Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 06:07 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

As for the greater Los Angeles County area, look no farther (no pun intended) than the original Gone in Sixty Seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7GxsqarUfA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 06:19 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Bosch, Beverly Hills Cop, The Rocketeer, Point Break, Speed (also with Keanu Reeves, just driving around LA in a bus).

Gone in 60 seconds (with Jolie, and Nic Cage), Terminator 1 and 2, Clueless, American History X, City of Angels.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I think that it's Bosch and Insecure, probably in that order. Both of those feature real places in LA that are part of the story, not just in the background like some of the others already mentioned.

Bosch is mostly downtown, Hollywood, South LA, and Venice. They use real LA landmarks and restaurants as sets, mention the real names of places, and everywhere is realistically spaced unlike most shows where they drive from downtown to San Pedro and then Malibu, all in 10 minutes.

Insecure has featured places in Inglewood and South LA that don't usually get shown like Baldwin Hills and downtown Inglewood, but they usually change the name of the restaurant, school, or bar or just don't mention it. They often don't show them outside going in and that makes it hard to tell where they are when you just see them sitting at a table. When they go north of Washington Blvd, it's usually to DTLA where Molly works and lives. They randomly went to Little Ethiopia once. I didn't see most of this season so maybe they did more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Probably because Michael Connelly, the author of the books from which the show was adapted, insisted on using those locations.

One of the attractions of Michael Connelly’s writing is his characterization of LA or rather, his depiction of LA as character. It turns out that when Connelly made the deal with Amazon, he made it clear, the series had to be shot in Los Angeles.

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/d...onnellys-bosch

The ultimate guide to "Bosch" locations in L.A.:
https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/v...ming-locations
Bosch introduced me to Musso and Frank's. I gotta go there one day.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:26 PM

Also the TV Show Graceland on USA. Most underrated show of the 2010s.

The Shield is pretty good too.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:03 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
I would say you can make an argument for Insecure, or atleast one that we’ve never seen on screen before. I would also say that’s true of Bosch.

Netflix has City of Ghosts which is animation, yet shows one of the best representations of LA neighborhoods I’ve seen. It’s also one that many people live, but rarely see on screen.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:18 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Bosch, Beverly Hills Cop, The Rocketeer, Point Break, Speed (also with Keanu Reeves, just driving around LA in a bus).

Gone in 60 seconds (with Jolie, and Nic Cage), Terminator 1 and 2, Clueless, American History X, City of Angels.
Boooooo! The remake can't hold a candle to the rawness of the original Gone in 60 Seconds. The remake should have been called Gone in One Second because that's what happens when I'm surfing the guide and I see it.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:56 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-IPBsLlrI&t=67s

Old 01-04-2022, 02:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Boooooo! The remake can't hold a candle to the rawness of the original Gone in 60 Seconds. The remake should have been called Gone in One Second because that's what happens when I'm surfing the guide and I see it.
I loved the original Gone in 60 seconds and still have a copy to watch. It reminds me of what the LA and Long beach area was like when I grew up in Southern CA. It kinda shows why so many people wanted to move to CA then. Much more crowded now.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I never said it is a good movie. I never saw original version.

Also, honorable mention is Karate Kid. You have those garden style apartment buildings. The ones that look like a hotel.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:16 AM

154 posts, read 115,679 times
It's a little dated now, but can't believe I forgot Colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles