductions. Once you get to know the campus, you'll recognize it in several films like Legally Blonde 2 and the Oviatt Library is the main building for Sky High.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:48 AM

190 posts, read 404,932 times
This is great news, I'm going to visit CSUN along with several other socal campuses and apply as a transfer student next year. I'm a computer science major. Thanks guys!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:51 AM

14,527 posts, read 16,126,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMUR22 View Post
Hey I'm a prospective student at CSUN. I want to major in television production and wanted to know what kind of reputation CSUN has in Los Angeles.. I'd just like to hear general thoughts or comments about Northridge...
I haven't attended CSUN but I understand CSUN is well thought of. It is popular to attend two years there and then transfer to UCLA or USC for a degree.

Northridge is nice and some parts are very nice. Maybe not as nice as Westwood where I attended college. Nicer than Van Nuys where I lived at the time though.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,598 times
Has anyone out there attended Cal State Northridge to get a BA in Music Industry? If so, how was it especially the recording portion of the classes?

Old 10-15-2011, 02:21 PM

59 posts, read 278,120 times
CSUN is a fine school. I have a family member who attends and there has never been any kind of a personal safety problem so far. Campus looks well maintained, clean and modern. The family member is happy there and likes it a great deal.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,830,508 times
Why do you ask only about CSUN's reputation in L.A.? Because you hope to work in the TV industry and figure that's mainly in Los Angeles? Considering how tough it is to get into that line of work, I think CSUN's reputation is not your only concern. What exactly do you hope to do? What skills do you have? If you're asking about the reputation of CSUN's TV-related programs, then you should be talking to people in the industry (more important than the school's general reputation among the general populace). There may be programs better known (e.g., USC, UCLA, California Institute of the Arts), but they could also be much more expensive and perhaps tougher to get into. And they may not be better for your particular objectives. Are you considering other schools as well? Have you talked to advisors at the school about the placement record of students graduating from the same program? BTW, televsision production is an awfully broad term, so it might help if you specified exactly what aspect you hope to specialize in.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:24 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,259,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I haven't attended CSUN but I understand CSUN is well thought of. It is popular to attend two years there and then transfer to UCLA or USC for a degree.
Who transfers from a CSU to an UC? That's a ridiculous college plan.

The best plan is to transfer from a community college to an UC.

Not only would the person pay much, much less for CC tuition compared to CSU tuition, he or she would also have top transfer priority over any other type of transfer to UC--including CSU to UC (which has zero priority, AFAIK).

Also, almost all credit CC classes are designed to be transferable to CSU/UC. Getting UC credits for CSU classes could be a lot trickier.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:08 PM

16,250 posts, read 27,790,164 times
Like genjy, I don't know anyone that has transfered from CSUN to UCLA or USC. Not that it hasn't happened. The prescribed transfer situation is to attend a Community College and transfer to either a CSU or a UC. I have heard of people completing a Bachelors at CSUN and going on to a Masters program at another school. It could be possible that a CSUN grad transfered to UCLA or USC to persue a Masters Degree. Then again their may be someone out there that had a dream to attend USC or UCLA and went to CSUN to pass the time till they could get in. Not saying it hasn't happened I just haven't witnessed it yet.

CSUN does have a very good Engineering Department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles